Is it weird or nutty to miss fellow forum members when they leave

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by rivend, Jul 23, 2011.

1. rivend

rivend Valued Member

Because I do and the fact I have no idea who they are or what they look like or what kind of a person they are makes no difference.I miss some like they would have been a friend in real life. Am I nuts?

Last edited: Jul 23, 2011
  2. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

3. Bigmikey

Bigmikey Internet Pacifist.

Not at all. Regardless of whether or not you've never met them IRL, they are still a part of your daily life. You interact with them, they make you laugh, even irk you at time, lol. So when they leave theres a vacancy. Makes perfect sense to me.

4. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

I agree. Even though most of us will never meet, there is still a connection between a few of us, in addition to a mutual respect.
    Bigmikey and I have given each other advice away from MAP, he even had the good grace to write a programme for me when I went back to the gym.

There are those that made more sense than most and got a great deal of respect for it. Koyo and Slip the Jab spring to mind.

Some members have left us suddenly. Alex 'medi' Clark and Koyo as examples. This obviously leaves a void. I'm sure many of us would not mind admiting to a tear in the eye when Koyo died, even though we never met him.

Some make us laugh. Moi, this means you.

Some keep MAP alive. Fish of Doom as a perfect example.

The MOD Team obviously do a great job, generally without thanks and I think we all respect them for it.

So I think that it is natural to miss someone when they are no longer around.

5. bassai

bassai onwards and upwards ! Moderator Supporter

As in all aspects of life , if you lose touch with a friend you will miss them , but , one of the great things about this place is that it's jam packed full of cool people , so a new friend is never far away !

6. Blade96

Blade96 shotokan karateka

Nope. I love my friends here, i'd feel sad if they left.

7. Princess Haru

Princess Haru Valued Member

on the knowledge side i miss Slip, Mark and Socr even though all can be quite argumentative at times. oh and Master Betty, Dave where have you guys gone? i'm such an internet addict, find IRL friendships 'difficult' but can understand when people leave to do something else, usually there is something you are just putting off by posting on forums *awaits lynchmob*

8. Gary

Gary Vs The Irresistible Farce Supporter

I've argued this before to people when I've met friends from the internet, but you really get a good idea of someone's personality without all the detractors like mannerisms or social awkwardness to cloud your judgement.

For example, I met CosmicFish through MAP years back and when I moved to London he wasn't too far away. I happened to be moaning about the local gym and an argument I got into with one of the trainers about lack of weights and 'upper body cardio' and he suggested I train at his since his old training partner wasn't training any more. 4 and a half years later I'm still training there, but I knew I'd get along with him so it wasn't a huge surprise.

9. Bigmikey

Seee, now this I have to disagree with. What you see all depends on the person showing it. I've known more than a few people who's online persona's were nothing like their real live ones. From tough guys who werent so tough to workout guru's who didnt even really workout... the whole gambit.

The face people show you through the internet is only as genuine as the face they choose to show you. Its unfortunate.

10. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

I consider myself one of the early mappers when we'd be lucky to get 3-4 posts a day. An awful lot of the early members are gone, a lot are still here. Some just disappeared, some left to go to school (Booksie Girl) and I miss a lot of them. I just hope that someday I can meet a few of the folks here. I've not been able to get to meet anyone here yet.

11. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

I don't so much miss people as womder what happened...However in recent cases with Moi (and Ap Oweyn to a lesser extent because he still visits) I was genuinely saddened to see them go as I have recently got a much greater sense fo commuity on MAP than when i was first here

12. Seventh

Seventh Super Sexy Sushi Time

We all are connect in some shape, or form.

Though I'm just a newbie, with some exceptions, I can boldly say that MAP is one big family, and I'm really proud to be a part of it. Even though at times its dysfunctional, annoying, hilarious, fun, that's what makes us what we are today :)

13. caveman

caveman Threadkiller

I miss firequan, there, I've said it.

14. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

I'd argue the way people act on the net is how they actually are. Anonymity and the knowledge someone isn't going to punch you in the face mean you're not stuck in the normal social constraints you have in face to face conversation so you can just let loose. Sort of the same as how I think what people say when they're drunk is what they actually think since the booze kills the brain-to-mouth action.

As for the thread:
    Sums up my feelings. Group hug?

15. slickoneuk

slickoneuk Member Supporter

Yea, group hug! But no sneaky feel-ups! Ok Mikey!

16. monkeywrench

monkeywrench Valued Member

MAP is like a big family. Most are fun and interesting to interact with. And one or two of you I wish Darwin had made a better selection.
    :cool:

But seriously, you guys/gals are great and I'm glad to know you all. I have crossed paths with two folks from my style that I would have otherwise never met and got to hash out an issue (Sifu Jason...I think some of you recall that one from a few months back!) with someone I'd already met locally who was also a MAP member.

17. Bigmikey

aw man.... never get to have ANY fun.... *sigh* FINE!...

18. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

I think the difference between "here" and reality for me is that "here" people are drawn together through a mutual interest.
    Therefore we already have something in common.
    Life isn't like that for the most part.
    The only thing you have in common with people you work with is your workplace.
    The only thing you have in common with your neighbours is your locality.
    In "life", who you meet is arbitrary, but on MAP you meet people that are like you.
    And that for me means you can make pretty strong connections with people.
    There are many people here I'd invite down the boozer for a few shandys in the sun and know we'd have a good old chin-wag.
    When ap Oweyn said he was going to post less I genuinely went "bugger" in my head. I mean...I got on with my life, but there was definitely less spring in my internet step.

19. Knight_Errant

Knight_Errant Banned Banned

No. When it gets wierd and nutty is when you come around their house and spy on them with binoculars...

20. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

I miss Hoimun. :cry: