Is Kickboxing combative?

Discussion in 'Kickboxing' started by Mongoliankid7, Feb 5, 2004.

1. Mongoliankid7

Mongoliankid7 New Member

Is Kickboxing combative? Usefull in a Street fight? Dangerous? Please tell me and give me some websites. Thanks.

2. Intan86

Intan86 Valued Member

I think kickboxing is combative and usefull in street fights because it uses both your hands and legs. If you are well trained in kickboxing or any other styles, I think the techniques you've learned is enough to cause damage.

3. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

For standup fighting - full contact kickboxing can be a good base.

4. Guy Mendiola

Guy Mendiola New Member

I would say that I would prefer Muay Thai instead of Kickboxing.

5. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

So would I - that wasn't the question :D

6. Hybrid_Killer

Hybrid_Killer New Member

If you are well trained in kickboxing you will be able to fight/defend yourself...if you combine it with a grappling art like jiujitsu/judo you well become a very good fighter.

7. shootodog

shootodog restless native

kickboxing is combative. it is effective of you know how to use it. muay thai is a form of kickboxing (such as yaw yan, sagasa, etc.).

my advise is be a well rounded fighter. have all ranges.

8. Fluffy Wabbit

Fluffy Wabbit New Member

There is combat kickboxing aimed at self-defence (which incorporates a lot of the moves of Muay Thai), and there's kickboxing which is done purely for exercise which is non-contact. As Yoda said, kickboxing is a good base for standing up fighting, and tends to lead to Muay Thai as you get better and crave a more hardcore expereince.

It's a hell of alot better for self-defence than not knowing it, but might still be considered the "basics" by some.

9. Kenpo Kicker

Kenpo Kicker New Member

The problem with muay thai is messing up joints in your knees later on in life. I wouldn't perfer that over kickboxing. You don't have to kill yourself training to be good. I think it is stupid how they train. That is just my opinion though. I have alot of respect for muay thai fighers. I just think there is no sense in training like that.

10. totality

totality New Member

i was going to ask what you were talking about, but i imagine you won't be able to tell me, if you don't even know.

they train hard. i'm not exactly sure what you mean when you say that training muay thai will "mess up joints in your knees later on in life." first of all, the knee IS the joint. :D and how does their training hurt their knees? are you referring to knee strikes?

11. Kenpo Kicker

Kenpo Kicker New Member

Sorry about that I made a mistake about the knee. I do know it is a joint. Not sure what part of the training is messing up their knee or other joints (think that is what I meant to say earlier). I have seen older muay thai fighers with fed up knees. I think it is the hard training on heavy bags. You gotta be careful when kicking them. The wtf tkd guys mess up joints too. I would take muay thai if the risk of injuring my joints were not high. If i'm wrong I apologize that is what I think happens. I am not a injured muay thai fighter so wouldn't know. Muay thai fights are way more intresting to watch than kickboxing because I like elbows and knees :) . All I know is my kenpo sensi is uninjured and can handle himself in the street.

12. totality

totality New Member

risks are an inevitable danger in any sport. the risk is slightly higher in muay thai than some martial arts, but it is not something to completely deter anyone interested in muay thai.

these kinds of gross generalizations are the things that allow me to say "yeah, i fought a kenpo guy once, he sucked, thus kenpo is crap." please do not give bad advice like this.

13. Kenpo Kicker

Kenpo Kicker New Member

Thats true probly depends on the school. I was sticking up for kickboxing. Real muay thai is way too brutal on the body in my opinion.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2004
  14. Jax

Jax New Member

Hi, i'm new to these forums. ive been doing kickboxing for two years and have also been training in muay thai to bring my knees and elbows into play but no extensivly.

I find muay thai has less of a range of attack as to kickboxing, or maybe they just dont use them. anyway doing both gets you used to fighting people who do either. I also do Eskrima so i know take down and holds so hopefully anyone who decides they want to try and re-arrange my face will find themselfs in allot of pain with maybe a broken arm if im feeling angry :)

15. Sandy

Sandy Valued Member

Ah, I think you mean the shin. Muay Thai conditioning includes a lot of shin bashing (with accompanying nerve deadening on the shins).

16. hedgehogey

hedgehogey Banned Banned

Yes, KB is effective. Mainly due to the fact that they actually hit each other.

17. Hybrid_Killer

Hybrid_Killer New Member

Very true....one of the problems with alot of the Ma's is that they dont do contact sparring which is very very bad for learning self defense.