Is grappling in thailand worth it?

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Maryreade1234, Jan 1, 2020.

1. Maryreade1234

Maryreade1234 Member

Hey so iv done one month of muay thai here in thailand and am staying here for 3 more weeks. Wondering if I should just do more muay thai or do wrestling or bjj once a day and muay thai once a day. Iv loved how much iv progressed in my striking in just one month, im not the best but im ok and can put a lot of power when striking pad, checking kicks a lot more instinctivly as well.

I noticed that the MT training is just far superior for 2 reasons: 1. The trainers are elite all ex pro fighters to some degree, 2. You get lots of one on one time with the trainer, dont have to swap pads etc and they will correct you constantly if you make mistakes.

Is grappling the same? I know that they won't be at an elite level comparable to muay thai but is reason 2 still applicable. Reason 1 may not apply but if the trainer is moderatly good it doesn't matter that much as im a level 0 grappler. Does reason 2 still apply do you get lots of time with the trainer or is it more of a western style class of pick a partner and do drills with said partner, both making mistakes and not being pulled up on them?

2. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Your in Thailand, maximise the amount of time you have training the thing their best at.

There's plenty of time for BJJ when you get back.

BJJ classes won't be one on one, they'll be a normal group class.

3. Maryreade1234

Maryreade1234 Member

Ok thanks. I just wondered if it was a thai cultural thing to spend at least 30 mins with each student or a muay thai thing. I know that you can do stuff like 3 month bluebelt so wondered whether it was just lots of one to one time.

4. Dead_pool

^ nope that was just a scam!

They have a lot of ex Thai fighters, so its its an easy and cheap way to make use of them.

Mushroom likes this.
  5. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Hey! I wish you'd kept us updated I'd love to hear out your travels!

Like dp said, probably best spent doing everything Muay Thai. The quality there for that specific sport is as good as you'll get. Grappling is excellent everywhere regardless of country.

axelb and Dead_pool like this.
  6. Dead_pool

Did you have a match in the end?

How did it go?

7. Maryreade1234

Maryreade1234 Member

Yes I did. Got slaughtered but worth the experience im gonna fight again when im better trained.

8. Pretty In Pink

Well done! You got a good fight on your hands and you didn't quit! Win or lose you did it! Congrats!

9. Maryreade1234

Maryreade1234 Member

Im gonna switch to pure muay thai I think. Learning 4 different martial arts is a bit much.

axelb and Dead_pool like this.
  10. Dead_pool

Will you be able to compete easily in the UK?

11. Maryreade1234

Maryreade1234 Member

Im not sure. Mens egos in the west might not wanna fight me, but then fighting womens tricky as well cos sanctioning.

My friends over here told me men wont wanna fight me cos loosing to a girl is gonna hurt there ego.

Dead_pool likes this.
  12. Dead_pool

The gender issue is always going to be more of a problem in sports where their is a risk of TBI.

13. Pretty In Pink

I mean your situation isn't the same as Fallon Fox. I'm sure you yourself fighting other women isn't as bad as hers situation because she was already at a high level before the transition.

14. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

well done for getting out there and into the ring! :)

15. IronMaiden1991

IronMaiden1991 Active Member

Let me know what you think of the gym you are at. I honestly am considering a trip to Thailand do do regular drop in classes at Tiger Muay Thai, but I'd stick with just the Muay Thai, Muay Boran and Krabi Krabong. I'd rather use the rest of my time to sightsee and live a bit more, and there is always BJJ and GLIMA for me here

16. Maryreade1234

Maryreade1234 Member

I went to two gyms.

Suwit gym: Cheap and training is ok, but its a got two problems the first being that its just a fat camp full of fat sex tourists wanting to lose weight. The second is that the head trainer is a creep who sexually assaulted me and then tried it on with another woman who came to the camp.

Nong Toom GYM: Nong toom runs a small gym. It feels more like a local small gym, not many people even know it exists but I had my friend Emma put me in touch it was good training but wasn't really a fighting gym. I just went there cos she is like a hero to me.

I will go back there next winter.