Is fencing a martial art?

Discussion in 'Other Styles' started by pk., Jul 22, 2003.

1. pk.

pk. New Member

Title says it all :D I realsise this wont be a long thread!

2. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

It depends on what you mean by the term "Fencing".

The way modern sport fencing is practiced by the vast majority - no it is not.

CAN Fencing be a martial art? Yes - very much so. You just need to pretend you have a sword instead of a whippy length of wire :D

Last edited: Jul 22, 2003
  3. teacher

teacher Valued Member

There's a book called the secret history of the sword by
    J Christoph Amberger the discusses this issue. It is a great book and shows that the argument between " real" fighting and " sport" fighting is not new.
    What you train is often best defined by how you train.
    In this book I leaned that sabre fighters in sport who cannot strike below the waist has sod all to do with not wanting to hit the opponent's horse.

4. pk.

pk. New Member

Right thanks, but obviously the movements and techniques vary with different styles of sword?

5. teacher

teacher Valued Member

Yes the movements and techniques vary depending on the type of sword and depending on the preferences of the different schools, the time period and the puposes of their practice.
    And also the armour the opponent might have and the prevalent defensive techniques.
    several thousnds of years of swordfighting it does get a bit complicated.

6. Andrew Green

Andrew Green Member

It is practiced more realistically then most "martial arts", even foil with its goofy right of way rules :D

So I say Yes!

7. Knight_Errant

Knight_Errant Banned Banned

Are there any good resources on learning fencing etc.? I found a tutorial somewhere on the web, but it's not honestly that good.

8. teacher

teacher Valued Member

What kind of fencing?

9. Knight_Errant

um, hitting things with swords...

10. teacher

teacher Valued Member

You could have a look at this
    www.thehaca.com/
    It's the same old same old Knight-E best results come from mixing it with people. Western sports fencing has so many rules it is not very realistic, on the other hand you go face to face with an opponent very early.
    I like Filipino martial arts as a generic weapons discipline. Most people focus nowadays on it as a stick art but is is easily adapted to short sword.
    Kendo again seems very rules oriented from the little I've seen, but again you stand up against a real person.
    There are also historical re-enactors out there who usually have a few MAs amongst them.

11. Knight_Errant

cool! Do you think historical renactment stuff would be a good way to practice?

12. teacher

teacher Valued Member

Depends totally on the people you find to practice with and how much training they did. I think there are other people here who have done historical re-enactment you could try and flush them out. Maybe a thread in weapons?
    I'd suggest go philipino if there's a club in your area and buy yourself a machete. There's a lot of kung-fu and tai-chi sword form books available but most of them are pretty ****poor for learning from. If there is a university near you they will have a fencing club. They are usually open to non-students but you might have to phone them first.

13. Louie

Louie STUNT DAD Supporter

There are a number of individuals NOT RE-ENACTORS who are going back to older forms of 'fencing' that also contain disarms, trips, kicks and punching... such as Terry Brown, founder of English Martial Arts.

I have an Asian MA background but recently took up the study of a form of fencing called 'Single-Stick' (which uses an ash stick with a wicker basket guard and has possibly been in continuous practice in the UK since the 1700's) along with the armlocks, kicks, trips & throws of European Martial Arts.

Louie (Greenock, Scotland)

14. Cudgel

Cudgel The name says it all

single stick is nasty. I shudder at teh thoght of doing it. :)
    HIstorical reenactment CAN be a good way to learn but it depends on the group and teh people. But the really good people in a reenactment group tend to be really good. and they are good places to learn how to fight enmass.

15. the crow

the crow New Member

the jkd in winnipeg needs work but I need some more training to be like bruce lee

16. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

Technically by royal decree its actually a martial science.

Its not a bad way, but I prefer LRP.

17. Cudgel

yeah larpers arent the bvest way they are worse than reenactment groups.
    Why because they use giant foaom weapons that dont weigh anything like what what areal one does.

18. oldcelt

oldcelt New Member

The "art to fence" is very old....the term "martial arts" is actually english.

So......in a very real sense, yes, fencing is a martial art....a "western" martial art.

Modern sport fencing is an offshoot of what developed in the late 1600's/early 1700's.

19. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

Apparently you've never had the weight of some of the weapons. Admittedly its not quite equivalent, but only the tippy tappers use ridiculously light weapons. You'll also find that they do actually pick up the techniques, after all, you don't punch full-power in class all the time, particularly when you're learning, so why use live blades all the time?

20. Cudgel

I've seen boofers I've made boffers and I know people who use boffers.
    If you play with toy sword you only become toy swords(wo)men
    Admittedly you cant always hit fullpower nor do you need to but if you never use steel then your veiw of teh weapon ids skewed. Dangerously so.

Maybe you use more realistic boofers I dont know. For all I know you actually have realistically weighted foam weapons, if you do then tell me so.