Is my style dead?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by ieuo, Nov 8, 2010.

1. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

try dailymotion.com. i've had success with it when youtube acts like an idiot.

2. ieuo

ieuo Valued Member

Got the video working, but I warn you all its not my best and I had a lot of interuptions. Ill have everything up shortly.

3. ieuo

ieuo Valued Member

Daily motion is quoting me 3 hours for one video 1 hour for another, and youtube is quoting me 337 minutes for the other. No video I'm attempting is even close to 5 minutes in length.... :mad: I'm sticking with it and will upload each as they are finished.

4. ieuo

ieuo Valued Member

First off, I apologize for the wait the videos just took forever to load and I can't figure out why. Thank you Fish of Doom, your advice helped greatly.

I'm going to attemt far better qality tomorrow, better movement on my part and better video quality and recodring also. Here are the few smatterings of video I did get working:

Impropmtu pre-taping session. Horrendous explanation of principles, shoes I had on had far more grip than I was used to and my laundry day pants were messing up my foot work and thus stance. However my friend was oddly "aggressive" so you should see some fair impromptu demonstraton speed fighting movements.
    <object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/sruH7RJs9oI?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/sruH7RJs9oI?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

These video covers 3 of the stepping methods in the yellow belt along with a single principle from the red belt. I think I did a terrible job here. We moved inside because it was too cold lol.

<object width="480" height="320"><param name="movie" value="http://www.dailymotion.com/swf/video/xfmndn?additionalInfos=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed type="application/x-shockwave-flash" src="http://www.dailymotion.com/swf/video/xfmndn?additionalInfos=0" width="480" height="320" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always"></embed></object><br /><b><a href="http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xfmndn_stepping-methods_sport">Stepping methods</a></b><br /><i>Uploaded by <a href="http://www.dailymotion.com/Ieuo">Ieuo</a>. - <a href="http://www.dailymotion.com/us/channel/sport">Discover the latest sports and extreme videos.</a></i>

Another principle from the red belt, also trapping and another example of footwork.
    Just so you know, I was getting really fustrated by this point as we had started at six, It was now7:30 and we only had 3 videos of very poor quality done and the interruptions were increasing. I was exp[ecting 6 high quality very informative videos. I was going to go into more detail but just didnt have the time.

<object width="480" height="320"><param name="movie" value="http://www.dailymotion.com/swf/video/xfmndq?additionalInfos=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed type="application/x-shockwave-flash" src="http://www.dailymotion.com/swf/video/xfmndq?additionalInfos=0" width="480" height="320" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always"></embed></object><br /><b><a href="http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xfmndq_trapping-by-principle_sport">Trapping by Principle</a></b><br /><i>Uploaded by <a href="http://www.dailymotion.com/Ieuo">Ieuo</a>. - <a href="http://www.dailymotion.com/us/channel/sport">Basketball, baseball, pro wrestling and more sports videos.</a></i>

I'm going ty attempt some better quality videos tommorow.

I'll cover areas from belts white to green. Aside from that Iagain apologize for both quality of material and time it took.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2010
  5. ieuo

ieuo Valued Member

6. Chris Parker

Chris Parker Valued Member

Unfortunately, none of this is a very good sign for any form of authenticity. There is nothing "Japanese" in the feeling of movement here, there is no understanding of power source or movement, there are some superficial similarities to Wing Chun, but that's about the closest I can find to anything, really.

It looks like your teacher had a tiny bit of Wing Chun, or learnt from a book or video, or just adopted some aspects from there, and taught you a frankly baseless invented system. So I'm not holding out any hope of finding any evidence of this martial art, as I would say the art never existed in the first place. The best advice is simply to find a proper school and study there, and forget anything that this previous teacher "taught" you, it won't really help at all. A lot of what I saw in the clip is frankly far below advisable in application.

Oh, and while I'm here....

The Japanese history here is rather mixed up, frankly. Yamabushi as a concept are not what you are describing here, the period of isolation was a number of centuries later, and most Japanese tend to be rather happy with poly-theisism (in other words, there is no issue being both Buddhist and Shinto at the same time). This is beyond a "wild history", it's a few words put together in the hope that it's plausible. And it doesn't quite cut it, I'm afraid.

7. ieuo

ieuo Valued Member

Please wait until at least the third video is up, after that feel free to say anything, good or bad. It's 2:44 am over here and I'm doing what I can. The two videos that are up are not meant to show power or how the system looks at all. Nor do my clothes really allow for this. However there are many times where I did destroy his root from these movements alone in the video. Also I never said it is exactly like wing tsun/chun. I said it has similarities, based off f my interpretation of 4 years in leung tings system (I'm not bragging, seriously I would rather have been with duncan leungs, just pointing out that I'm not just talking ut of my a**)

Again this was my admitedly terrible attempt at describing a few principles. They have however worked for me without fail.

I'm not a great teacher, but I was hoping these clips may prove useful. Perhaps not.

I said the history was terrble.

Despite my above comments, I do take what you say into consideration.

8. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

[​IMG]

9. ieuo

ieuo Valued Member

Both of these are contained in the green belt, deception is taught by demonstrating errors in thinking and how to exploit them. For example make a large step back with a shift to the side, look like a small step back.

Power is taught with striking methods such as striking a hard surface ( a wall for example) slowly and graduallly increase speed and force until full force blast are hitting the wall. Or even just proper body alignment, directing force through the body etc.

I came across another person who claimed ot have learned the same system yes, but he gave it a different name. However everything was basically the same and in place. He is 28 now and says he still practices what he was taught.

Trust me, the history is very bogus. It would be far more detrimental then helpful.

10. ieuo

ieuo Valued Member

Last vid is now up, 3:45 am I'm done with these forums for a few days, sleep and life call. Bring your opinions good and bad.:zzz:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sruH7RJs9oI"]YouTube - Impromptu[/ame]

11. Aegis

Aegis River Guardian Admin Supporter

Sorry to be so blunt, but this is an incredibly stupid method of teaching power generation. If you punch an object with no give in it at all, like a wall, you can expect to have very serious joint problems as you get older, as there is no doubt that you will badly mess up your knuckles and other striking points.

There's a reason why full contact fighters use pads and bags when developing their striking power.

12. kuntaoer

kuntaoer Valued Member

UHHHH ERRRR YEAH???? OK Looks a lot like an art I had exposure to in Korea.. It was called Fulinyu

13. Chris Parker

Chris Parker Valued Member

Hmm, watched all three now, the newest one seems to just be a repeat of things in the first one you put up, with more laughter from your camera-person. Not that I blame them, honestly.

If these videos are not meant to show how the system works, and the reason you did them was a request from a member to see how the system works, then what is the point of the videos? They are showing a system but not showing a system? Really, if there was any basis to this system it should be evident through any demonstration done (some basic structure, some sense of power development, not just "hitting walls", that isn't power development, it's just hitting walls, etc), regardless of what you were wearing. And how do loose clothes stop you from being able to move? Just don't get that....

No where that I saw was any "root destroyed". Nor was there anything that I would rely on on anyone even half my size, really. The lack of an attacker helped you a bit, but not that much, honestly.

No, you didn't say that it was "exactly" Wing Chun, I said that the closest I could see was a few similarities to the system in some of the mechanics. That said, if that was the result of 4 years in Wing Chun for you, well, I would have gone with 4 months if I was guessing based on your clips. No bragging necessary on your part, I'm afraid.

I get that you were just running through principles here, unfortunately they have no basis in the actual principles required. You were more going through some strategic approaches, rather than the actual principles that would make up a martial system (such as principles of posture, power source, movement etc). So it fails on that count as a system in the first place, before we even get to the idea of it being a legitimate (established, pre-existing) system.

Can you talk about these times it has "worked without fail"? I'm not seeing much that I'd rely on, honestly.

The question then would be what did you think they would help with? If they don't show the system, the way it moves, it's power source, and can't do so due to the way you were dressed (?), really, what was the point of them?

The history isn't just terrible, it is downright wrong. And that is one of the first hallmarks of a fraudulant system. So far there is nothing that has been presented, or anyone has found, that supports this art being anything more than a fantasy creation. And that's stating it gently, honestly.

14. Doublejab

Doublejab formally Snoop

This is very true.

Its also worth mentioning that not only is hitting very hard immovable objects damaging to your joints, its also very unrealistic. People move before you go to hit them and as you hit them. Hitting a punchbag that swings or a floor-to-ceiling ball or pads is actually far more realistic than hitting a wall.

15. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

People who advocate solid objects simply don't understand basic physics.

When you first hit something, at initial impact all the force you generated goes into your target. Since for every action there's a reaction, now the reactionary force comes back into YOU. If you are more solid than what you're hitting (i.e. you're well-balanced and your opponent isn't at that time), the force then can actually bound back into your opponent, creating a secondary force. However, if you hit a wall or some other solid immovable object that is much larger than you, guess where all that secondary force goes to? Back to your fragile little hand. Guess who wins in the long run? Not your hand.

16. kikentai

kikentai Valued Member

Yup, it is probably dead. It sounds like your guy (if he exists) made up something up or it is an import from China and changed to be Japanese and finally what you learned.

It reminds me of this kind of stuff. Which is basically Tai Chi.
    http://www.bab.co.jp/hiden/dvd/07taikiken/index.html

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7sISKtrqWk"]YouTube - 島田道男 太気拳[/ame]

17. Axelator

Axelator Not called Alex.

Nice, I think I've been proved right. I disagree with nearly all the principles you demonstarted in your video. THey have obviously not been pressure tested. If you got in a real fight all these things would go out the window as they are not practical.

18. El Medico

El Medico Valued Member

No need to thank me!

That link shows what is probably a lineal descendant from Kenichi Sawai.Certainly looks like Sawai's stuff.

Sawai named his I Ch'uan "Tai Ki Ken",which translates as T'ai Chi Ch'uan.But it ain't TC.

19. SDGuy

SDGuy New Member

I'm sorry. I don't understand. If I saw my opponent take a large step back with a shift to the side, it would look like a large step back with a shift to the side, not a small step back. Please elaborate.

Everyone already explained why this would be a bad idea.

If you found someone else that studies your system or an extremely similar version of it, why not practice with them? What was the different name they gave?

From what I saw in your videos there is zero Japanese movement/influence. Honestly, so far it looks like bad Wing Chun. Do you have a more advanced form that you can record that would set this system apart? Also, you contradict yourself in your videos. In the first video, you block a punch across your body (His right punch was blocked with your right hand). But in the third video, you specifically call out that this would be a violation of the principles of movement within your system and you demonstrate blocking his right punch with your left hand.

Also, just a personal criticism if you choose to post more videos, I would prefer if there was less talking and more technique/application.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2010
  20. Kobudo-man

Kobudo-man Valued Member

To be fair, I would like to give props to the OP for actually having the courage and confidence to actually post videos of his system. It's a lot more than I've seen others who come through here do.

It seems you honestly believe in this style, and that's commendable. I see a lot of people who when we ask for vids of their style they go into defensive mode and don't actually have enough confidence in their style to post anything. You've been compliant and helpful through the process and that is indeed appreciated, at least from my perspective.

Unfortunately it does look like your style is dead, and its application looks somewhat questionable to say the least. I know you've said that it helped you through a few scrapes, but it's possible that that was simply nat. instinct rather than this style.

I would love to see you pick up another art, if you put the level of dedication you've shown into anything you could probably do well. As other MAPers have said, do Judo. Of course if you want an art concentrated more around striking [shameless style plug] you should try Karate [/shameless style plug] or Muay Thai. Maybe another member could suggest a good Chinese Martial Art you'd enjoy?