Is it too late to leave KSW?

Discussion in 'Kuk Sool' started by bluecoatguy1983, Sep 16, 2011.

1. elliotmurphy

elliotmurphy Valued Member

well im not sensitive hannibal, but as an example...i never took bjj so i dont offer an opinion about, i have taken other things though and they didnt impress me..like jkd for one, but in all fairness it could have been that the guy i took it from wasnt a very good instructor for example becuase i only went to one jkd school. my point being that if you dont know enough about something you just come off sounding arrogant and superior in your criticism of it, just something to think about though. i have been studying ksw for a bit though and when an mma student came into our class last year uninvited and attacked my instructor he put her down and subdued said person until the police arrived and took her to county. that in my opinion is effective application of h2h or martial technique application, the only difference between many arts is the artistic interpretation and minute differences of specialized application, the debate of which is ultimately more superior could go on forever til we all run out of breath..

2. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

OK reading comprehension test...yet again...You are all very quick to defend your chosen art.

Admirable

The poster listed a number of arts HAVING ALREADY STATED HE WAS LEAVING KSW AS IT DID NOT MEET HIS NEEDS AS HE PERCEIVED THEM

I responded to the options he listed

MM then stated quite categorically I had no idea what I was talking about and shoudl basically shut up. I countered in kind - don't like it when people post in that manner? Then don't start it yourself

Now whilst get it that this is a KS club and you band together, there are still requirements for cogency which were - and clearly still are - lacking. I never once stated anything lacking in KS, despite everyone assuming I did because clearly that is an insecurity with you all

Can't help that

Eventually we reached a level of accord, which to be honest could have been met a long time ago the agenda had been dropped

Now is THAT clear enough or do I need to point out the massive flaws in the assumptions you have made for a 100th time?

3. Pugil

Pugil Seeker of truth

I was simply going to click the 'Thanks' button but, as my friend Unk seems to have fallen foul of the 'squeakies', yet again, I'll have to go to the trouble of agreeing with his point in print.

As far as I'm aware, most ordinary Police Officers in the UK receive very little in the way of what you might call 'physical response', or 'physical skill sets' training prior to going out on duty for the first time. And after that, they get sod all at all, unless they choose to join a (usually civilian) martial arts group of their own choice, and based on what ever appeals to them individually.

Sometimes a local Police Force will have a Police Officer who just happens to be a martial arts instructor, who might set up an in-house group for fellow Police Officers. I know of three such guys here in Cambridge (UK). One taught Taekwondo, another taught Judo, and the third taught Aikido.

4. JTMS

JTMS Valued Member

Wow!!! They banned UNK again?? Lol, what now? Did he say something horrible like gosh? Or perhaps he insulted "liberal sensibilities"? Can anyone site the post he was banned for?

5. Pugil

Pugil Seeker of truth

He's accused of being one of these it seems:

Attached Files:

6. JTMS

JTMS Valued Member

Oh well, I see it was another temporary ban. UNK and I seem to have problems when Muggles post here. When topics stray from TKMA in this forum it is rarely good. To many liberal Europeans here on MAP that don't relate to our way of thinking.

7. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

If you have a problem with anyone outside of your art posting here I suggest you take it up directly with the Global Mods.
    A warning has already been posted in regard to who can and who cannot post here.

Please stay on topic.

8. JTMS

JTMS Valued Member

In the post above I DID NOT SAY I had a problem with anyone posting, I said discussion outside of the realm of TKMA in the Kuk Sool forum with the combination of liberal views present never went well. I did not say who could or could not post, I just pointed out that sometimes communications between two groups of people when the subject matter leaves TKMA in the Kuk Sool forum does not go well. It was an accurate observation.:bang:

9. Llamageddon

Llamageddon MAP's weird cousin Supporter

A good thing about liberalism is pluralism.

You are welcome in the karate forum any time you wish. In fact we have some very productive discussions in there about similarities with KMAs and JMAs.

There is no such thing as a 'muggle' on MAP. We have an open door policy for anyone who wishes to follow the rules. If that means there are misunderstandings, that's the way it has to be. In fact it should help people learn from one another.

10. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

You should probably re-read the second sentence of your previous post.

11. JTMS

JTMS Valued Member

Hello Llama,

I am very glad that you are enjoying the Karate forum! For now I am happy to just hang out in the TKMA forums and talk to my friends, but thanks for the invitation.

12. JTMS

JTMS Valued Member

:topic::topic::topic:
    Enough already! Lol! You guys are like vultures! Haha! I am not here to throw mud (although I realize I have participated). I am here to talk about TKMA!!!!!:bang:

13. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

No need for :bang: when you're the one who took it off topic in the first place :rolleyes:

14. weeginger

weeginger Valued Member

I sincerely hope MSM is not referring to me as a "liberal European."

;)

15. JTMS

JTMS Valued Member

Bwaaahaha! By reading your posts it's obvious you practice Kuk Sool and you don’t seem ..... "liberal" to me (almost used a word that would get me banned lmao). :p

16. Thomas

Thomas Combat Hapkido/Taekwondo

That's what we hear from LEOs and Corrections Officers (prison guards) here. The material at the academy tends to be pretty sparse - often straight out of a book and taught by the guy who got "stuck" with that duty.

Many LEOs and Corrections guys around here don't bother following up on (feel pretty secure with a partner and various tools/weapons). Sometimes a member of that department will be a black belt in something and will offer "defensive tactics training" for an extra stipend (some is good, some is not very relevant).

We looked into doing some Police Defensive Tactics courses at our school (two of us were trained and certified) and even offering it for "free", there were no takers... generally they were either unconcerned or didn't want to upset their buddy who was teaching it already for an extra buck.

That said, we do get some LEOs and Corrections people and we run them through the regular curriculum for the most part but add in variations and techniques specifically for them.

17. SsangKall

SsangKall Valued Member

the training that we officers receive is pretty decent at the prison i work. our trainer of 'preventing and managing of assaultive behavior(PMAB)' is a kali and wing chun guy. the only problem is that the vunak str8 blast that he has spent so much time perfecting would get us all fired!!!
    many of the holds DO NOT WORK the way they are taught in ANY traditional system. let's face it, most violent crimes are crimes of opportunity, and wrist grabbing, straight jab/cross, and clothing grabs hardly happen. that being said, the holds we learn in KS DO WORK if we have the patience and ingenuity to make the lock happen. i have had TONS of unarmed practise in these situations.
    what i mostly see as a problem that needs to be addressed(there was even an incident in the SF Chronicle yesterday about this) is abuse. in the heat of the moment some officers tend to be human and take things a little personal. 30% of the time a gun was drawn by an oakland po in the line of duty, it was seen as unnecessary. regardless of whether it was their report writing that made that statistic happen or not, it is only indicative of how quick use of physical force is used... and abused. how about some myeong beop introduced into the LEO training, because that is the real answer

18. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Ask your PMAB guy to show you some Dumog. It blends beautifully with CACC for the most efficient controls you will ever see

19. Obewan

Obewan "Hillbilly Jedi"

Can we open back up the Unknown-KJN got banned thread? :rolleyes:

20. SsangKall

SsangKall Valued Member

hes used the term before, but is dumog the shoulder unbalancing move, or is it the checking of the hands sequence?