is it a good idea to shadow box whilst holding weights?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by andysparx, Jun 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. andysparx

andysparx Valued Member

Its just something someone said to me, to either shadow box, or punch the bag holding light wieghts, only 2 kilo's. I did this for a bit the other night, and it definitely worked my tri's and lats, mainly as well as my shoulders. But is this a good training techniques?

Any tips would be appreciated....

Cheers, andy

2. Gary

Gary Vs The Irresistible Farce Supporter

Nope, there's a big risk of joint damage not to mention stress it adds. You'd adapt to the weight pretty quickly anyway. It's much better to train strength seperately and then learn to apply it with methods such as bag work or pad work.

3. Sever

Sever Valued Member

To be blunt, no it's not and anyone that tells you otherwise needs to get a clue
    Aside from the fact that it will have precisely zero positive impact on your punching power, it greatly increases the likelihood of joint injuries

4. Trick Nasty

Trick Nasty space monkey

It's actually a bad idea. Holding weights puts downward resistance on your hands rather than a pushing force opposite to your punch. Just hit a heavy bag to improve your form and increase power.

5. Cuchulain82

Cuchulain82 Custodia Legis

I'll make it a fourth person- no! Holding weights can cause serious damage to joints. If you want to make your punches stronger there are many options that will give much greater benefit- correcting form and lifting come to my mind immediately.

6. spirez

spirez Valued Member

They can be done with cables to mimic the motion and muscles used but don't do it often! Train slow, fight slow and all that jazz

7. andysparx

andysparx Valued Member

ok, thats good to clear up. i'd never heard anyone else mention it, but i thought i'd ask. SO what weights would you reccomend doing for punching power, but still keeeping a fast punch? i do some weights but therye mainly shoulders and tri's for the upper body...

should i work my lats a bit more?

cheers,

andy

8. Gary

Gary Vs The Irresistible Farce Supporter

I've seen videos of Ross Enemait using resistance bands, I haven't tried it myself but it looks a whole lot better than using weights.

9. spirez

spirez Valued Member

Yeah the bands are similar to using cables.

To increase punching power you want to be doing whole body weights, simple as!

10. Cuchulain82

Cuchulain82 Custodia Legis

Seriously- if you want to punch harder, you should work on technique. I'm a big guy (6'1", 240 lbs) and I got more speed and power by cleaning up my form than I did from any lift.

If you do want to weight train, consider full body movements. Punching relies on hip/core motion to generate power. It's the turn that gives speed and power- if you don't plant your feet, you won't have any heat at all on a punch. So, as ever, try doing deadlifts, squats, cleans, etc.

11. Al_Bundy

Al_Bundy Valued Member

Ok, let me disagree with all the no's here. I shadowbox with weights and i can tell you it's great. Do 3 rounds with weights and 2 without. The effect is increased speed and stability of your punches. I've been doing sb with weights (aprox. in intervals-1 month with w., one without) for over 2 years now and never had anything close to an injury. The weight itself makes you grip hard and never let your arm "loose" into the punch, which later transfers to regular shadboxing and punching in general.
    I believe you can injure yourself only if you lack proper technique. Obviously i wouldn't recommend it to beginners as it would have no effect. But once you learn basic technique, it has it's advantages.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2007
  12. fire cobra

fire cobra Valued Member

Shadow boxing with leight weights has benifited me over the years,however be sure to shadow box more without the weights than you do with the weights,using light weights is the same as using heavy boxing gloves,good for the shoulders :)

13. andysparx

andysparx Valued Member

yeah, after talking to a couple of thai boxersi know, both of whom now fought in thailand, and now teach, they said it was fine. One is still doing it after 20 yrs... As long as i kept it to light weights, of around 2 kilo's, as it would increase my strenght, without, decreasing my speed . They also recomended alot of explosive exercises to engage the core etc... none of them using heavy weights.

CHeers for the advice, and i'll make sure i still do it without weights...

Andy

14. Sgt_Major

Sgt_Major Ex Global Mod Supporter

I'll add to the no camp. Is it worth the risk of joint injury for something you can do another way?

15. andysparx

andysparx Valued Member

i dont understand how i could get a joint injury?....#

Can anyone explain a bit more?

16. Sgt_Major

Sgt_Major Ex Global Mod Supporter

one way is hyperextension.

Also as mentioned above, the extra weight is putting downward force on your arm, which is not the way the punch should be travelling, so they lever on the joints with extra pressure in order to keep the fist moving horizontally.

There is also more weight needing to stop. The ligaments in your wrist were not designed for this.

Im sure someone can provide more evidence...

17. tetsu ryu

tetsu ryu Death is always a option!

Nope. You should get some resistance bands if you want some stronger punches and be sure to give all you've got on the heavy bag and all to often I see people worried about their punch but your guard is just as important, try holing some dumbells up where you'd keep your guard and hold it for time. But just remember the ultimate way that you can train.. Chop down a red wood tree with a hatchet and then.. You will achieve ultimate punching power!

Last edited: Jun 27, 2007
  18. Al_Bundy

Al_Bundy Valued Member

I really don't see how you can hyperextent your arm, unless you throw your arms around like they're dead??

Did you suffered an injury because of sb with weights? Do you know anyone that did? ......

19. andysparx

andysparx Valued Member

i agree with al here actually, cause surely i could do that anyway, just without weights... Thats just down to bad technique...

20. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

We do a few rounds of SB with weights at Karate.
    While I'm no fan if it per se I'm not that down on it either. Certainly not in the "don't do it you'll get injured" camp.
    We've been doing it (as a group) on and off for years now and NEVER had an injury from it.
    I see it more about training your arms to maintain a guard to be honest.
    Strengthening the muscles that maintain that bent arms, hands high, elbows in, position.
    I also don't fully agree that it trains the wrong muscles either. While it's true the weight is pulled down by gravity that's exactly what happens to your hands too, even when they don't hold weights. Holding weights just forms an extreme example of what your muscles will have to do anyway (ie, overcome the effects of inertia and gravity to force your limbs out explosively).

So basically I'd say give it a few rounds. It won't really injure you (unless you start wanging away like demented chimp) and it might help build stamina in the muscles that maintain your guard (something that almost everyone could do with developing).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.