Is Kali so complete as to be devestating on it's own against any art?

Discussion in 'Filipino Martial Arts' started by Richdog, Apr 7, 2005.

1. chenstyle44

chenstyle44 Valued Member

Fma Good!!

Hi,
    I studied a Japanese art for four years and went to Kali to pursue the double stick and advanced knife stuff that my Japanese style didnt have.
    The first class I observed was all sparring. It went from single stick to knife to kickboxing. Because they were working on a concrete floor, there was a break after the guys clinched, but we started sparring in the grappling after I joined and we moved to a school with a matted grappling area.
    Since joining the fma I have tried out the bjj and have been doing some muay thai for the last year but its like starting over from scratch. Not a big ego boost. As far as real life personal experience, I think I would be able to mix it up very well with any type of style, especially the specialized ones. :D
    Regards,
    Gordon

2. shootodog

shootodog restless native

back in the old days, yawyan fighters were always sent to thailand to fight in mauy thai tournaments. they had a degree of success in that endevor.

fast forward to now. old yawyan fighters are now the coaches and krus of local muay thai. kru billy and kru robert were some of the best that yawyan ever produced.

3. NaughtyKnight

NaughtyKnight Has yellow fever!

Love that link littlebadboy.

Kali is a great art, I havent had much experience in training in it, but from what I have seen its a great art.

4. NaughtyKnight

There is alot of Crap on these forums saying that TKD is crap and that Muay Thai and MMA is the only arts that matter.

Here is what happens when a TKDist enters a MMA and isnt from a Mc Dojang.

http://www.tkd.risp.pl/Juras_HL_Extreme.wmv

5. juramentado

juramentado lean, mean eating machine

Yes, Kali / Arnis is complete. It may be used to teach MA attributes but it is definitely much more than just a filling material. :)

Is it good against other empty hand styles? That will depend on the FMA practitioner..

*puts mask back on and continues lurking in the shadows*

6. Scotty Dog

Scotty Dog www.myspace.com/elhig

Welcome back to the forum Bro

Take the lurker mask of & stay a while :D :D

7. Richdog

Richdog Limecat is watching...

That's the video i've ben trying to find for ages, lol. Some of the fights are so scrappy though, his first opponent in the vid, the tall blonde guy, is dreadful. A fair few of them also seem to jump and skip up a bit as they punch, sometimes even backwards. That's just asking for it...

6:05 minutes through the video though, that kick to the head lifts the guy off his feet, lol, that type of match is mroe like it. :D

Last edited: Apr 8, 2005
  8. ats

ats Valued Member

another great point to remember is that kali trains not only use with weapons but defence against them. It seems kind of obvious but it's worth mentioning.

Personally, if it was an armed attacker vs an unarmed FMA practicioner i'd still place my bet on the FMA guy.
    someone once told me that fighting a FMA-ist is like putting your hand in a mincing machine.
    The more i learn the more this analogy seems to fit.

FMA seems to invisibly brand your forehead with a "don't mess with me" stamp. Nomatter the shape or size of the practicioner there seems to be a look that they get. a certain light seems to switch on behind the eyes and you think "awww crap".

The flow and play of the art encourages confidence, improvisation and innovation in a fight scenario. A fma fighter doesn't rattle off a series of rehearsed moves but flows according to the feeds given him by the assailant.
    Everything you throw seems to get wrenched, broken or mangled. add weapons to the mix and yo're taking your fingers home in a hankerchief!

i personally it's this flowing nature (even if that flow sends you headlong into the opponent!) and the constant and continuous encouragement to "play" with the art that lends it so nicely to other styles.
    it's like a jigsaw piece that changes shape to fit.
    erm...a jigsaw peice you can kick someones @$$ with.

9. Richdog

Richdog Limecat is watching...

Thanks for the great replies guys, the more I learn about FMA the more I love the sound of it. Any art that encourages improvisation and avoid rigidity is good in my eyes, and with the world we live in today you are far more likely to encounter a knife than any other weapon so learning how to defend against them damn useful.

Both my JKD and my WC instructors are well-versed in kali so I intend to make good use of that over the coming months. :)

10. ats

ats Valued Member

good luck with that.
    should be lots of fun

if you've got a sparring/training partner, try and mix it up whenever possible.
    play loads.
    it's a good laugh, it's really difficult but very rewarding.
    I miss a good 80% of stuff thrown at me and am equally incompetant with a variety of weapons but have a lot of fun, am challenged and pushed harder every class and am learning alot.

Once you dip your toe in the FMA waters you'll never be quite right again (just look at the loons in this forum!) :D

plus FMA history is utterly enthralling, a veritable soap opera with sticks and knives (erm..and barongs and swords and, and , and). he he he

train hard, have fun

A

11. Lucy O'Malley

Lucy O'Malley The Mother Art

I would reccomend you train without mats aswell. You can't carry them everywhere with you. You soon find out if you are breakfalling correctly. :cry:

12. Pat OMalley

Pat OMalley Valued Member

To add to what Lucy said.

Although I tend to use mats for beginners, all of my old school students are used to training on concrete floors, they learn to break fall very quickley when thrown on to them too, and like the lady said, you can't carry you matt around with you just in-case you get thrown in a street fight.

Mats are an excellent way to learn how to fall and are safer for the bigginer, but if it is reality in your training you seek, you need to spar and train on solid ground, and this will involve getting dumped on the floor as well as grappling on concrete floors (ouch the friction burns:eek: ).

It's like sparring in the WEKAF armour all of the time, after a while you become reliant on it, and when it comes to the real deal, the first hit that lands on you sends you into shock. The armour is good and has it's benefits, but it has it's pitfalls too.

Regards

Pat

13. chenstyle44

Mats And Armor

Hi Lucy and Pat,
    Like I said before, Im teaching beginners and I have progressed to doing takedowns with them. They dont seem to mind as much as the experienced 'mat dependent' guys like me!! I have also been working on some reversals and mount escapes and side mount lock flows with them too. I have experience with being thrown on hardwood and concrete floors, so Ill see how they do next class. Maybe do a few hip tosses. That should freak them out. Summer means grassy surface training in a few weeks also.
    As for sparring, these guys dont have any control of their sticks yet, and to make matters worse they have lots of power. I will probably graduate them to training/sparring hand shots in a few months, once they all have hockey gloves and arm guards. Either that or Ill have to buy some foam sticks.
    Gordon
    P.s. I cant find a supplier on the North American continent that offers all the equipment and package deals that Eskrimador Supplies offers.

14. NaughtyKnight

I wish we used mats in TKD!!

Getting dumped on your ass from a flykick is one of them most painful things in the world, I would rather take a fly kick.

Contuary to popular belief, we do do grappling and throws in TKD, we have about 100 different 1 step sparing drills for them. Landing on the floor hurts, and unfortunatly, we dont really do many breakfall drills, so its pretty much up to you to not break your head. :D

15. Diego_Vega

Diego_Vega Frustrated pacifist

Strange but true, I know guys here in the Philippines who were legitimate judo brown and black belts, who, until about 10 years ago, didn't know how to do a break fall. In the 60's here , they practiced on cement and would rather not have slapped the ground. Instead they learned all sorts of ways to hold on and drag their partner to the ground with them to break the fall. Traditional FMA does not have breakfalls. As most, they'll learn how to roll out of a throw, but otherwise, they'll figure out a way to hold on and lessen their fall.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2005
  16. shootodog

shootodog restless native

sounds familiar.

true. one of the best ways to break your fall is to use your opponent to do it for you. sometimes, when thrown, you try to make your opponent hit the ground before you do then fall on top of him. (sound familiar dv?)

17. medi

medi Sadly Passed Away - RIP

Funnily enough I was thinking about that last night. I've never covered it in training, but I was sitting there thinking "I'm sure some of these systems have some techniques for using the opponent to mitigate the effects of a fall".

It's almost spooky.

18. NaughtyKnight

ROFLMAO. You have me on the ground with that. :D :D :D :D :D

19. Diego_Vega

Diego_Vega Frustrated pacifist

Did you roll, break fall or just thud when you hit the ground? :)

20. chenstyle44

Ninjas

HI,
    When I was studying Ninjutsu, we used to do rolls and breakfalls for 10-20 minutes at the beginning of class.
    Then we would do tomoe nagae, which is the throw where the guy puts his foot in your gut and sits back, pulling you down with him and he extends his leg and several seconds later you hit the ground about 6-10 feet away from him. KABOOOM, even with mats it hurt!! oh it hurt so much :cry: !!!
    Thats one good thing about that system, rolls and breakfalls all over the place. When I started in with the Dumog the takedowns and throws were a little bit easier to digest.
    One thing that the dumog has that I havent seen in other arts is throws that are initiated by rolling.
    Gord