Is MartialArtsPlanet your favorite MA forum?

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Fujimoru, Dec 31, 2012.

1. Fujimoru

Fujimoru Valued Member

Hello. I have been looking around for a MA forum to post on and see theres alot of martial arts forums on the web.

MartialArtsPlanet seems like a good one because:
    -Its number one on google.
    -lots of users.
    -variety of topics, as oppossed to just a mma forum or karate forum...

So what do you think? Is this forum your prefered forum to post on and why?

:karate:

2. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Welcome to MAP.

This is the only forum I post on.

We pride ourselves on our family friendly approach, the level of knowledge that we have at our disposal and also the level of fun we also have.

All are welcome here and everyones view is valued.

We have recently had a MAP Meet, where several members got together for a days training in the aid of charity. I'm not sure you'd get that sense of community with many other martial arts forums.

3. Aegis

Aegis River Guardian Admin Supporter

It's my favourite, but then I'm probably a bit biased.

MAP's a little clunky, possibly a little dated, but it's the community that matters, not the bells and whistles. I keep it running financially because I think it's a wonderful resource and because I believe the sense of community is better here than on any other martial arts site I've encountered. Yes, there are squabbles, and members come and go, but overall I believe this site achieves its aims of being welcoming to all with an interest in martial arts.

That's not to say we won't ask very probing questions when someone comes along making dubious claims, of course! ;)

4. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

Yep, just like the other guys have said, this is the only forum I post on (apart from the occasional work related ones) because it's got the right kind of atmosphere. When I was a student and had lots of time on my hands, I tried out lots of martial arts forums and found that they were all one or more of the following:

-Too humourless and I'd get banned for trying to be funny.
    -Too macho and I'd get sick of the posturing.
    -Too into "martial etiquette" and you weren't allowed to disagree with someone who was a higher rank than you.
    -Too into "I'm a samurai" LARPery.
    -Too lightly moderated and threads were just a load of people effing and blinding and threatening to fight each other.
    -Too heavily moderated and if you didn't call someone "sensei" you got your posts removed.
    -Too academic and if you didn't quote the 4th century scroll of Dharma your opinion didn't count.
    -Too sport-based and every question just attracted "What's your record?", "What's your ranking?" etc

MAP has the right mix of people who are serious about martial arts and irreverant about everything else.

5. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

I post on MAP far more than any other site. I pop into our cousins at Bullshido from time to time, but find that MAP gets more of my attention.

Occasionally I get "mod lite" applied to me, whch is usually an indication I am about to get irrationally angry about something. This check and balance makes sure I am (on the whole) thinking before posting and that's a good thing - especially as there are certain things that push my buttons

MAP is certainly the most inclusive site and genuinely has no agenda beyond "lets talk nicely about martial arts". I genuinely learn a lot here and always try to give a bit back

6. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

Pretty much agree with everything Moosey says here. I'm a member of a few other MA sites but I usually just lurk on them.

7. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

It's the only one I currently post on, though I have posted on others. Generally, FMA specific. But not necessarily. As others have said, it's the community. I think there is a good focus on the good of the community here. Where forums CAN descend into self-serving and thoughtless posting given the opportunity. Obviously, it happens here too, but I think we do a decent job of mitigating it.

8. Constant Flux

Constant Flux Valued Member

As far as martial arts forums go this is the only one I post on for some of the reasons Moosey mentioned above but I do sometimes feel a restrictive vibe here. I don't like the way we have to censor ourselves so much as far as profanity and certain kinds of content. The thing is I'm not sure whether that's a valid reason because I'll be the first to admit that I can be obnoxious when I'm online from time to time so maybe its just me.

Having said that, I haven't found another martial arts forum in which I truly appreciate most of what I read and many of the topics addressed here have made me reevaluate what I think I know about martial arts. Many times I've contemplated on a topic brought up here long after I logged off so overall I guess I like it here.

9. dormindo

dormindo Active Member Supporter

MAP is the only one I post on and primarily for the reasons Moosey outlined above. Even though I'm a member of a site dedicated solely to capoeira and capoeira rarely gets discussed here, I still (very rarely) lurk over there and post over here, as I prefer the quite diverse community, the moderation here, and even the (entertaining) trolls that pop up from time to time. Make Mine MAP!

10. Seventh

Seventh Super Sexy Sushi Time

It's the only martial arts forum I post on. I love it here, just the entire theme and community of this place is very appealing.

To joke around in a light hearted and witty manner.

To pursue knowledge on martial arts, to be skeptical, and to spot rubbish when necessary.

To see many different views and opinions so you can get a broader understanding of things.

Best of all, to chill out with people who love the same thing you do without having to pretend or posture.

Go MAP!

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 31, 2012
  11. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Our goal is to make MAP a discussion destination for a wide swath of posters, including (relatively) young posters and people with differing sensibilities. I think the other mods would probably agree that it's a fair trade to forego certain things in an effort to make MAP available to more people. I know it must feel, sometimes, like we're coming down for the sake of it. And all I can tell you is that the motivation is generally an attempt to be conscientious and nothing more.

Obviously, I'm a bit biased, as I work here. But I wouldn't work here if I hadn't believed that in the first place.

:)

12. Constant Flux

Constant Flux Valued Member

Oweyn I truly understand. I don't think its always a bad thing for you guys to keep people in check. I'm just old school and I remember when the internet was more of a free for all and I guess some of the vestiges of trolling from those early days still remain inside but I'm getting better at resisting the dark side. Lol.

I like it here so I accept the rules. Plain and simple.

13. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

I hear ya, my friend. :)

Thanks!

14. Alansmurf

Alansmurf Aspire to Inspire before you Expire Supporter

Are there other sites ?

Aegis , Frodo and Simon ....you said there was only one ....

Good site well moderated and some very knowledgeable members prepared to share..

:Anth:
    :Angel:

Smurf

15. Caleb Demarais

Caleb Demarais Valued Member

I'm here for the cake.

16. Frodocious

Well, you can't have it. It's my CAKE, my own, my PRECIOUS...

[​IMG]

17. Caleb Demarais

Caleb Demarais Valued Member

So you're the one they call the Gateaux Gollum?

18. Frodocious

I am forbidden from revealing that information...:yeleyes:

19. Seventh

Seventh Super Sexy Sushi Time

You'll have to fight Frodo for it then.

Ultimate MAP Fighting Showdown anyone?

20. Frodocious

It wouldn't be fair - I only have a bad back, dodgy neck, gammy ankle and a manky shoulder, he'd be at too much of a disadvantage and I would never take advantage of someone weaker than me... ;) :D