Is it too late for a 23 year old to learn Martial Arts?

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by sinner_silence, May 15, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yohan

Yohan In the Spirit of Yohan Supporter

2. airweaver

airweaver Valued Member

are you saying taiji isnt based on circles?
    dont waste your time wondering about me, live your own life!...please :p

3. TheDarkJester

TheDarkJester 90% Sarcasm, 10% Mostly Good Advice.

I'm not, but don't misinform someone who really needs CORRECT information right now. Taiji is based on circles, but operates on a linear stepping pattern. Telling someone to study Taiji, then say "oh you should do it tense, or do it drunk"

Thats not what she needs. You've obviously never trained a single minute in Taiji, and I strongly doubt you've even taken the time out of your day to watch a class. Again.. You have no friggin idea what it is you're speaking of, and if the thread starter was smart, she'd disregard your advice as to how to approach any style, especially one which is part of her cultures rich heritage.

By the way.. What constitutes a "skinny move" or a "wide move"??

4. airweaver

airweaver Valued Member

i practise tai chi in the way its meant, and in my own creative ways, this is why it appealed to me in the first place- to not do it "drunk" or "tense" would limit the enjoyment and self knowledge i get from it. This my painfully uptight friend is what im trying to share with the topic creator, im trying to tell her that i have had a whale of a time in taking it up, and simply offer fun alternatives of doing the form for experimentations sake, thats all.

If you cant comprehend the different effects on the body and muscles doing the form in other ways has, then its indeed you who has yet to do a shred of proper training in your life.
    Because you have no artistic or creative inclination in you, doesnt mean you need to be so hostile and narrow minded to people that do, if the topic creator has any will of her own, then she'll realise tai chi belongs to no-one but the practitioner, the chinese dont own body mechanics, people are free to explore the art as they wish.

ok skinny moves: arms close to body with short stance.
    wide moves: long stances and longer everything.
    comprende?
    the point is to try different ways to see the effect they have on the body, what different muscles do they exercise?
    what new tensions are discovered?
    its also good to do on lsd. the body's more relaxed hence deeper insights into your tensions are revealed.
    and please, if you disagree with any of this, just do that.. dont act like a freakin' self righeous ass.

Last edited: May 19, 2006
  5. TheDarkJester

Look Hippy.. Why don't you go drop another hit of blotter paper, grab your ninja nunchucks, tune in, turn on and drop out of this forum... ;)

So you like to eat LSD/Acid/Albert Hoffmans problem child and do martial arts eh? Yes I'm sure the body is so much more relaxed when its on 300+ micrograms of tryptamines and the heart rate is shot up. Deeper insight? As in like watching the bread burn on grilled cheese and suddenly figuring out the great microcosm as to how the universe was created?

Go hug a tree man seriously. You've just lost any possible shred of credibility in this thread, and more than likely this forum.

*does the wavey gravy hippy dance* I gooo to partiesss sometimes until foooooour! Its hard to leeeave when yoooou can't fiiind the dooooor :Alien:

6. Anth

Anth Daft. Supporter

Cool it a bit DarkJester ;)

7. airweaver

airweaver Valued Member

its ok darkjester, have you tried lsd and done your art on it?? if you have then its shame you dont enjoy it as much as you could. and more importantly if you havent, then you shouldnt be ridiculing things you dont understand.
    your last post doesnt say much about your open mindedness or tolerance. Go ahead and belittle people who are in apparent "error" all your life. thats your'e problem... :D now stop.

8. Daniel-san

Daniel-san New Member

You're never too old to start training.

I'm 36, and recently returned to training after a long absence.
    Originally started when I was 20.

9. Kishu

Kishu New Member

10. TheDarkJester

Honestly.. I would much rather prefer to be in a sober state of mind while training thank you. Truth be told you must automatically assume I'm some bible thumping republican goodie goodie thats just being some hardass jerk right now. Actually I'm from Western Massachusetts, I'm a democrat, and I am an agnostic ass actually. So now we're on the same page, all illusions and misconceptions cast aside. Lets have some fun with this.

1st Point. I do a hard initially "external" fighting art. Which if you don't know.. involves throwing hits and receiving hits. Can't effectively fight if all you're seeing is hand trails everywhere in my vision, not to mention trees breathing and gnomes popping out of the ground.

2nd Point. I've done LSD. Numerous times. Plenty of times. First tried it when I was 15. I've done personal research into the drug, including the advanced method into its synthesis. I've purchased it, sold it. You name it.. I've done it.

So you can say "don't judge unless you've walked a mile in my shoes"
    I've got news for you pal.. I've easily wore out those shoes you now wear.. and I'm done with that part of my life. I chose this lifestyle for much the same reasons Ikken chose to go with Thai boxing.

...So don't automatically assume that people haven't done what you've done, because truth be told.. You aren't unique. You're deluding yourself into thinking that hallucinating on a very powerful psychotropic drug is going to make your taichi so much better. And regardless of your justification, you're just another druggie spouting off rubbish. My "open-mindedness" and "tolerance" for your type is non existant you are correct. Because I know what kind of people you are.

Last edited: May 22, 2006
  11. tekki

tekki Valued Member

You think you might be too old?!?!?! Nonsense!!!
    I know people who have started martial arts training at every age ranging from 3 years old to their sixties. Of course, the gentleman I knew who began karate in his sixties had to modify his practice significantly due to health issues, such as having had open-heart surgery so he could not spar, but he lived well past the life expectancy his doctors had initially given him. He was able to also walk better, and his training gave him a somewhat better outlook on his life and his condition.
    But you are 23. I know many others who were more than 10 years older than you when they begain training, and they could train just about with no limitation, progressed in skill as quickly as people in their teens and twenties and really transformed both their body and mind in the process. Some of these people have even gone on to compete in regional and national tournaments and be competitive in their divisions. As a matter of fact, my first instructor did not begin training until he was 30. I started training with him when he was 52 and a 3rd Dan, and he was more flexible and strong than most college students I knew. Anything that can help turn average middle-aged people into athletes and de-age senior citizens can certainly be pa fun and rewarding practice for a 23 year old beginner. Go ahead and take the plunge! :)

12. Taff

Taff The Inevitable Hulk

13. Saz

Saz Nerd Admin

Even more so now...

Airweaver, please read the terms of service, especially this

"1.13 Drugs:
    Conversations relating to manufacturing and "hyping" (promoting or sensationalizing) of drugs and drug use are not welcome at MAP."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.