Is Kali part of your curriculum?

Discussion in 'Jeet Kune Do' started by jagged monk, Jan 10, 2009.

1. jagged monk

jagged monk Valued Member

Just wondering cause i have recently joined a new school in which it is. My prior school had no focus on it. Just wondering from other jkd pactitioners any thoughts +/- on Kali

2. shizuilong

shizuilong Valued Member

my thoughts on kali = "it frikking rocks".

The stick work is excellent to teach correct body mechanics for punching....hubud is another excellent addition to the Wing Chun side of things for trapping and in-fighting. Knife fighting/sparring increases reaction times rapidly...then you've got the added bonuses of Dumog (grapping/locking aspect of Kali) and Panantuken (Filipino dirty boxing) both of which are excellent in their own right....IMHO

3. path_one

path_one steps taken

The academy I train at is JKD/Kali.I love the Kali stuff, meshes well with everything we train.

Edit: additionally, I've noticed the coordination of some of the guys at training get a lot better after they start the stick classes. I have often heard Kali/FMA and stick work be referred to trapping with sticks (not that you actually "trap" but the way the hands work etc, bit difficult to explain)

Last edited: Jan 10, 2009
  4. DaeHanL

DaeHanL FortuneCracker

we have kali incorporated into our jkd curriculum and we have it as a separate class. Kali is amazing.

5. jagged monk

Sweet! This is my first time training with sticks. I must admit even in a controlled training enviroment the risk of injury makes me nervous. But i guess the risk is always present whenever training. Thanks for the feedback:cool:

6. fire cobra

fire cobra Valued Member

Filipino arts do rock they are awesome arts,however i dont feel that Bruce Lee trained Kali in his way of JKD.:)

7. Spinmaster

Spinmaster Valued Member

I thought the whole idea of JKD was to learn/keep what works for you, not necessarily what worked for Bruce Lee. :)

8. jagged monk

My interpretation is the same:cool:

9. g-bells

g-bells Don't look up!

no it is not but Kali is baddarse

10. roblen

roblen Valued Member

kali was the one of the core parts of my training in jkd and is now my core art if i can be as pretentious enough to put it that way

11. fire cobra

fire cobra Valued Member

Maybe thats true bro(Im not a JKD man) but i just meant that i dont belive that Bruce Lee practiced Kali as part of his JKD,and well given that he was the JKD founder it seems strange that it is such a big part of JKD nowadays,but i guess thats always the big debate isnt it? just what is JKD!.:)

12. DaeHanL

DaeHanL FortuneCracker

FC, I would hope ALL martial artists see the benefit in cross-training. I do not learn from Bruce Lee, because he is dead, and so I have to learn someone else's interpretation of JKD. :hat: otherwise the art is no longer evolving, and we all know adaptation is essential to survival.

13. fire cobra

fire cobra Valued Member

DaeHanL,

Training different arts is cool,i myself have done that including Kali under Bob Breen in the UK.

My point again was as far as i know Bruce Didnt pactice Kali as part of his JKD.(still somewhat confusing for me)

As for learning from someone no longer with us i belive you can still do that,I have read books from people no longer alive and still learnt from them,including Bruce Lee of course.:)

14. g-bells

g-bells Don't look up!

you need to have a GOOD understanding of an art before you take on the task of a second or third, it can take a life time to understand one so to dapple in many arts is'nt getting the true understanding of an art.

This is'nt directed at anyone, just an oppinion!

15. DaeHanL

DaeHanL FortuneCracker

FC you use what they have written to expand your knowledge, not to limit your knowledge to only what they discovered in their life span.

16. DaeHanL

DaeHanL FortuneCracker

I agree with you, but would like to note that some people are capable of more than others. We only truly understand our own weaknesses and faults afterall.

I mean BL didn't master a single art, but is still regarded as a great martial artist.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2009
  17. fire cobra

fire cobra Valued Member

I agree with that brother:)

18. jagged monk

I dont know how legit this is but you have made me curious and my puter time is limited so this all i could come up with. When i have more time ill look into it a little deeper :hat: http://www.teamwingchun.co.uk/whatiskali.php

19. Semper Fi

Semper Fi Valued Member

It's not part of the school I attend but I just recently started attending a Kali class thanks to a fellow MAPer. Thanks Stuart!

20. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

No problem mate! Plan is for me to be there tomorrow, but you've seen how my plans generally go. Still, gods willing, I'll seeya tomorrow.

To answer the original question, yes. I trained with a couple of JKD groups in the area. One only very briefly. The other for a good few years. Both featured kali pretty heavily.

Stuart