Is my rotator cuff torn or just bruised?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by JayKayD, Jan 20, 2006.

1. JayKayD

JayKayD Meet my friend PAIN!

Well, im 100% ive injured my rotator cuff, but the problem is im not sure to what extent. I know this is a a fairly common injury, so does anyone know how much it hurts to have it torn?

When i first did it it hurt quite a lot and i did have the loss of some strength, but now about 1 week on it doesnt hurt unless i lift something relatively heavy. It doesnt really hurt that much when im not doing anything, except when i stretch my shoulder or something.

I'll probably go to the doctor next week for an x-ray just to be sure, but i was hoping for a MA planet diagnosis too :)

2. pablo147

pablo147 Valued Member

if it was torn you would probably be in a lot more pain, coulda just strained it. im no expert on the subject tho.

3. DEATHskull

DEATHskull TKD Bearfighter

I had the same problem about a year ago and these two articles helped me out alot. The first one describes exactly what happens when you injure your rotator cuff and what a doctor will do to test if it is torn or not, and the second one gives you some excercises to help rehabilitate it and to make it stronger. I've done the excercises with cables with good results. One thing I've noticed that helps me alot is when doing bench press to use about a shoulder width grip. Using anything wider puts more stress on your rotator cuff. Also don't go down all the way if you feel any pain or discomfort. I haven't been able to do shoulder presses since I hurt mine, but recently I just started doing them again with very low weight and I haven't been feeling any pain at all. Just be careful and don't push it too hard.

http://www.webmd.com/hw/joint_problems/hw61982.asp
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/dorian1.htm

4. GhostOfYourMind

GhostOfYourMind Bewaters lil Iron Monkey

DEATHskull gave good advice with benching and what not.

I advise you go see a doctor though. Although, I gotta say, if you tore it, it would probably not heal in a week. It'd probably require surgery or rehab if it was torn, and you'd be recovering for weeks on end (that's my guess). However, I'm not a doctor, therefore, you should see a physician.

At any rate, you should do some kinds of rotator cuff circuits to help build up those smaller muscles, especially if you do lots of bench. Something else DEATHskull mentioned was ROM. If it hurts to go to a certain point, don't go that far. It's important to be comfortable in your lifts in a sense that it doesn't feel as if your shoulder is going to rip out of its socket for example.:) Good luck, and see a doctor! :)

5. Radok

Radok Love myself better than U

I injured my rotator cuff one time. I didn't do heavy benching for a week and I did light stretching during the down time, and it got better quickly. I was fortunate. One thing is for sure, do not bench for a couple of weeks at least.

6. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

7. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

There are so many things that can effect your rotator cuff.
    As KickChick said... go see a doctor and get prepared for physio.

A rotator cuff injury left too long can come back to haunt you for a very long time to come. Not what you want.

There are too many factors involved for anyone to really make a diagnnosis on the internet. Range of motion, direction of force, comparisons to your other rotator cuff. Tons of them...

Get to a doctor before it gets worse.

8. Kyouretsu

Kyouretsu New Member

I've hurt my shoulder too... and have been putting off going to the doc... but ... guess where I'm going tomorrow! ugh!

9. JayKayD

JayKayD Meet my friend PAIN!

Nooooooo the dreaded long term injuries! I'm more annoyed about not being able to do any upper body weight lifting excercises to be honest.

I asked my Judo instructer today as he has a lot of experience with injuries like this and after a few tests he doesn't think its too serious, but i will take it easy and i'll also see the doctor asap and demand an x-ray to be sure.

Thanks for all the responses guys.

10. Davey Bones

Davey Bones New Member

Get it looked at ASAP. If you ignore a small injury know, you'll end up with a bigger injury later on. Trust me, just went through that with my shoulder.