is lau gar forms on the net now?

Discussion in 'Kung Fu' started by oldman, Jun 26, 2006.

1. oldman

oldman Banned Banned

Last edited by a moderator: May 9, 2007
  2. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

Our club

Hi,

That's my teacher demonstrating our version of the form. It may look different from BKFA forms , but don't worry it's the same every time we practice it! ;) What do you think of it??? It would be interesting to know how it differs from the version you do?

3. oldman

oldman Banned Banned

The version i do is the correct version of the form that is practiced in lau gar. Your version just mimicks the form, there is a lot more to it and basically the form is not praciticed correctly. Any body can ad things to a form but it is not a lau gar form and is fool hardy to even pass it off as lau gar sorry but thats the way it is.

Just look at the last bit all good forms should flow so by suddenly turning around ad something completely different is beyound me I have seen more competent purple sashes doing better. Sorry thats the way it is

If you want to learn real lau gar got to a BKFA Club. If you want to learn somthing that someone has made up then that is your choice but it is certainly not lau gar.

And five years learning laugar certainly does not give you the experience to teach any form of lau gar properly

And for your interest master j yau is not the founder of the style as stated on your website he is the keeper there is a vast difference. please look at the quote from the bkfa web site.

Lau Gar Kuen is derived from a form of boxing practiced at Kuei Ling Temple situated in Kong Sai Province in west China. It was learned from a monk on retreat from that temple by the master "Three Eyed Lau", a tiger hunter, whom we honour as founder of our style. The style subsequently became popular over a large part of South West China.
    Towards the end of the 1800's Master Yau's Grandfather (Yau Luk Sau)
    conceived the desire to learn Kung Fu. At the age of 13 he left Kowloon and travelled to Kong Sai Province where he trained under the MasterTang Hoi Ching.

Nine years passed before he was given the right to teach independent of Master Tang. Master Yau's Grandfather subsequently met the Master Wan Goon Wing with whom he continued his studies for a further Six years, and whom he served as son until the latter's death.

On his return to Kowloon Master Yau Luk Sau taught only his family and close friends before opening his club to the public. During this time Master Yau commenced his training at the age of Six. His training continued 4 hours a night 360 nights a year for 15 years. Master Yau brought the style to Britian in 1961.

The British Kung Fu Association was set up in 1973 Master Jeremy Yau being the current keeper of the Lau Gar™ style was invited to be the chief Instructor.

Something as basic as that should of been correct and would certainly raise the hair on the back of my neck before I trained.

Sorry maybe not what you wanted to hear but it is fact regardless if you call it shaolinlaugar??????or chineselaugar mckwoonlaugar. It is NOT LAU GAR

Last edited: Jun 26, 2006
  4. Guizzy

Guizzy with Arnaud and Eustache

You're harsh! ;)

Now, if anyone from Bullshido dares claim we don't call people out! :D

Last edited: Jun 26, 2006
  5. oldman

oldman Banned Banned

but true :D

6. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

opinions

Thanks for your opinion!

7. oldman

oldman Banned Banned

Sorry Su lin if that does sound harsh but I had to get my point across there are so many people think they know lau gar and start somthing off and jump on the brand name lau gar and call it lau gar which quite evident it is not.
    Especially calling it lau gar. It just shows disrespect. :eek:

8. butcher wing

butcher wing Oi, Fatso!

re:

I can't get the link to play.
    I wanted a look at that. :mad:

9. butcher wing

butcher wing Oi, Fatso!

re:

I have to agree with oldman.

What a load of old shoemakers!

10. Angelsweet

Angelsweet Banned Banned

HARSH! I'll give you harsh!

Mr Le may be good at some aspects of kung fu, but unfortunately Jorn Sau form is not one of them.

His performance of the form is completely wrong!
    Not just slightly, but totally wrong.

Virtually every section of the form is shown incorrectly, with that turn before the second section.............Where the hell did that come from????

I fail to understand why he is teaching at all.

And to say he is connected to wuma does him no credit in my eyes.
    deadly dicks traditional lau gar was pretty crap long before he left the bkfa as a 2nd degree black sash, but now claims to be a 5th degree Master in "Shaolin Lau Gar" :D :D :D :D Sorry tears rolling down my wee cheeks!

Sorry to Su Lin & to Mr Le himself, I don't actually mean any disrespect, but I would recommend that they both go find a genuine Lau Gar kuen class and learn the forms correctly.

Have a look at www.laugar-kungfu.com/north.htm for a qualified Lau Gar teacher.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2006
  11. CCM

CCM Valued Member

How do you view the clip ? I just get a question mark in the middle of the Quicktime logo.

12. Angelsweet

Angelsweet Banned Banned

To be honest..........I don't really think it is blokes fault that his form is the way it is.

At the end of the day it is the person that told him he was ready to set up and teach that is to blame.

Blame the guy that put the black sash round his waist and the instructors certificate in his hand!

13. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

some points

I think it's time to have a bit of a balance on this thread.
    If you watch the video of my teacher doing jorn sau you will see it is not a demonstration but he is teaching it to a class, so it will seem dis-connected and not particularly smooth, as he explains the form (the website will receive an overhaul sometime soon).
    Mr Le has been practising kung fu for well over ten years. He makes it clear that the way he teaches Lau Gar will be different to how other clubs teach it, and makes no secret of the fact. I have seen a lot of variation between BKFA practitioners themselves. I think it is wrong to completely dismiss our club's efforts on the the sketchy evidence of one video, and the fact that they are in a different "gang". To dismiss all non-BKFA clubs outright is simply unfair, and a lot of Lau Gar clubs all over the country will no doubt agree with me. The people commenting have never seen our teacher train, teach or fight, and if they did I'm sure they would revise their opinion accordingly. He is a teacher well respected by his students not only for his skill, but also for his ability to teach in a practical and thorough manner.
    You should probably give him a break.
    Have fun. :)

14. oldman

oldman Banned Banned

Balance restored

Look Su Lin it is not a direct attacked on your instructor as angelsweet pointed out he probably knows no better. If he said or portrayed that he teaches all style kung fu we probably would not be having this debate. Although the form, still would be crap. As you should show your students the correct way that is our point it shows lack of experience and understanding of the form.

But shaolin lau gar is complete hogwash, the style does not exist it is a made up style to make a few bucks. I could set up my own governing body call my self grand master Lau gar for fat blokes make a few alterations to the sets make up a story and hey presto a very simple marketing mix.

If he teaches it different from the bkfa ie different from the proper Lau Gar clubs. Then he really is not teaching lau gar. Who is his teacher is there a master at the end of the trail. So there is no direct source that he can tap into.
    The point being he is calling it shaolin lau gar and using the lau gar name but not teaching it.

If you want to teach under a fraudulent style name that’s ok with me if you are happy. But don’t pass it off as lau gar kung fu.
    I could of trained in lau gar, which is not in the bkfa. Why I didn’t, because I wanted a style that taught traditional kung fu not some bloke that has bastardise a style.

1. it shows disrespect to the style
    2. If you have no source to tap into you wont become any better

And I wont even go into wuma the affliation that shaolin lau gar is meant to belong to after looking at there web site and claiming there do the hardest black belt grading in the world I kinda had to laugh

And to your other comment, what bkfa clubs are different show us the evidence or again is it just hear say.

I doesn’t matter how much balance you think you will bring to this forum, to a true laugar practioner it will not be lau gar and you are only fooling yourself calling it so or any other person that is learning or teaching it.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2006
  15. Graham2006

Graham2006 New Member

The style that Jeremy Yau teaches is a combination of Hakka style kung fu (Hakka is the Chinese state that he comes from) & Southern Praying Mantis. These were taught to him by his two grandfathers. Both styles are aggressive, attacking styles. The 'blocks' in these styles are actually techniques to forcibly open up the guard of the opponent to allow the attacker to get close enough to land telling blows. When Master Yau opened up training to all comers in the 70's, he had to change the emphasis of the blocks to open handed diversions, usually with backward stepping & sidestepping. The high level kicking techniques were put in as that is what people expected from watching the martial arts films that were popular at the time, plus most of his instructors already had training backgrounds in karate & tae kwon do. Indeed he took instruction from Toru Takamizawa of Wado Ryu karate in how to present his style to large classes of trainees as the Japanese already had that experience & he was used to one-on-one training. Toru Takamizawa also devised the first of the set defences against hand & foot techniques. These were used for many years before being phased out in the late 70's.

16. oldman

oldman Banned Banned

Can you please show me the evidence to this especailly the SPM

This was taught to him by one grandfather Master Yau Luk Sau
    he got got taught by two masters.

True

These block are also strikes the style always had open hand and closing fist when blocking

Actually the origins of the high kicks came in from comptition point sparring. And not karate or tkd instructors.
    Tradional Lau Gar is a close style and tradionally kicks above the waist was not needed. In a street fight.

This is the first I have heard of this :confused:

Please let me know what these are i am intrested

But lau gar has no characteristics of wada ryu karate

17. butcher wing

butcher wing Oi, Fatso!

Very interesting.

Do you have proof?

I heard Master Yau and a guy called Mike Haig made it up (amongst other stories) too.
    Still waiting for the proof on that story.

18. Angelsweet

Angelsweet Banned Banned

Facinating!

When you look at Lau Gar forms, the style could well be a mixture of SPM & the original hakka Kuen system.

I've never actually seen any hakka fist form so can't really comment.

As for the original arm/leg blocks being partially created by a wado ryu teacher.....
    This is of course possible as Master Yau and the wado group in digbeth shared premisies for many years.
    As you stated they were the original (now no longer practiced) techniques.
    Most if not all of the curent 10(of each) arm & leg blocks were devised by Neville Wray (amongst others) and Master Yau.
    I am aware of several of the original ones, and many were changed because they were too aggressive/violent to be taught to beginners.

B-wing.... Ha! thats one of my favorite stories.
    Master Yau and mike Haig invented the entire Lau Gar syllabus one day while sitting in Master Yau's kitchen.

Funny really coz all I managed to Invent in my kitchen was a bowl of noodles for my dinner!

There are many stories as to the origin of the Yau family Lau Gar.

I know for fact....Well at least from the horses mouth so to speak, that Master Yau was told that the system taught to him by his Grandfather was called Lau Gar Kuen.

Whether it was an amagamation of SPM and hakka fist, or original Lau Gar with a hakka influence, or a small family system that happened to be called Lau Gar, but taught in the Yau family (hence with a hakka connection) will probably never be known as we can't ask master Yau's grandfather what information was passed to him.

Graham.......Hi!
    I'll PM you. :)

19. oldman

oldman Banned Banned

Hi angelsweet
    I have been a bit of rumiging and found this

Bak Mei, SPM, Dragon, is also classed as a hakka kuin. so if lau gar was practicesd within the hakka community then it could be said that laugar is a hakka style.
    Like graham has said hakka is a community of people.

If it is being mixed with spm i am not to sure but then you could say it has the influence of the 5 animals and one of those animales being dragon, Surly you would say that it has a influence of dragon kung fu as well since dragon is a hakka fist as well.

what a can of worms we open :D

20. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

Brilliant...worm style kung fu!!! :p No arms or legs allowed!