Is Karate any good?

Discussion in 'Karate' started by Bruce_Lee93, Apr 22, 2010.

1. Knight_Errant

Knight_Errant Banned Banned

Currently, the club in Carmarthen- I haven't actually been there yet as I've had the horrible flu this week, but me and the boy are going this week provided no further disaster occurs. I used to train with Sensei Wayne Holland in Newcastle Emlyn, but that's quite some time ago, and there's a long period of martial experimentation followed by an even longer one of higher education between then and now.

2. Gary - Enshin

Gary - Enshin Valued Member

I think you've got to give them a chance to show willing, but if they are constantly making excuses or not trying you might as well be honest and wish them well - elsewhere.

I'm lucky! A dojo booked monthly means rent is never part of the equation.

Gary

3. GaryWado

GaryWado Tired

So... you train at a dojo you haven't been to yet?

Gary

4. Knight_Errant

no, I will be training at a dojo that I haven't been to yet. Do you have a problem with this?

5. Gary - Enshin

LOL

I thought that but didn't like to point it out.

10,300 posts makes me wonder if that time wouldn't have been better spent training? :cool:

Gary

6. GaryWado

GaryWado Tired

It's just you said currently?

7. Knight_Errant

And? I also said I hadn't been there yet for a perfectly good reason.
    *shrug* That doesn't actually have any bearing on anything we're discussing, and I've done plenty of training in my time. Don't really care what you think? (<cheese.>.)

Language!

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2010
  8. Gary - Enshin

:cool:

Gary

9. koyo

koyo Passed away, but always remembered. RIP.

Or put more subtley agree or go away.

10. GaryWado

GaryWado Tired

Actually I think it does.

You have made comment in a thread "Is karate any good".

How would you know otherwise if you don't train/understand what you are discussing.

and the PO comment you made to Gary was - well not very budo

Gary

11. Gary - Enshin

LOL

I can handle it.

Gary

12. GaryWado

GaryWado Tired

I've no doubt ;)

Gary

13. Knight_Errant

Lol well you seem pretty worked up about it to still be chuntering on about it a few pages later :rolleyes:
    For your information I do train and understand what I'm discussing. I responded in a perfectly OK manner to what I thought was a friendly inquiry about where I train/ will be training. Turns out I was being grilled by a couple of touchy old farts with an axe to grind...

14. Gary - Enshin

Hey - I'm not touchy but I am an old fart. I spend hours keeping my axe sharp ... :)

I think both us Gary's care about karate and it's reputation, so when told it's a laughing stock we're duty bound to defend it.

If you're not even training just now, I find it hard to take that comment seriously, hence the bit of ribbing.

No-one got shot and no-one got pregnant, so no harm done. Take it in the spirit it was intended.

:cool:

Gary

15. koyo

Now you are threatening to SHOOT him!!!!!!!!!

as for the second part OH MY GOD!!!!!!

Karate rocks.Of course I have seen Enoida and Kanazawa go at it. It is easy to find crap time is better spent looking for the real deal.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 24, 2010
  16. Knight_Errant

That's not in question. I think we should probably face up to the facts, though, rather than pretending our house is in such good order that the only possible response to any sort of criticism is to cast aspersions on somebodye's experience/training :rolleyes:

17. koyo

If somone has taken the time to seek out an excellent teacher and trained under him for a few years the question would not arise.

That is why those (old farts) :)who have tend to be rather abrupt when somone states karate is this or that without the relevant experience or from a bad experience.

If my own house was not in order I WOULD NOT BE IN IT.

18. Knight_Errant

Actually, I have very few complaints about the people I've actually trained under, with the exception of a few classes I've walked into and walked straight out in dsgust, hence my earlier defence of karate. The worst you can say about Sensei Holland is that he occasionally did some dodgy 'knife defences'. And I gather those have been phased out. And I DO have the relevant experience.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2010
  19. GaryWado

GaryWado Tired

No disrespect, it doesn't come over that way.

Gary

20. GaryWado

GaryWado Tired

And by dodgy knife defences, are you talking about tanto-dori?