Is it possible to take on too much at once?

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Infesticon #1, Jul 3, 2013.

1. Infesticon #1

Infesticon #1 Majesticon

As some of you know I've recently started learning Ju Jitsu.

As it's just a 2 hr class class weekly I thought I'd start doing Tae Kwon Do again too as there are quite a few TKD places in Basingstoke and I saw one that seemed really good and am going there for a taster next week.

And here is the problem, they also do Brazilian Ju Jitsu there, I haven't signed up for a trial lesson in that yet because I'm thinking that doing the TKD and JJ will probably be enough for me and if I start trying to learn 3 things at once I'll just confuse myself and end up learning 0 things at once.

Also what grade are most instructors in BJJ? How does the belt system work? Is it White-Yellow-Green-Blue-Red-Black?

The instructor is a blue belt, he's on the list of official BJJ belt holders, and he got a silver in some competition, this sounds good to me. But I know practically nothing about BJJ apart from it has a very good reputation.

2. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

It has changed recently, but it USED to basically go white-blue-purple-brown-black. These days it is less common, but teaching at blue belt level is perfectly acceptable within BJJ.

Taking all three shouldnt be TOO much of an issue, but if it is a choice between BJJ and another JJ school I would go to the BJJ ina heartbeat...and I have a JJ (Gendai) background

3. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

3 is probably the absolute maximum. JJ, TKD and BJJ are quite different, so I don't think you'll have too much trouble keeping them separate in your mind.
    BJJ belts go White-Blue-Purple-Brown-Black, but the standards for Blue belt are normally quite high and take at a year or more of training to achieve. I'd ask how long he has been training, if it's more than 3 years, then I think you'll be fine, if it's much less, I'd want to know if someone much more senior has approved of him coaching and if someone more senior is overseeing the class.

4. mattt

mattt Valued Member

The ranks changed recently!? I hope not, unless they got rid of Brown.