Is Boxing a Martial Art?

Discussion in 'Boxing' started by Dirk Dagger, Feb 5, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yukimushu

Yukimushu MMA addict

It doesn't matter weather its a martial art or not; as long as your able to attack / defend yourself then who cares? :D

2. Slindsay

Slindsay All violence is necessary

So to sum up what we have all gained from this thread:

3. JKD guy

JKD guy New Member

Marc MacYoung

"I would rather fight an 'expert martial artist', than a so-so boxer" - Marc MacYoung

That quote kind of says it all, no ?

4. cybermonk

cybermonk New Member

Cant believe this thread was resurected, but while we are at it, I dont think that quote says it all, I just think its a very biased quote. A so so boxer would be as good as a so so "martial artist." Why would it be any different?

5. tkdhkddave

tkdhkddave Valued Member

My own humble opinion, clearly boxing (western) has it's roots firmly in ma if you go back a few hundred years. And for a long time now has been part of army life, and it's an art for sure, if you don't think so then go to a reputile boxing gym and try it, so i think if you want to call it a martial art you could.

As far as usefulness on the street goes, lets just say I have been doing ma since junior school age and I'm now approaching 30, I train in hkd, tkd and amauter boxing and would have to say some of the best and most focused and nasty punchers I have seen all came out of a boxing gym although I wouldn't want to fight any of them one on one outside if I had a choice I would choose the tkd stylist.

I think anyone who does a ma and dimisses boxing because it's a sport and is on tv is missing out on valuable cross training and need to open their minds up a bit.

6. AAAhmed46

AAAhmed46 Valued Member

I agree with tkdhkddave. Just try and feel a punch to the head from a boxer.

7. glenchuy

glenchuy has two left feet

i'm 5'8-1/2" and 130lbs, i don't think i can play sumo with 400 pounders :p

8. inosanto1

inosanto1 Valued Member

boxing is certainly a martial art, if you look at the influence of the filipino arts on boxing, look at the progression of boxing(ie stances, punching styles) especially early on in the bare knuckle eras,. John Sullivan, who looked like a karate man when he fought, look at the filipinos with the knife, they were bobbing and weaving long before boxers. Ali actually trained with now well known filipino's to improve his footwork. TKD and Karate are the most well known of the martial arts due to public perception and films(Karate Kid Series), TKD due to being in the sports environment

9. inosanto1

inosanto1 Valued Member

so what is thai boxing, if not the same. Bruce Lee had great respect for boxers, if i put money on a boxer and a martial artist in the street, it would be the boxer. and how do you define a MA? does it have to come from Japan,china Korea, MA actually started in india and most notably, Thai boxing is over 1000 years old

10. inosanto1

inosanto1 Valued Member

it is a true form of combat, purely because you have to test yaslf in order to progress, you have to get in that ring, that is very hard, what did Bruce state" to honestly express yourself" no belts no hidden costs, just membership.

11. AAAhmed46

AAAhmed46 Valued Member

I will admit that Boxing is too concentrated in one area of striking, but so is TKD. WIth cross training, boxing can be devastating. Hell, muay thai schools take almost all thier punchs from boxing, and take many factors from it. And muay thai cannot be critisized as a sport.

12. Krazy5051

Krazy5051 Valued Member

Greetings,

Boxing is one of the most shallow martial arts, I agree.

Generally, most Boxers are stereotypically dumb and can only use their fists as that is what they are conditioning and training most for effectiveness.

As for boxers v REAL martial artists (real martial artists as in we have a complete system), a boxer wouldn't defeat an MA. The MA would take the boxer to the ground if needed and he/she would be like a fly in water.

Boxers rely on their image of being able to "knock you out mate in one punch" but unfortunately only a select few really can and the techniques and expertise of the human body from an educated and well rounded martial artist could destroy a boxer in a second.

I can see boxing being only good for one thing, fitness.

It will offend some people, but unfortunately theres not much to boxing. Although alot of people who put their life into boxing and training them believe there is...

Example:

Trainer: My boy will knock you out in a few rounds mate, his power and fitness is unbelievable.
    Boxer: Yea my punches are lethal, a few of them and you'll be on the ground out cold.
    ::Krazy5051 grabs trainer and chokes him out, then attacks the boxers knee and swipes and breaks his arms:: - Krazy leaves boxing club.

I'd never be caught in a boxing club unless I was operating a 'clean up'.
    The intelligence levels and incompetence is to much.

Yours in martial arts, :woo:

Kid

Last edited: Nov 20, 2004
  13. alex_000

alex_000 You talking to me?

Talking like that only shows that you never had any involvment/contact with boxing or boxers.

If you had you would even be afraid to troll on a forum about boxing.

14. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

Krazy5051 - If I responded to that post as I feel it needs responding to - I would have to sin bin myself. :rolleyes:

I have seldom (I won't say never) heard such load a utter nonsense. :eek:

15. mike-a

mike-a Eskrima Geek

Yikes!

I've had to deal with boxing in my JKD/integrated arts training. I have a background of japanese arts, and was in no way prepared to deal with a boxer.

They have a limited set of tools, and a lack of kicking and grappling may appear to seriously disadvantage a boxer, but I have nothing but respect for the "sweet science". It's easy enough to move to a range where the "pure" boxing techniques don't work, but that doen't prove boxing is less of an art, it merely avoids the issue.

Boxers have superior body mechanics, and a huge conditoning advantage. Personally, dealing with boxing is *the* hardest thing I've ever had to do. I have to force myself to stay in boxing range in order to improve my skills. It is *not* just brute force, a good boxer is at *least* as artful as a fighter of any other style.

Let's also not forget that filipino panantukan and pangamot are *very* closely related to boxing...

16. Yukimushu

Yukimushu MMA addict

Krazy5051, step into a ring or onto a mat with a boxing effectiant martial artist, and watch as your opinion changes, slip by slip, punch by punch.

Mine sure did!

17. Timmy Boy

Timmy Boy Man on a Mission

I love imagination, don't you? I mean, if you can visualise getting through the inevitable barrage of punches and doing al these moves that easily, you MUST be able to in real life!

18. Krazy5051

Krazy5051 Valued Member

Greetings,

Even a wise man like you Yoda can be surprised sometimes... dangerous. ;)

As for the rest of your replies, I'm in a position where I can make comments like I have. Been there, done it, proven myself right and others wrong. It has got to a point where I read posts like all of you are making and think is there any development being made in your MA capability/knowledge?

I am still here with my confidence and my personal ego which goes unbroken. :rolleyes:

Don't be fooled though, you may think I am outspoken, bold and ignorant. To the naked eye I am the opposite but life experiences have made every loud-mouthed, arrogant, in your face egomaniac who has dropped to the floor in front of me boost the confidence of my own training, my own art and my own ability and skill. If only the rest of you were as cofident you would maybe have more success.

Knowledge dispells fear, you people lack it and are engulfed by the latter.

Yours in martial arts,

Kid

19. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

*Shakes head at MORE utter nonsense.

THAT bit made sense though :Angel:

20. Ressla

Ressla Valued Member

I love it when somebody implies that they are "intelligent" , but appears not to understand the difference between "TO" and "TOO", even when they have gone back and edited their post.

Cheap shot to point out someone's typos ,I know, but this troll deserves it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.