is kung fu as effective?

Discussion in 'Kung Fu' started by iammartialarts, Aug 31, 2009.

1. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Don't bother on my account

The debate relating to "kung fu" bodies and the applicability or otherwise to real world effectiveness. It was interesting to me - and clearly to others - that "fit" and CMA are not mutually exclusive concepts

Beats mating with them I suppose

Err..because it is a martial arts forum and we tend to discuss things like, oh I don't know, martial arts.

By your "logic" - and I do use the term loosely - we should not discuss Bruce Lee, Helio Gracie, Kimura, Funakoshi et al because they are dead.

Way to go

You don't like it? Don't read this thread anymore

2. melb

melb Banned Banned

Look, before you off and have someone for dinner, we all have a reason to talk about Bruce Lee, Helio Gracie, Kimura, Funakoshi ...we dont however have a reason to talk about Chang Tung Sheng (1908–1986)..what Im asking is why you suddenly brought him up...kung fu bodies? I thought that was a term that was bandied earlier by some guy and everyone laughed at him..whats the title of the thread?

3. Doublejab

Doublejab formally Snoop

Erm....

I think you were talking about it!

4. 19thlohan

19thlohan Beast and the Broadsword

What purpose does it serve to ask about it? If you don't see the relevance to the thread move on to another post?

5. geezer

geezer Valued Member

Well, that's a bit of an over simplification. You need to train the right muscles in the right way to do the right job. Of course, just getting buff isn't all that helpful. Still, Fish I can appreciate your point of view when dealing with the "you don't need physical strength, just magical chi" crowd. LOL That's the point I take when you look at how much functional strength the real "masters" had... Maybe not "buff" by today's standard, but physically powerful men nonetheless.

6. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

well, yeah, it's simplified, but the definition still applies :); that's why i said optimization for a particular task:p. trying to apply force in one direction without knowing how to relax the antagonist muscles to the movement you're trying to do, or contract the correct muscles to direct force in the desired vector will not result in good jing, just a crapton of li (which may work anyway, given the right circumstances), but on the other hand you need to develop some strength, since technique and physical dexterity will only focus the muscular power you already have, not increase it.

7. Infrazael

Infrazael Banned Banned

I bet this dude had a strong punch.

[​IMG]

8. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

If you cannot see the relevance of the individual and the videos I linked to then you are even thicker than you appear from your posts.

Jog on and let others debate rationally

9. El Medico

El Medico Valued Member

OK,I'll explain why his inclusion in this thread is relevant.I'll also spell his name the way it's been presented here tho' I'd normally use W-G spelling.

Intro-Chang's main thing,and what he was really known for was Shuai Jiao.I'd wager the vast majority of Shuai Jiao coaches outside the PRC-(at least pre 1990)- descend from him. So while he may not be famous to the public and many MA practitioners he's actually an historically important individual in the modern era.

Why he deserves to appear here-As regards the subject of this thread his system is one which regularly practices pressure testing both in practice and competition,something which is often decried as lacking in the way many CMA schools train,whether or no they intend to enter formal competitions.

I hope this is satisfactory explanation for anyone reading this thread.
    ------------------------------------------

Perhaps of interest to some-It seems Chang was pretty much acknowledged as one bad dude by any that were familiar with him,not just his friends and students.

Too bad YouKnowWho isn't active here these days,think he won a couple national SJ championships.He's from Chang's line,I think he might have been his student but don't quote me.

10. Infrazael

Infrazael Banned Banned

You are referring to John Wang, I talk to him here and there, I can ask him if you want.

11. 19thlohan

19thlohan Beast and the Broadsword

Yes, he was Chang's student.

12. El Medico

El Medico Valued Member

Yeah Infrazael,that's who he am.

Thanks,Lohan.I was pretty sure he was but was in a rush to leave the house and couldn't take the time to make sure.

13. Infrazael

Infrazael Banned Banned

Yeah, sifu Wang has been busy trying to ignite common sense in the KFM Wing Chun subforums. And failing.