is it a good idea to shadow box whilst holding weights?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by andysparx, Jun 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Knight_Errant

Knight_Errant Banned Banned

No, he's going at it hammer and tongs. I'm just having to repeatedly explain the simplest analogies and laws of physics imagineable.

Besides, in sports science terms it's a fairly significant debate.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2010
  2. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

So to clarify, your'e saying that you believe I'm unbelievably stupid in the interests of the TOS.

Ok, that makes a lot of sense.

It's just semantics, there is also downword momentum from the weight of gravity that counteracts the added weight to the momentum.

I just choose to see the momentum of the arm and weight as one (momentum). but i did describe it (the weight) as added weight to the momentum generated - which I think is as accurate as anything you described. So we aren't actually describing anything that different, just using different words do do it.

I think my description was better - obviously.

Again, you have just made statements, but havn't explained anything. You may see it pointless, doesn't mean it is pointless to everyone. Seeing as i've trained with guys that havedone it for much longer than I have, you think I or they might have come across this "high potential" for injury. It hasn't been the case.

See the post slipthejab made. i basically agree about what he said in terms of injuries from this.

If I'm going to believe number 3. It would be nice to hear a bit more explanation. As it is it's very nebulous. As in its not very clear how and why that is. If you can't explain, then just don't worry about it.

At this point just repeating "it's baaaad" is just going to take us in circles.

Is that supposed to be your Mr. Miyagi accent ?

very good.

3. liokault

liokault Banned Banned

I didnt do it, a bigger boy made me. Just how Welsh are you?

4. Knight_Errant

It's just that the weight does generate momentum, carrying your hand forward. So you have to 'pull' the technique. I can't think how to make it any clearer than that
    Sod off tai chi boy, and don't come back until your voice breaks.

And no, I don't talk that way to slip, because slip, frankly, scares me. You, however, can keep your oar out. Or have it shoved where the sun don't shine.

5. Llamageddon

Llamageddon MAP's weird cousin Supporter

To those who haven't heeded my first warning, this is your last.

If you can't have a civil debate, I'll lock this thread and you wont have a debate at all. Then all the bigger boys will be angry.

Your call.

6. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

Actually, a simple yes or no answer works. You could have just kept the first sentence in your post and that's all it would take.

From what I saw and judged, I could easily make that assumption. I've got almost 15 years of boxing under my belt from when I was a young kid staying out of trouble to boxing in the Marine Corps to now training troubled youths at a local gym in the sweet science. I've seen fellas who say "Yeah I box a bit" then punch like a kitten swatting at a string all the time.

My reason for asking is simple. I don't do Tai Chi, so I won't tell someone who knows what Tai Chi is all about how to train for Tai Chi. What I do know is boxing, and when I say something can affect your boxing skills coming from a pretty decent boxing background, the guy who has been working on boxing "a fair bit" for under two years should probably consider it valid advice. And about the trainer thing: I'm assuming he's a personal trainer. Comparing personal training to exercise physiology is like comparing someone who knows first aid to a medical doctor.

I don't do this for a living either Jack. I'm an LEO.

Actually I just said the one post, you responded in full. And we're hosting a charity boxing event here in May, schedule allowing I'll be there and probably trading leather with some of the firefighters.

It's fine though. Really, in the end of the day, like I said, it's your training. I just hate seeing people training in a way that's detrimental and won't listen to reason. It's like training a young athlete who could have the potential to do something better, but instead just wants to do things his own way and never even reaches above mediocre. Pet peeve of mine, I guess that's why I got more into this than I wanted to. Oh well. Can't help everyone.

7. liokault

liokault Banned Banned

Gwent?

8. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

I was thinking New Jersey myself.

9. Knight_Errant

This might work on somebody actually born in Wales.

I was going to add '<personal attack>', but I'd like to announce an immediate end to hostilities on this thread. I have other fronts to concentrate on.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 11, 2010
  10. Llamageddon

Llamageddon MAP's weird cousin Supporter

See what happens when you don't follow the rules?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.