Is KSW turning into a sissy art?

Discussion in 'Kuk Sool' started by MACA, Sep 23, 2011.

1. Herbo

Herbo Valued Member

This is what I was referring too.

2. JTMS

JTMS Valued Member

Ever hear of google? :rolleyes:

3. Herbo

Herbo Valued Member

I'd rather hear it from the horse's mouth, so to speak. It's not every day you get to speak to a soke.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2011
  4. Pugil

Pugil Seeker of truth

The Kodokan was established in 1882 by Jigoro Kano, the Founder of Judo.

It would seem that the other lot are a somewhat younger and smaller organisation founded by someone called Sensei Keith Mewes. He lists his credentials as follows:

6th Dan Budo.
    5th Dan Judo.
    2nd Dan Ju Jitsu.
    2nd Dan Go ~ Shin Jitsu .
    1st Dan Aki Jitsu.
    1st Kyu Aikido.
    Advanced Tutor in Team Teach ( Positive & Protective Handling ).
    Arrest & Restraint Instructor.
    Had one Karate Lesson and was banned for life !!!!!!
    Senior Founder Member of the Sho ~ Shin Budo Kwai ( SSBK )

Seems to be proud of having one Karate lesson before being banned for life - as if that would be possible to do in any case!

5. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Banned from the WHOLE of karate!! That must have been some transgression!!!

6. Herbo

Herbo Valued Member

I have that sinking feeling that the words "too deadly" may be uttered.

7. JTMS

JTMS Valued Member

Not the same folks that were originally referenced. Perhaps they use the same or similar name? And for the record OTL has NEVER listed himself with any big titles like Doju or Soke. These were titles someone else posted on a site under OTL's proper name. Believe it or not it's true. As OTL explained he does not even wear stripes on his belt nor has he EVER advertised ANY RANK on a site of his own. This all utterly silly nonsense.

8. Pugil

Pugil Seeker of truth

I'm not being drawn into any argument over it MSM. I know, nor care, anything about it. I simply tried to answer the question regarding original Judo and the Kodokan, as compared to any later offshoot/breakaway/wanna-be/Mickey Mouse alternatives.

9. JTMS

JTMS Valued Member

Haha! You are not being "drawn into an argument". My statement was not an attack against you just a simple fact. You are referencing a group that OTL is not connected to. As I said before perhaps they use a similar name? .......... and it is still silly nonsense, on that we seem to agree.

10. Hyeongsa

Hyeongsa The Duelist

Never mind folks. Just not worth it anymore. Apologies all around. If you need me, you know where to find me.

11. JTMS

JTMS Valued Member

Post deleted. I made my point.

12. SsangKall

SsangKall Valued Member

if a person is correct, they can say whatever they want. if a person is incorrect, then they should be corrected. if i can change the way a person feels about another with some facts... mission complete.

my dislike of being politically correct came after a bunch of 'wows'. WTF does 'wow' mean. if a master has to be 'pc' then so be it(of course a master can be many things in anybody's book). however, let's take a step back in rank to the instructor level. clearly getting a point across is more important than being 'pc'. i dig that aspect of staying at sabeom level. no weight, can still talk straight.

13. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

Caring even less but still continuing to respond... I see... :hat:

On that note... yet inane bickerfest in the KSW forum will be put on ice soon - get yer replies in while you can.

14. unknown-KJN

unknown-KJN Banned Banned

Well, since you went to the trouble to quote my post, it would be rude not to reply (unless your comment was *obviously* rhetorical). :bow1:

Oh no... not again! (FYI- it's not the "Kuk Sool Won forum", it's the "Kuk Sool forum", because BION, the distinction DOES make a difference)

"yet inane bickerfest" - I hope you meant "yet [another] inane bickerfest" as in everyone is bicketing with one another (although it seems to have cooled down now), and so the thread may get locked.

"yet inane bickerfest" - OTOH, if you meant "yer inane bickerfest" then I'm at a loss since I'm not bickering with anyone, least of all you (stating it as plain and emotionless as I can that I'm not interested in your POV, is my way of letting you know that a flame-war is not where I'm headed, FWIW). :woo:

15. jamesdevice

jamesdevice Jötunn

the people who run WKSA must be ****ing themselves laughing at you lot bickering among yourselves
    How are you EVER going to provide a unified alternative - or even a non-unified believable alternative - to Kruk Sool Won when you rip each other apart like this? To someone from outside all that can be seen are a series of conflicting egos
    Sorry chaps, it may not be true, but thats the way it looks

16. Obewan

Obewan "Hillbilly Jedi"

:banana::happy::whistle:

17. unknown-KJN

unknown-KJN Banned Banned

Hehe, you crack me up, jd. Since when do people have to "get along well with one another" in order to work towards a common goal? Let's not forget that people can CHOOSE to ignore certain differences depending on varying circumstances & objectives (e.g. the concept behind this saying: "The enemy of my enemy is my friend.").

Besides, unless I missed something here, people may have been jumping to conclusions that weren't necessarily proven. IOW, it was all one big misunderstanding (and as they say, "water under the bridge").

EDIT:

BTW, ROFLMAO over this: "Kruk Sool Won" (as in "crook" Sool Won) ;)

18. Obewan

Obewan "Hillbilly Jedi"

When I see lists like this I think "marketing", and to the uninformed perhaps that is valid, and may work to get students in the door. However in this day and age people are more informed and or can see after some experience that all those certificates mean little in retrospect to the skill of the individual sporting such accomplishments. I think a famous quote or at least a philosophy of Bruce Lee was the art doesn't make the man, the man makes the art. If that's true then no matter what rank is bestowed upon an individual or even adopted by an individual on his/her own accord, then that's your rank not in an individual art but as a MAist. If one holds a dan rank or master rank, or is a founder of a style then that rank should span what ever that individual trains in. Why would anyone say they are 5th degree in one style and 1st degree in another? Is that persons martial skill diminished when he trains tang soo do, as opposed to tae kwan do? My TSD punch is not as good as my TKD punch, but I'm working on it. Really? I know in WKSA other rank is not transferable to KSW, but that's because the leaders do not want a jumbled up curriculum throughout individual schools. Where there is not restrictions I don't know why one couldn't say I'm 5th dan and skilled in these styles of MA list them and be done with it. IDK it just seems simpler to me.

My 2 cents

please don't flame me to hard, just let me know what you think.

19. jamesdevice

jamesdevice Jötunn

"Since when do people have to "get along well with one another" in order to work towards a common goal?"
    They don't, as history well proves. Friction within a partnership can make the creative juices flow. For some people. For others its a total wrecking disaster.
    But the problem is when people outside the group see that friction and (mis?)identify it as aggression or distrust. It destroys any empathy the viewer may have for those involved.
    Think of it this way - in the last few pages you have (as I understand it) the leaders of two associations within the Kuk Sool clade, along with other masters or senior members taking public pot shots at each other. If I was a prospective student, or the parent of one, do you think I'm going to train with any of you? or let my child? On the basis of what is in the last few pages of this thread. no chance.
    Having said that, again, looking from the outside, these prolonged lists of achievement look like just so much bunkum. Marketing scam hocus pocus, designed to deceive. Again that may not be true but its the way it comes across. And that is what is important if you want to attract students

20. Pugil

Pugil Seeker of truth

Isn't the title of this thread: "Is KSW turning into a sissy art?"? I'm confused! And where are people 'ripping each other apart' anyway?

With regards to Obewan's recent post regarding listing one's qualifications: I see no real harm in listing such qualifications - if they are indeed genuine. I can also see every reason why a Gym Trainer (for example) might want to list his or her qualifications in Sport Science, Strength & Fitness Training, and perhaps some other qualification such as Swimming and/or Tennis coaching, for example.

If I look at my own situation, I trained (exclusively) in the Traditional Korean Martial Arts from 1973 - 1989. Since then, I have cross-trained in a number of other fighting art disciplines. That has led to me gaining teaching qualifications in some of those arts. So why should I not (quite legitimately) provide such a list of my teaching qualifications when I advertise? Yes, it's true "...that all those certificates mean little in retrospect to the skill of the individual..." - in this instance, Me! But just because someone chooses to follow a different path at some point, and who went on to gain qualifications in other areas, doesn't give those who chose to stay, or indeed those who joined TKMA at a later point, to look down upon or question anyone else's credentials without having justifiable reasons. I find that somewhat sanctimonious! In the same way to someone who turns up their nose at a particular type of food, when they've never ever tried it for themselves!