is ed parker's kenpo legit?

Discussion in 'Kenpo' started by snoopy7, Nov 7, 2008.

1. Griffin

Griffin Valued Member

"clutching feathers" can be seen in the hawk form from Bagua,
    "5 swords" is a standard practise for old Bagua pugilists.
    Yes, i agree these influences may have come from anywhere.
    My angle on this subject also includes Aikido, I believe M.Ueshiba to have travelled to China for calligraphy....
    Bagua was developed along with the I-Ching, simply pre dating anything else.

Perhaps you can see a Hsing-i influence in Go-Ju ryu? I dont state these things as fact just my Idea on this subject :)

2. Griffin

Griffin Valued Member

Also, if you look at B.Lee upbringing, he spent plenty of time from birth watching his father and friends... What do you suspect they were training in these formative years of his life. His father was in chinese theatre or opera...
    Once again, my opinion, im not attempting to rewrite facts or anything lol.

3. El Medico

El Medico Valued Member

Lee learned Hung when he was a kid.His father taught him Wu TC form,which Lee practiced daily 'til his death.Just form.tho'.Until his WC,that's his martial education.Just because his dad was an actor I see no reason for an assumption that Pk was being practiced.Also,never heard his father was at a level of practical usage w/his TC.So why do you feel PK was an influence?Because you think he may have seen some in the theater crowd?TC isn't considered an influence,and we know he practiced one aspect of that daily.

Individual techniques,such as one from a PK hawk form don't always point to an influence,just similarity in a technique.

Ueshiba travelled to China as part of the Japanese military.In other words,he was there to shoot people.That was where he received his first religious epiphany,under fire as I recall.(What does calligraphy have to do w/anything?)

The PK influence in Goju I can recognize.Altho' HI is credited w/influence,it does not seem to be in a recognizable form-but I imagine that some of the technique I see as PK influence could as easily have come from HI.

"Bagua was developed along with the I-Ching, simply pre dating anything else."

By this you mean the trigrams,not the martial system,right?(Which is actually trigrams first,I Ching later).As the martial system dates from the mid 1800s-one of the newest of the "traditional" CMAs.While one particular sect of Taoists practiced circle walking,it wasn't part of a martial system.And tho' various folks have tried to claim a pre Tung,H-c PK,including the Wu Tang clan,decades of research have never been able to show anything prior to Tung.

Later.

4. Griffin

Griffin Valued Member

Ooorrr, I liked my version better LOL, hey thanx for sharing your knowledge :)
    I was only trying to pin it to Mr Parker and Mr Ueshiba, maybe Mr Lee also, not as a tracable lineage but perhaps a connection with an energy that had these men seek "circle's and lines of movement concerning the human form".
    Yes, the popular forms of Bagua were created by Dung, however, the circle walking and so on has always existed. Do you think the Chinese made these discoveries concerning energies just to write them in a book... Ofcourse they got real physical with it...
    Thanks again for your knowledgable input, I suppose thats what these forums are for, Opinions vs Facts :)
    Peace :)

5. Doc C.

Doc C. Valued Member

Sorry to bust your bubble but Tommy Chavies was not ever a 1st generation student of Ed Parker. Anyone who says different is either misinformed or dishonest. All of Tommy's IKKA black belt ranks came from me. Tommy Chavies has no IKKA diplomas that do not have my signature on the instructor line. I promoted him to black, and awarded him all of his diplomas including the last one that I signed after Mr. Parker's death for 5th. While Mr. Parker's signature is on the diploma it is there as the President of the IKKA, not as the awarding instructor. He is also listed under my lineage on the IKKA Family Tree created by Mr. Parker.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2009
  6. DHarms

DHarms Valued Member

It is good to ask these questions there is a lot of Bad Kenpo instructors out I searched really hard before I went into a Kenpo school I was Fortunate to Have Graham Lelliots school a few miles from my house. He is a great instructor and a great Martial Artist, I unfortunately only stayed there 2 months. Life is hard sometimes lol but do your research for sure.