Is JKD really deadly??...

Discussion in 'Jeet Kune Do' started by Tetsujin, Jul 21, 2005.

1. inosanto1

inosanto1 Valued Member

jkd deadly.MMMmmmmm, as with the above message, any art is as deadly as the person practicing it and how thay practice it, you know, pressure testing and all that, what i would say is that, jkd is fundamentally built for fighting and i meant to be pressure tested, many arts do not pressure test, or should i say, many practitioners do not pressure test, again it is all down to the individual :woo: :bang: :D

2. Kempo Fighter

Kempo Fighter New Member

We all know its as deadly as the fighter wants it to be, but for the sake of a straight answer, cant it just be yes?

3. inosanto1

inosanto1 Valued Member

jkd deadly.MMMmmmmm, as with the above message, any art is as deadly as the person practicing it and how thay practice it, you know, pressure testing and all that, what i would say is that, jkd is fundamentally built for fighting and i meant to be pressure tested, many arts do not pressure test, or should i say, many practitioners do not pressure test, again it is all down to the individual :woo: :bang: :D

4. inosanto1

inosanto1 Valued Member

there are never any straight answers when you have a debate such as that one, is there :confused:

5. Silatyogi

Silatyogi Valued Member

"there are never any straight answers when you have a debate such as that one, is there "

Dan inosanto said it best....

"Glove Up"

6. MaS_OyaMa

MaS_OyaMa New Member

Yes.

Lol

7. MaS_OyaMa

MaS_OyaMa New Member

I personally think that's kind of a dumb question...

You think Bruce Lee invented JKD to enter dance lessons?

Mmm..... no.

8. mike-a

mike-a Eskrima Geek

As mentioned above... Deadly? is an odd question.

It's more intent than style, or training.

A JKD man may be a better fighter (or have better attributes, making him more efficient). On the whole a guy with training in jun fan is a kickboxer. Sure, there are eyejabs, elbows, knees and other nasty things, but unless he trains specifically for "deadly" finishing things, he's not gonna kill you.

But if he trains specifically for combat and/or self defence (ala Paul Vunak etc) and applies his attributes to that training, he's likely to be fairly formidable.

9. NaughtyKnight

NaughtyKnight Has yellow fever!

Depends if I flip out by wailing on my Guitar before fighting. Then I usually kill people with my 1337!!!!!!!111111eleven JKD.

Probably the stupidest question EVER asked on MAP.

10. inosanto1

inosanto1 Valued Member

i do agree that it does depend on wether you train to be effective as i have stated before ans i agree with Ma oyama, bruce invented jkd for that purpose but it again does not mean every jkd man is deadly. such people like paul vunak and Mark Hays of sheffield train for both the art and the practicality and if you see Dan he is very much garnered towards both the art and the application.

11. Silatyogi

Silatyogi Valued Member

I don't know about old school.....The only old school original student of Bruce Lee you have named there is Larry Hartsell......Back to the topic.......I have said before in other post; that it is not the style that makes the martial artist.....Its the martial artist that makes the style, period!......and yes the way Mr. Lee taught Jeet Kune Do; Its very effective.......but there are only four of his Original Students that are teaching it that way!

Peace-Out!
    John>>

Tim Tackett also studied with Sijo Bruce and Guru Dan, and is a phenomenal teacher.

RESEARCH your JKD

-silatyogi

12. tel

tel absorb what is useful for

agree with what you say about guro dan.but very helpful with comments like telling john (simplicity) to research his jkd. as you have no undertanding of what he as researched.
    just a thought

13. NaughtyKnight

NaughtyKnight Has yellow fever!

Request to Mods.

Change the name of this thread to "JKD th3 D34dly!!!!!

14. Simplicity

Simplicity Valued Member

Silatyogi......"I have found the root to my own ignorance".......I also have research many things about Jeet Kune Do at the time Bruce Lee was alive.....I also have trained with alot of the 1st Generation Bruce Lee Students and have asked them ?.........Not just at a seminar either, real training with them........I'm sorry to say to you that Tim Tackett is a 2 nd Generation Student of Jeet Kune Do like myself.......He is the oldest one of of us (I mean 2nd Generation).......This is a fact Silatyogi.......When I said to you what I said; it was only for learning purpose not to nock these good instructor's.....Dan was the only one that taught Tim Tackett JKD.....Good training to you; also research Silatyogi this is only one componet of true Jeet Kune Do!

Peace-Out!
    Sifu John

15. Silatyogi

Silatyogi Valued Member

<<Silatyogi......"I have found the root to my own ignorance".......I also have research many things about Jeet Kune Do at the time Bruce Lee was alive.....I also have trained with alot of the 1st Generation Bruce Lee Students and have asked them ?.........Not just at a seminar either, real training with them........I'm sorry to say to you that Tim Tackett is a 2 nd Generation Student of Jeet Kune Do like myself.......He is the oldest one of of us (I mean 2nd Generation).......This is a fact Silatyogi.......When I said to you what I said; it was only for learning purpose not to nock these good instructor's.....Dan was the only one that taught Tim Tackett JKD.....Good training to you; also research Silatyogi this is only one componet of true Jeet Kune Do!

Peace-Out!
    Sifu John>>

Thanks I apologize for my ignorance.

Silatyogi

16. faster than you

faster than you Valued Member

was it dotted with ellipses. remeber bruce lee said that not everything is right just becasuse its your style.

17. tel

tel absorb what is useful for

true,but does not seem john is saying that

18. walk

walk New Member

Give the guy a break, he is asking a question. How many of you out there have actually used JKD to kill someone? So how do you know if JKD is deadly or not? Will JKD hurt someone? Yes!!!! Any martial art will, that is what defines a MA. JKD is no different than anything else. IT DEPENDS ON HOW YOU USE IT! A flower pot could be deadly if I hit you in the head with it.

19. inosanto1

inosanto1 Valued Member

it is all down to the application of the art by the instructor and pupil and the , dare i say it, the functionality of the art in the hands of the student, i like the flower pot thing:), cool, how many students and instructors test the art they are in

20. Timmy Boy

Timmy Boy Man on a Mission

Playing devil's advocate here... if it's entirely down to the student then what's the point in going to lessons and training?