Is life scripted? Is there faith?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by The Decay of Meaning, May 3, 2010.

1. The Decay of Meaning

The Decay of Meaning Valued Member

Lately I've come to feel that there certainly is such a thing as faith, that even life is scripted.

For every hopeless situation, there seems to be an answer. For instance, I had to move from a house up in the woods I lived in for half a year. The reason being extreme poltergeist activity, especially when I had visitors. But the real estate marked changed rapidly, there was almost no apartments available, and prices had gone up at least 40 percent. I longed back to the place I had before downtown, but finding something there seemed like an impossible task.

I had to live with my mom, after living 6 years by myself. Humiliating? Yes, to a extreme degree. I wondered: What is the purpose of this? I was severely depressed and burned out.

Then a month later, which is one month ago, I ended up living with two girls in a penthouse we share. Guess where? 50 mmeters from the place I lived before, downtown!

Randy Couture mentioned this once also, how he met Mark Coleman like 20 years ago or so in wrestling, was going to fight in the early UFC days but was cancelled, and now in their 40's they meet again in an MMA competition.

Mike Tyson and Holyfield didn't meet while in their prime, they met when they were 16, sparred together, gambled together. Holyfield was scared of him when they were sparring because Mike was an animal, but overcame this challenge years later.

It seems life likes to set out challenges for us to conquer, and later concludes it.

Thoughts?

2. Topher

Topher allo!

What about the people that Tyson, Holyfield, Coleman and Couture met early in their early life that didn't make it? It's no big surprise that some people doing the same thing in your childhood, teens or early 20s goes on to make it, and you encounter each other later.

Some footballers trained together at the same academy and then go onto play for massive clubs. Some comedians played the same small clubs together before making it big. Some actors were in the same drama school together. Some journalists were at university together...

I think the bigger issue is that it's always easier to look back and connect the dots. That doesn't signify anything other than you can connect the dots, something which we would still do regardless of what the circumstances we are currently in.

3. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

People are good at putting patterns on events because it makes it easier for our minds to rationalise them.

It's all just chance and circumstance.

Send No Money by Philip Larkin

Standing under the fobbed
    Impendent belly of Time
    Tell me the truth, I said,
    Teach me the way things go.
    All the other lads there
    Were itching to have a bash,
    But I thought wanting unfair:
    It and finding out clash.

So he patted my head, booming Boy,
    There's no green in your eye:
    Sit here and watch the hail
    Of occurence clobber life out
    To a shape no one sees -
    Dare you look at that straight?
    Oh thank you, I said, Oh yes please,
    And sat down to wait.

Half life is over now,
    And I meet full face on dark mornings
    The bestial visor, bent in
    By the blows of what happened to happen.
    What does it prove? Sod all.
    In this way I spent youth,
    Tracing the trite untransferable
    Truss-advertisement, truth.

Mitch

4. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

That was good.

Somehow I see the image of Whistler's Mother within those words

5. pmosiun

pmosiun Valued Member

We are pattern seeking mammals.

6. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

Do you mean fate? "Faith" is a belief in something. "Fate" on the other hand is a preordained set of events or destiny.

Personally I don't believe life is scripted for us. Certainly not beyond our basic instincts. And even then, with experience we can learn to over come instinctive reactions to events and choose a different approach.

7. warriorofanart

warriorofanart Valued Member

I believe in God but I don't believe that our lives are fated. How can we be punished or rewarded if we cannot exercise free will?

I do have faith. Faith that life goes on and it will not stop for you nor I. The important thing is to keep having goals and retain a sense of self-worth that can only be achieved through hardwork and smart decisions.

I'm truly happy that your life is looking up and I wish you the best of luck.

8. Humblebee

Humblebee PaciFIST's evil twin

:)I believe my life is scripted.

By me:)

9. Taiji_Lou

Taiji_Lou Banned Banned

If time exists in a static state... then maybe we've already picked our paths....

10. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

Would this be a horror script? :)

11. Knight_Errant

Knight_Errant Banned Banned

Oh, everything is written. The problem is that we can't read the language. It makes no difference whether it is written or not. We have the illusion of choice and that is good enough for me.

12. Stuart H

Stuart H On the Mandarin bandwagon

Got any evidence for the existence of this poltergeist? Would have saved you lots of trouble and depression if you realised they don't exist.

13. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

What gets me is how blinkered and self centred many people that believe in "fate" or "scripting" or even "god" are.
    They always look at their lives, see the amount of luck and happenstance that it has taken to reach a point in their lives then deem it amazing and that some sort of organising power must have been at work.
    There aren't many people that died as children coming on forums and spouting how amazing the universe is because of some wonderful bit of fate or destiny.
    Because they are dead you see. That's how their "script" played out.
    They didn't get to think about fate or god or the script because they just died.

It's the same with people that thank god for their achievements.
    They never seem to think about the people that believe in exactly the same god as them that die horrible and painful deaths without experiencing much of life at all.
    Bizarre really.

14. Polar Bear

Polar Bear Moved on

Now is the winter of our discontent made glorious summer by this sun of York.

The Bear.

15. Talyn

Talyn Reality Hacker

For every situation there are numerous possible answers. One of the reasons I might be inclined to believe that life is scripted is the fact that if you have amnesia that erases an evening, you wake up the next morning having not experienced that evening. Although, that may just have been the large quantities of alcohol...

16. robnj

robnj Valued Member

On a less sardonic response :hat: I concur with PASmith that assessing the validity if fatalism, determinism, and metaphysics is impossible if only one person life is examined as opposed to a larger group of people.

In response to

In the idea that faith is an idea held in the absence of evidence what is certainty's relationship to faith ? That is probably a pretty good question for a philosophy section of a forum.

footnote faith def: http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/faith

17. Jiu JitsuNation

Jiu JitsuNation Valued Member

Um, I'm still wondering why only one person has brought up the ghost in his house. I guess no one else finds this ridiculous.

18. Hatamoto

Hatamoto Beardy Man Kenobi Supporter

Not sure 100% but I've always believed there are certain things in life that are meant to be experienced. I'd be mocked forever if I went into more detail on that though :p But I was talking with a martial arts friend recently about "can you imagine life if you didn't do martial arts?" as I often ask martial artists. It was interesting to play things out. I switched it to thinking of how life would be different if I'd stayed with karate when I was 8 instead of quitting after three lessons. Whether or not I quit that class, me and this friend would still have met and trained together.

Perhaps there is nothing to that but I find it interesting. This guy is why I still do martial arts, probably, I wouldn't know of almost all the classes I know of now (and train in most of them) without him introducing me to them.

If nothing else it's an interesting topic to think through on the way home from training.

19. yannick35

yannick35 Banned Banned

Today i went to the gym and decided to change my training program that has been outlined for me for the past month or so.

Instead of doing chest and triceps, i decided to train back and biceps with some abs.

That was quite amazing and i do feel that as scripted and planned as was my training program i was able to confuse my planed life with this simple twist.

Tomorrow when i wake up i will do something totally no planed to screw up life little patern again.

Maybe start by training to put Brock Lesner in an armbar.... that would not be outlined would it.

20. rivend

rivend Valued Member

The pattern thing and the coincidence of some events that i have experienced really makes me tend to believe there is something more than just the cause and effect of day to day life.But i don't think life is scripted but it weirds me out at times. I have had some good luck,and i do have faith in some type of higher power.

But i think the main word that effects our lives is CHOICES and the ones we make.

This subject is endless and deep.