Is Matt Fiddes running a McDojo?

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by LemonSloth, Sep 8, 2013.

1. LemonSloth

LemonSloth Laugh and grow fat!

Hey guys

I mentioned in another thread about a particular guy that had a website for his chain of McDojos in which he described that he taught as a "non-combat form of self defence". That or the non-combat form of martial arts. I can't remember for certain and he's updating his site so I can't check, but I'm certain it was one of the two.

Supposedly he was awarded his 7th dan a few years ago. Frankly, the circumstances are dubious. Supposedly he was given it by a MA magazine, but I'm not sure how accurate that was. There was even a short Youtube video to declare it. Interestingly enough though, on his website which is being updated he calls himself a "6th degree black belt". It always drives me nuts when people claim a certain level black belt but aren't forthcoming in what art they got their belt in.

Anyway, here's footage of him doing a demo from a couple of years ago I just came across. I take personal offence to this dude claiming to be a MA instructor at all because he used to teach near me until his dojo closed down following some bad press as to being a former Michael Jackson "bodyguard". Also because my old instructor was seriously looking at selling out and joining his franchise in order to make a few more pennies until I had a go at him.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1p4H92CES4"]Matt Fiddes & Jules Moyce British Championships Demo 2011 - YouTube[/ame]

Love the moment when they start fighting slow motion...priceless :D

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 8, 2013
  2. Wildlings

Wildlings Baguette Jouster

Why are they in a disco with a tatami? :D

3. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Smoke and mirrors. :D

4. Wildlings

Oh boy...the two 'bad guys' hitting each other in slow mo were hilarious. :D
    Together with the guy dropping the staff and the back spinning no-kick.

I hope he doesn't sell this as self defence?

5. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

He does and he's making millions from it.

http://www.mattfiddes.com/mf_page.php?getID=19&cat=PROGRAMMES

He is in my opinion running a school of McDojos, but people seen to be falling for it.

http://www.martialartsplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1074457886

http://www.zimbio.com/Michael+Jacks...nal+Enquire+refused+Michael+Jackson+Bodyguard

He is opening 500 new schools in the UK, Ireland, Germany and Australia. Then there is the Matt Fides dance schools.

http://www.mattfiddes.com/index.php

Last edited: Sep 8, 2013
  6. Wildlings

I'd really like to know how senselessly spinning a staff and letting it drop could save my life. Unless the aggressor trips over it and hurts the face...

7. LemonSloth

'Cos everything is more awesome in a disco. Obviously.

Also, because of vodka :D

I watched it again. He dropped it once and fumbled it a second time to boot, but managed to catch it. My jaw hit the table when that happened :eek:

I didn't know about the dance schools.

How did you get that site? When I googled it, all I got was this one:

http://www.mattfiddes.com/

:jawdrop: I just saw the "continue to matt fiddes website arrow at the top :eek:.

Well, I'm doing well today :D

8. LemonSloth

Well, they probably won't see that coming...

9. Wildlings

Most likely 'cause they'll be rolling on the floor laughing so hard. :D

10. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Interestingly as hes selling his chain via a franchise method much of the "success" hes having will be imaginary, that way more school owners will join.
    The dance studios will be run in the same MA studios on days not filled up by kids classes, and bums and tums type classes.

11. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

Matt must be a real phenom, he's gone from 4th to 7th in less than 5 years.

12. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

It's what sells unfortunately. I'm sure there'll even be testimonials where teenage girls will of defended their honour against an armed gang.
    The public are stupid so what do you do? Get them fit with false expectations of self defence and become a wealthy man (sorry girls you have to be a lot better than this to start a gym/club) or sell the real deal and scratch a living?
    Thank God for MMA, at least money can be made keeping it real :)

13. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Ah ha ha.

Matt Fiddes, you comedian. Always giving us laughs :)

14. Alansmurf

Alansmurf Aspire to Inspire before you Expire Supporter

Utter utter borelocks ....a sham ...

15. Ben Gash CLF

Maybe I'm a little harsh? Apparently he was claiming a 5th dan in 2006. Despite being a 1st dan with no teacher in 1996. :confused::woo:

16. Ben Gash CLF

By the legal definition it's difficult to say. There are no objective measures by which to judge unfortunately. I would ask who he's been training with since 1996 to have attained 7 dans worth of training and experience.
    It's a sad example of how rank and validity have been devalued. Ironically he has instructors under him who are much more skilled than he is.

17. Late for dinner

Late for dinner Valued Member

Interesting, he lists that he teaches freestyle tae kwon do based on the WTF syllabus...

The 2 guys he lists as his present instructors are a couple of marketing guys from the US..

His web site comment -

''Has Matt Fiddes Martial Arts Schools attracted a lot of jealousy from other martial arts instructors or organisations?

We would like to tell you that all martial arts Instructors will practice what they teach and that should be courtesy, self-control and respect. Most martial arts schools admire what the Matt Fiddes Martial Arts Schools have achieved around the country.

But, with success comes envy and as the saying goes, "The lead dog gets all the thorns."

As you can imagine our rapid expansion, ambitious plans and member success has attracted the attention of many martial arts practitioners and Instructors. Unfortunately, some of these individuals will do anything within their power to try and stop this success by spreading rumours and untruths.

A true martial artist or Instructor would never make defamatory comments about another Martial Arts Style of organisation.

If you have any questions about Matt Fiddes Martial Arts methods, techniques or our instructors please contact us via email at: office@mattfiddes.co.uk

When you join the Matt Fiddes Martial Arts Schools you can be certain that you are receiving the very best tuition from the very best Instructors in the world. ''

He heard about this thread before it was started ;' )

LFD

18. John Titchen

John Titchen Still Learning Supporter

Attached Files:

• 69f.jpg
      69f.jpg
      File size:
      74.4 KB
      Views:
  19. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

In response to the new thread title, no more than probably thousands of instructors & dozens of organisations in the UK alone. Where exactly could you draw the line & who's going to draw it?

20. Infesticon #1

Infesticon #1 Majesticon

I think the correct response to this kind of thing is to better educate the general public. There are plenty of high profile Martial Artists that are seen as better examples of real training that works. I would hope that everyone on MAP can recognise this for what it is. But how about Joe Bloggs on the average webpage?