Is it too late for a 23 year old to learn Martial Arts?

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by sinner_silence, May 15, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nomadwanders

Nomadwanders Valued Member

Started karate at 31. There are some things you won't be able to do as easily or get as quickly as the kids and teenagers, and other things which will tend to come easier to you. It's a tradeoff.

Now is the only time you have any influence on, so stop worrying about what could happen or what might have happened if you started earlier or did something differently, and just get on with it! :D

2. TheDarkJester

TheDarkJester 90% Sarcasm, 10% Mostly Good Advice.

Stance training will hurt at first... But in a few weeks of hard work it goes away, only to return when you push yourself harder and harder. Just bust ass through the beginning and later on your foundation will make building onto it much easier.

All martial arts are simple at first, teaching the foundations of the style needed later on.

3. sinner_silence

sinner_silence New Member

4. sinner_silence

yes sir. your point, noted :)

5. Nomadwanders

The best way to get over this sort of thing is to find the largest body of water handy and dive in (metaphorically speaking). Repeatedly. In other words, overcome your lack of confidence by enterring safe situations which make you feel this way and seeing how much fun they can be.

Don't worry about what your classmates are thinking about you! They're happy to have someone new joining, are worrying much more about their own technique, and if they do think you look awkward then they're probably remembering how they felt when they were new!

6. Grahf

Grahf New Member

Woah kishu "real" kung fu isn't for kids??? In china the acadamies take in children when they first learn how to walk and the training they endure is not taken in baby steps as the training you have experienced is as. Whereas parents in America are too afraid of their own shadow to allow their children to do anything they see fit as dangerous. Therefore their training is slighted extraordinarily that is not true for all American facilities but it is true for most. !*Therefore "real" kung fu is for everyone of all ages don't get bent on your ego man.

7. MadMonk108

MadMonk108 JKD/Kali Instructor

That style I mentioned, Ngo Cho Kuen, is one of the roots of Goju-ryu. They practice Sanchin and several "karate" weapons.

Karate is not CMA. It's Okinawanized CMA.

8. sinner_silence

how would i know a traditional chinese martial arts from the americanized or westernized version?

9. sinner_silence

well in china, martial arts is a state law, that explains why they start training at a young age. maybe what kishu means by 'kids' are those people who do not take the martial arts seriously and just, well, taking lessons for teh sake of saying that they are martial artists.. no depth. no art. no heart. no passion for it.

i used to travel back and forth in Mainland China and you are right, kids there take martial arts as a way of life, they are tied to their culture and shows innate passion to it like they were born with the ability to fly, play swords (with elegance) and do the 360deg kick like they were just, well, thumbsucking..

some kids take martial arts like adult-pro and there are adults who take martials arts the childish way... it's all in one's heart i guess than age.

10. Reakt

Reakt Valued Member

Age is never a problem I find, you can start at any age and progess like everyone else, I would actually advise starting when you're a little older because I see 5-8 year olds taking Jujitsu and going up the belts and at that age there is no way they could learn the technique and skill behind the art very well compared to being for example a teenager or adult.

I know personally I would hate to have whisked through all the techniques at an age where I was too young to understand them fully, I would end up taking the blackbelt grading as a Teenager and at least in my case all the Jujitsu training I recieved in the lower belts would be much more of a blurred memory.

11. sinner_silence

is there a difference in approach when teaching an adult beginner from that of a kid?

12. Reakt

Reakt Valued Member

Well theres obvious differences, its like the difference between teaching kids at School and teaching adults in College. Kids are obviously not as mature, shorter attention span and unless its a lifelong commitment or a serious thing (like I expect it is in China) training wont be as effective long term in comparison to being taught when someone is a teenager or adult, as least thats my opinion.

As for the difference, you'll just be taught with more respect as an adult since you already have the maturity and responsibility to learn the Martial Art yourself.

13. Topher

Topher allo!

I started 3 years ago when I was 18. Most people I train with in Wing Chun are older than me. We have one guy starting in his 50's.

What do you wan't to learn (striking, grappling, short or long range etc) and what for (self defence, sport, performance etc)?

Last edited: May 15, 2006
  14. sinner_silence

i wanna learn to use some weapons, specifically, swords. i wanna strengthen my upper body and develop my reflexes.

i would be taking the classes as a form of positive diversion. it's more of emotional healing i guess.

ok, so i'm suffering from anxiety and clinical depression for some time, i even hurt myself severely.. and i personally asked my therapist if the idea of engaging in martial arts could help me heal in some ways.. and of course its a good outlet where i could learn some self-discipline and achive peace inside me. aside from the fact that my chinese blood's screaming a long time ago for me to get into martial arts, i really really wanna get into it. the above mentioned reasons in my post were the only things stoppin me right now.

15. Nomadwanders

I'm not sure I get this one. Most martial arts involve continually coming back to the basics and refining the techniques, so starting age should be irrelevant. Even someone in the art for 20 years occasionally comes across something "new" in a very basic technique, and this often reignites their enthusiasm. Some of the best martial artists in our dojo started at age 6-7, and are now very knowledgeable BB's in their early 20's. Starting at such an early age allowed the art to shape their growth, making them capable of some things that look completely impossible to me. :eek:

This is not to say you can't start when you're older, but I think there are definite advantages for those who start young and stay with it. The ultraserious attitude desired in many martial arts does not need to be there at the start; it's something a martial artist can grow into (along with many of the techniques.

16. thepunisher

thepunisher Banned Banned

I restarted karate at age 28 and have now progressed to orange belt (5.th kyu)in my style. So I can only say it doesn't matter too much at what age you begin as long as you enjoy it, are eager to learn and still feel fit enough to do it. My sensei (assistant chief instructor)started at age 21 and he's still really good at his age now.

And concerning being a beginner: Whatever new thing you start-whether it be learning an instrument, learning to draw or learning a MA you will always be a beginner at it and then progress while you learn. Beginning it is the important thing, as its the first step. You can only progress from there.

Christian

17. sinner_silence

Commence. Yes, I should start things rollin'

18. sinner_silence

mmkay, so i'm a bit confused now. what are the dangers or maybe disadvantages of taking MA lessons at an older age? will i break bones easier or have difficulty adapting to the lessons?

19. EndlessNerd

EndlessNerd Valued Member

Your advantage is that you're an adult who has chosen to take martial arts. No matter how difficult it is at first (if at all), as long as you keep trying, you'll get it, and feel all the more accomplished.

Nobody can tell you what it will be like for you, you just have to give it a try and report back here for feedback. :)

20. sinner_silence

definately be reporting back by next week :)
    just askin people on what i should anticipate. i am absolutely clueless and any input i get from people would be alot of help

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.