Is boxing/muay thai less injury intensive than mma/bjj

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Maryreade1234, Aug 16, 2019.

1. Maryreade1234

Maryreade1234 Member

Hey so yesterday I had just recovered from my rib injury after a month off like doctor told me.

So I went back to class and this rib was fine. We were drilling one two punch into a takedown then armbar. Did this solid for 1 hour. Then eventually my top rib cracked on impact during the takedown. So im out for another month!

Is this happening cos my body isnt used to grappling or is bjj/grappling more injury intensive than muay thai? Im thinking of maybe switching to training muay thai and learning grappling in a year or so when my bodies used to training and iv got some basic knowledge of how to fight.

2. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Maybe learn BJJ and Muay Thai and leave wrestling until later? Wrestling is hard on the body and the more tired you and your partner are when drilling the more likely you are to get injured.

Grond and axelb like this.
  3. Maryreade1234

Maryreade1234 Member

Why is wrestling harder on the body than BJJ? Thought it was just BJJ without the gi?

4. Maryreade1234

Maryreade1234 Member

Or is it that gi provides some protection to the ribs as its thick fabric?

5. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Wrestling = takedowns

BJJ = groundwork

CSW = a mix of nogi BJJ and wrestling, and others.

Very roughly, it's not a 100% black and White thing,

Also if your getting injured so much, scale back your hours and intensity until your body can cope with it.

Grond and axelb like this.
  6. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

it's the being thrown, or throwing that's the risk injury, especially in your scenario(ribs).

There will still be risks with BJJ or muay Thai, but you can take sparring easy to get around it.
    It's difficult to spar takedowns/wrestling in a "light" format.

As @Pretty In Pink said, when you get tired, you don't fall so well, don't tighten the core as much, so chance of re injury increases.

Grond, Morik and Dead_pool like this.
  7. Pretty In Pink

No it's very different. In Wrestling all the grappling is aimed at starting on the feet and taking someone down. BJJ is reversing positions and catching submissions when you're already on the ground. As a result in wrestling you're lifting people and dropping them in wrestling and in BJJ they are already down so you're not likely to fall on them.

Morik and Dead_pool like this.
  8. Dead_pool

Grond likes this.
  9. Maryreade1234

Maryreade1234 Member

Both but the big injury I got was when someone threw me and jumped on me putting me in side control. In csw.

Dead_pool likes this.
  10. Pretty In Pink

That falls under the term "Wrestling".

Picking people up and putting them down = wrestling
    Starting on the ground and getting submissions = BJJ

axelb and Dead_pool like this.
  11. Dead_pool

Try striking and BJJ seperately for a while, it'll give your ribs time to get used to the pressure.

12. Dead_pool

Part of this might just be you training so much straight away, and/or going too hard for your nown body in drills, you've only been training eight odd weeks and you've already had four weeks off.

13. Maryreade1234

Maryreade1234 Member

Thanks for your responce think ill look for a bjj specific gym and do that for a while. Is it a bad idea to intensly train one art?

I was doing 12 hrs a week of mma. Can I switch to 12 hrs bjj or do you have to slowly work up in grappling arts?

14. Dead_pool

You have BJJ classes and striking classes at your gym, you can just do those and then work up your hours over time, from the website they have additional BJJ classes at another location too.

By injuring yourself twice, that's your body saying it's not ready for 12 hours a week, start at four or six for a while and then add on a few hours after a month or two, and have regular deload weeks where you only train once or twice.

15. Dead_pool

From your gyms website

Mon

18:00-19:30 // Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu (Gi)
    19:30-21:00 // Muay Thai

Wednesday:

18:00-19:30 // MMA Pad Workout
    19:30-21:00 // Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu (Gi)

Friday:

19:00-20:30 // Muay Thai

Saturday:
    11:00-13:00 // Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu (Gi)

Sunday:
    10:30-13:00 // Sparring / Open Mat

Also

Crossface is part of Team ICON.
    When you become a member of Crossface you are welcome to train at any other ICON clubs at no extra charge. With another ICON club at West Herts Sports Club you can train BJJ 6 days a week in Watford.

16. Grond

Grond Valued Member

I don't know, but I do think it's bad to fall badly. I don't think "arts" come into play here, more like physics, bad luck, and maybe your skill level. I'm pretty good at falling because I am not so coordinated and fell a lot as a kid. My eyesight is also terrible which didn't help. I'm pretty sure later on my clumsiness got me injured on more than a few occasions. I've put my face right in the danger zone of double crosses, and paid for it in brain slosh. A minor rib injury is to be expected, but I'd take that over a concussion any day. My advice is to lick your wounds and carry on. Try not to fall so bad next time, I guess.

17. Grond

Grond Valued Member

As far as the original title asked, I think they're all equally injury intensive. And BJJ is not "safe", and it has a standup game too, with about the same injuries as Judo does and so on...Royce Gracie started on his feet every UFC match. One throw can KO somebody. It happens in the Olympics all the time. Limbs get destroyed in BJJ. Bodies get smashed in Olympic Judo. It's all the same from the practitioners POV, in my opinion.

18. Pretty In Pink

BJJ has very VERY limited stand up and it's mostly practiced dead and never in sparring save for competition training.

19. Grond

Grond Valued Member

Except in MMA and Vale Tudo, right? How do you define VERY limited? I was under the impression all or at least most of the Judo throws are included in BJJ. And I know people who were primarily BJJ artists did very well in the first UFCs on their feet. BJJ competitors start on their feet, do they not? Most of the competition videos of BJJ I have seen start like Judo and maybe continue on the ground, but some definitely end with one throw.

20. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

Just to add to PiP's good answer, its kind of a 'theory v practice' thing.

In theory, they should be equally dangerous since they both have stand up and ground components, with BJJ being more dangerous perhaps since it doesn't stop the ground stuff so easily.

in practice, vast majority of BJJ practitioners (and, by extension, schools) are god awful at stand up unless they've cross-trained. That could make it more dangerous, but in practice its so bad they can't even be dangerous by being half good. BJJ stand up is almost entirely just guard jumping and trips. Which do have risk, sure, but nowhere near as much as all the twisting and throwing of judo, or the heavy pressure and strength of wrestling.

Speaking of, that's the other thing. BJJ peeps, while some definitely can generate fantastic top pressure, in my exeperience at least, aren't as good at pressure as wrestlers or judoka. If OP is injured, but still wants to grapple, BJJ is probably the easiest to work around an injury. Not just because of style and technique differences, but because I've found the people themselves are far more able/can't help being lighter and not aggravating body injuries as much,

Dead_pool likes this.