Is it a good idea to use boxing in a streetfight?

Discussion in 'Boxing' started by crovax612, Dec 18, 2003.

1. Knight_Errant

Knight_Errant Banned Banned

A few small points:
    Boxing is a martial art- and one with a particularly fine standard of athleticism amongst its practitioners at that.

There is a huge amount of skill involved, and all of it will help you if you have a real fight.-as 1onefighting says, footwork and timing etc. are particular concerns for most boxers

The intellectual side of boxing is also good. Boxers are coached individually according to their needs and there is, from what I've seen, a fine tradition of open discussion in the sport.

It's inevitable that in a fight, you will use what you have learned, whether in boxing or anywhere else.

2. TheMachine

TheMachine Valued Member

my cousin who has studied several arts has time and again said that you will primarily use your fists when you get into a streetfight. use whatever you can but knowing how to box is a big advantage

3. walmart stocker

walmart stocker New Member

knowing how to punch in a street fight is very useful...but remember 80 percent of street fights go to the ground....

4. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

80? I thought it was 90? Or was it 95? 75 maybe?

5. Guerilla Fists

Guerilla Fists New Member

It ain't no joke. I got a spiral fracture on my rightmost knuckls on my hand. The metacarpal bones were completely seperated on my ring and pinky finger. Incidentaly this kind of break is known as the "Boxer's fracture" because it happens to boxers and most often when throwing an unsupported punch in a fight.
    In my instance I connected deep on impact but one of my adversaries saw it coming at the last minute and ducked his head down. I connected on the back of his skull and knocked him out (fortunately) but broke both my knuckles. I had to use kicks, my left punches, and some impromptu pirate style grappling (pirate style because of my incapable limb).
    Since I started Kung Fu though I have learned a lot more about bone alignment and body placement and I haven't had the problem since.

6. walmart stocker

yoda i guess you have never been in a fight...

7. binski20

binski20 Valued Member

Not the 200% of fights go to the ground line again.
    Everyone uses this line as grounds to build up grappling arts, which are effective of course. But what about learning to NOT go to the ground??????? Wow, what a concept, this guy wants to take me down, maybe I will try to NOT go down.

Little sarcastic, but let's think about it. Like I said, grappling is effective for what it does, but so is trying to not go to the ground. Using going to the ground as an excuse to build up a grappling art is not the way to go.

8. totality

totality New Member

no son, he was mocking you. now run along, and play with your plastic sword until mommy gets home.

9. walmart stocker

totality
    well i know he was mocking me thats why i said that...geez plastic swords?that is like so 1970's man..lol..you must be very old or perhaps you been spending to much time in the gym,maybe you need to get out more often...

binski20}
    easier said than done...how will you avoid going to the ground if the guy takes you there...??sure you can try not to get thrown to the ground,but in reality if the guy tries to get you down and does what will you do..i am not bashing any art i am just sticking to the topic..the topic is "Is it a good idea to use boxing in a streetfight"? the answer of course is yes any art if good for a street fight,but my point is that most street fights go to the ground......

if any has ever watched ufc fights,boxers don't last very long...

10. moondog

moondog ch'en fake wannabe

crovax i think what the muay thai instructor was trying to tell you is that the parts of the body that can be used as weapons even after they are badly hurt are the knees, palms, and elbows. in fact the mossad, israel's intelligence agency, trains these parts of the body to a very high level. however i have been in and out of streetfights for the past 5 years, and i think that boxers have the highest survival rate in the street, along with muay thai fighters. this is because, in my opinion, their training prepares them for the reality of streetfighting. they continually spar, and as they progress protective gear is lessened until only the gloves remain. in the MA, protective gear is always on in the dojo. i'm not trying to diss the MA, i did TKD for 11 years and am currently doing tai chi full time, but in terms of conditioning the mind and body for brutality, i think boxing and muay thai have the advantage. while muay thai fighters will have the advantage of knowing how to use their feet, very useful in streetfights, boxers train to kill with their punches, so i think it all evens out. boxers are prepared for the raw aggression and brutality seen in the streets because they face it every day when they spar, and they spar very very frequently. again, this is my experience as a MA and as one who has been involved in numerous streetfights. i'd welcome anyone's opinion.
    p.s. walmart stocker : UFC, as well as any other competition, has rules. you can't judge the efficacy of a fighting style on the street based on how well it does in a competition.

11. The Technical

The Technical New Member

You'll have to be aware of the "weak" spots of the body, for example, the forehead is a very dense and strong bone area, not a good target, however the jaw is covered with a lot of nerves, and it just hangs from two joints which makes it a good target to send a shock impact to the brain which KOs the opponent.

12. moondog

the kidneys and the lower ribs are also some good spots to hit, along with the solar plexus and the area that connects the head to the neck, just below the jaw. from experience though, whenever you sock it out with some buff guy, i'd concentrate on head and neck shots, since these guys usually have strong muscles in the torso which do a good job of absorbing impact. i came up against a muay thai fighter in my country's national wushu championship, and none of my body shots had any effect on him since he was very well muscled in that area. of course this is only from my level of skill, i've met some martial artists that can break the ribs of even the most heavily muscled body builder.

13. STASH

STASH New Member

That's true, fights in the UFC usually end on the ground, but it's still not the same as a fight in real life. If you're rolling around on the ground with someone you're a huge target for his friends and you'll be taking kicks to the head from all directions.

I have great respect for the UFC and other NHB competitions, but real fights dont happen in closed off rings or octagons and are rarely 1 on 1.

14. moondog

i totally agree with stash. again the efficacy of the martial arts cannot be judged through competitions, even one like UFC or PRIDE, because they all have rules. there are no rules in the street. and it always boils down to the person, not the art. someone can be 10th dan of any martial art, yet if he freezes in a fight all the skill he possesses is useless. likewise a person may have no martial training, but if he remains calm and has the heart to truly fight he'll do a lot better than the martial artist who freezes in combat. nothing can substitute experience in the streets.

15. walmart stocker

well i was thinking in terms of 1 on 1...and you are right most street fights end up either 5 on 1 or 5vs 5 depending on if you have back up with you....

16. Topher

Topher allo!

You don’t have to be stronger that your attacker, just make them weaker. Ah, i like that!

17. YODA

Here's another one for you....

The goal is not to win - the goal is to not lose :D

18. Topher

Topher allo!

Smartass ;)

19. YODA

Not me - Rorian Gracie :D

20. cioGium

cioGium New Member

I think you can't undestand boxing if you don't practice it(i feel this goes with all martial arts). I have started boxing to complement my muay-thai training and i must say i am impressed.
    After the warm up you do shadow boxing and then you start the punching(all the punching is done in 3 min rounds):
    -punch the bags: 1st round just the lead hand
    2nd round lead + back hand
    3rd round lead+back+lead
    4th round short distance
    5th round free round
    - shadow boxing againg
    - wall mounts- again on rouns
    - slow shadow boxing
    - sparing one on one
    - clinch work

I must mention that after the 4th round of punching i felt my shoulders would pop up and i will colapse & fall asleep.
    On the wall mount the first thing that the trainer showed me is how to put the hips behind the punch and not to forget to protect my head with the hand not punching.

I have seen there 15 years old boys that gave true reasons to fear a boxer- i wouldn't want to connect with those "kids" croses or straight punches.
    There was one 8 years old kid, Baluta his name, that punched the uppercut wallmount for 5 straight rounds and it seemed he was playing. Would you like to feel his uppercut at 15?
    I know i am a bit off topic with this reply but i think that there are a few martial arts that prepare you for a fight (not a match but selfdefence) as boxing. Boxing and Streetfighting mix very well i might add.

p.s. was wondering, after 1 year of Boxing are you able to defend yoursel if the time comes? :rolleyes: