Is KSW turning into a sissy art?

Discussion in 'Kuk Sool' started by MACA, Sep 23, 2011.

1. elliotmurphy

elliotmurphy Valued Member

Thank you Simon,

And at Mr Hannibal-yes w the insular and the cool aid drinking, we are tkma, but I think you will find that we have many faces and opinions, there are many here who cross train but there are those like myself that belong to an organization that prohibits this once achieving rank of black belt. In my case I studied various arts from one to six months over a period of five years before sticking w one that I liked which was kenpo, after practicing kenpo and achieving a black belt I encountered ksw and switched to being a ksw student, now I have a black belt in ksw and my prior experience compliments that, but in all fairness having experienced many other arts if even only on a short term basis certainly doesn't make me insular it just means I know what I want, oh and I wrestled in high school and boxed as a teenager, army training as well. My point being that you will find many of us have been exposed to other arts at some point and prefer tkma. Not insular just discerning

Last edited: Oct 7, 2011
  2. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Preference is one thing - I have mine and am happy with it too. But the problem is the reactions you have are the internet and intellectual equivalent of "nah nah nah not listening" and you hide behind what is in essence the weakest line of logic any martial art offers - "You don't do it so you can't comment on it"

Sorry but that does not work at a 5th grade debate level and it certainly does not hold water here

3. elliotmurphy

You misunderstand me, or maybe just choose to twist words? I didn't say you can't comment just saying that your approach is confrontational, argumentative and at times insulting, and that if you were sincere and serious about knowledge I can see you are from Calgary amd there is a ksw school there, that is if you wanted to experience the art first hand as opposed to just criticising it becuase your bored....I expect it though, societal norm is to criticize things of which one has no experience or only sees on tv, myself I like to experience as opposed to armchair quarterbacking but that's just me to each his own

4. unknown-KJN

unknown-KJN Banned Banned

:topic: OFF-TOPIC :topic:​

Wake up, simon! Didn't you see I *Thanked* post #77? (so, of course, I read it :rolleyes: ). In fact, except for the "thinly veiled" chastisement which is post #78, I *Thanked* every single post where you've tried to explain the stance of MAP moderators. (sheesh!)

C'mon, dude, get a grip, will ya? If the emoticon didn't fully express my tone with that comment, then try READING (and comprehending) the opening of the very next sentence (i.e. "Seriously, though,"). Talk about touchy... you MAP guys must take a lot of flack and I don't envy you because of it, but still, use a little more discretion when dealing with people (this = friendly advice ;) ).

Besides, if I had intended to "threaten" you, there'd be no doubt in your mind, I can assure you. :evil:

Last edited: Oct 7, 2011
  5. elliotmurphy

Myself I have always found knowledge walks hand in hand w experience and my remarks in the previous post about preference were in response to the statement about being insular, to demonstrate that although most of us prefer one thing you will find that we aren't insular

6. Hannibal

It is not against KS - I post the same across the board. Where there is genuine offence caused I always apologise, where it is delicate egos I don't

My entry to the KS boards actually came about through advice to an aspiring LEO and the response my opinion got back was damn ignorant to be blunt. Then the "circle jerking" began, completely ignoring the actual point I was making.

I like to think that I have a pretty amicable relationship with most residents of the boards - in KS I consider Unk-KJ, Obewan and Convergence to be people I am on friendly terms with even when we do not agree.

I am aware there is a KS school in Calgary and who knows I may even check it out one day - but I doubt it. Any art that bans training outside it's own walls is a deal for suckers and bordering on a cult and that alone means it can offer me nothing

7. elliotmurphy

Methinks you use the term cult too loosely. But that is a good example of the kind of statement that just seems to me to turn a good post into a taunt or a somewhat inflammatory remark not engendering debate and conversation, its most definitely not a cult although I can see where its easy to devalue something that has rules you are not willing to abide by.

8. Hyeongsa

Hyeongsa The Duelist

My post seemed to offend people. I find that hillarious. Let me rephrase what I said: I like Pugil. He is a cool guy, has alot of knowledge, and has trained in several arts so he has been around the block enough to know what he's talking about. Buuuuuuut.....saying that Kuk Sah Nim Suh is a "chop socky" martial artist is just wrong. That post just seemed out of place and rude. I called it and that's that. No one reported a post (at least I don't think so). We can take care of ourselves. As for FMA....wonderful? I don't see what that has to do with Kuk Sool or us. I'm happy you are so welcomed in other groups but our group is quite close knit. If we chew each other out there is no animosity behind it. Kind of like family....only I get to call my brother stupid, not you. LOL

9. Hannibal

It is not to devalue a style, but is a criticism of the politics of said style. It is a stupid rule - period

I have levelled the same at OJKD schools, Steve Morris's Karate, CKD and any number of others over the years and will always do so whenever I encounter it.

Yes I can come across as brash, but I temper it with a sense of irony and often self-parody. I will not change this, and make no apologies for it - it is just the way I interract.

However, when it is time to be serious I can articulate as clearly as a bell.

I see lots I like in the technical aspects of KS - In terms of the internal politics I see little of value at all

10. unknown-KJN

unknown-KJN Banned Banned

Don't let it be a *deal-breaker* for you, Dr. Lecter, from at least going to check out the place, as I know many school owners often bypass this rule, simply because it's so unenforceable (many schools rarely have any WKSA *authority figure* stopping by to check up on them, and when they do there's usually plenty of advanced warning which allows them to get things "squared away" LOL). Sorta like the old adage, "What happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas." ;)

11. Hyeongsa

Hyeongsa The Duelist

I couldn't agree more with that post Hannibal. The internal aspects of the WKSA, or Kuk Sool in general, suck. But, what are you going to do? There's nothing we can do. It's just the way it is. I was all flame and fire trying to get people riled up enough to start a revolution of sorts against this kind of thinking. I guess it was just too hard.

12. Hannibal

Time is a massive issue for me as I am sure you can guess! However I may actually pop by one day just to check it out.

To be blunt (not like me I know) it looks very similar to a lot of JJJ/Aikij-utsu I have already done (to 2nd degree), but with the usual Korean flavour (i.e nice kicks!)

13. JTMS

JTMS Valued Member

Thank GOD!! (oops hope I didn't offend the atheistic!) Glad that a MOD finally gets it! I don't jump on other forums and post disruptive things! There are several martial arts that I don't really prefer but you don't see me and my other friends here in the TKMA forums jumping in, trolling, and causing strife! I have seen my friends get banned while responding to these people who are in reality nothing more than uninformed bullies trying to speak in a disrespectful and semi-hateful way about that which they know little or nothing. I don't mind non-TKMA folks posting, it's just the trolling that burns my butt!:Angel:

14. Hannibal

Trolling is by definition a meaningless post intended to provoke a response - that is not the same as a criticism is it? I have encountered very few trolls in this sub-forum, but it is an epithet that is casually hurled around without a lot of understanding here

15. JTMS

JTMS Valued Member

:happy::happy: If it seems like I am "not listening" to what you have to say VERY GOOD!! :happy: You got it right for once!! I have found you to be hostile, aggressive, narrow minded, and a troll. Simply based on your approach at times I really have very little interest in your views, not because you don't practice the same art as I, but because you are always in the KuK Sool forum bashing Kuk Sool and TKMA practitioners. You say I am not open minded? VERY GOOD!! You catch on quick! I am no big fan of JKD and a few other arts, do you ever see me causing problems in a JKD forum? No.

16. JTMS

JTMS Valued Member

Please see post #95! :)

17. Hannibal

Thanks for proving my point

18. Hannibal

Actually I am always on MAP - it just so happens this forum posts things I find interesting and certain denizens here can actually engage in a rational debate and articulate their points clearly.

Try it sometime

19. JTMS

JTMS Valued Member

At last we agree! I really don't value your opinion. :)

20. JTMS

JTMS Valued Member

Perhaps if you could find more than 20 students (as you stated here in the Kuk Sool forum before) you might not have so much time on your hands. :rolleyes: