Is Boxing a Martial Art?

Discussion in 'Boxing' started by Dirk Dagger, Feb 5, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Yeah, I get what you're saying. And as an opinion, it's fine. It's just that a lot of people (myself included) are going to see boxing as "painting with vibrant colours."

Opinions vary though. :)

2. KungFuMaster

KungFuMaster New Member

Yeah actually, since I've never tried it, I don't know what I'm talking about, I think its up to the boxer to whether he treats it as an art or a sport, just like in tkd, ITF or WTF :)

3. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

That's pretty much how I feel about it, yeah.

4. shootodog

shootodog restless native

well my friend, an opinion is good. a shared opinion can be debated.

a long long time ago, when the world was young and it was safe to drink from the faucet here in manila, i had the good fortune of being invited to cross train with the white crane kung fu boys. the lao shir was very open about a lot of things. he said something like:

on the celestial throne where the lord of ten thousand years, son of heaven and master of all things under heaven sit, there beside him are two white cranes. they guard the emperor from all who wish him harm.

remember, we come from those who have protected the lord of ten thousand years. we fight by all means necessary to keep him safe. in the end, that is what we are all about.

it stuck to me. it means that, in spite of all the color and flash, the end was simple: to fight, to defend by all means necessary.

boxing is a martial (fighting) art (system/ style/ process applied at the discretion of the user) as much as the others.

Last edited: May 14, 2004
  5. Developing

Developing Valued Member

Response

I leave this post to whoever is interested. I have read all of the available messages concerning the topic: is boxing a martial arts? And I was educated by some of the stuff I read. I think there needs to be some clarification on exactly what is being asked here. Some have chosen to give their opinion on the definition of what "martial arts" is, while many others have debated on whether or not boxing is a more effective than disciplines that are considered traditional martial arts. Whether or not boxing is more effective is does not answer the question of whether or not it is a martial arts. The definition I have in my Webster's New World Dictionary is that martial arts are systems of self defense developed in the Orient such as Kung Fu or Karate. By this definition boxing is not a martial arts. But considering that this definition is incomplete it is not valid. Which brings me to my final point (I hope I haven't bored anyone) in my opinion martial arts is a system of discipline that a man or woman can undergo which will help them develop into a more complete person. Becoming a better fighter does add something to someone. Some arts focus more on physical aspects of training than spiritual, this does not mean they are not martial arts. Boxing is a martial arts in the sense that it conditions someone to defend themselves very effectively. Whether or not boxing is more effective than other more recognized martial arts is a debate for another day. I would say that the individual who trains the hardest in whatever discipline in the majority of situations will be the most effective practitioner.

6. Guy Mendiola

Guy Mendiola New Member

Boxing is a Martial Art which you can take up to defend yourself like any other martial art.

7. Nimrook

Nimrook New Member

The "sweet science" of boxing is played out like a chess match, except you if you screw up you get hurt. it's like any other form of martial art, it has it's strengths and weaknesses. for example, absolutely no other style in the world has the punching abilities of boxing, weaknesses, not very effective in mma if that is all you have

8. Knight_Errant

Knight_Errant Banned Banned

Sports used for fighting are, By definition, martial arts.
    And, of course, what you term 'art' is always up for questioning. Could it be regarded as a form of conceptual art using living humans as a medium, based around the themes of combat? using rythm, timing, distance and guts instead of brush strokes?
    For me anyway, martial arts, and life, is not about figures and diagrams. it's about feelings and gut instinct. These are subjects fit for art.

9. Kenpo Kicker

Kenpo Kicker New Member

Well I have cross-trained with some boxing (in my kickboxing) and wrestling way back (from 5th-9th grade) and they both feel like martial arts to me. In our kickboxing class we often box. Oh btw, I also consider kickboxing a martial art. They are just not labeled that way because of different backrounds I guess or the general public does not understand what martial arts is. I do not think these practitioners even care to have it called a martial art and why would they.

10. JKogas

JKogas Valued Member

Some people still see boxing as purely a "sport", rather than seeing it as a delivery system/art. Boxing, as a delivery system, can be added to whatever OTHER form of martial art that one is studying (BJJ, for example) and, you end with becoming a more efficient fighter. It doesn't necessarily mean that you have to be a ring fighter.

As you tend to fight when using this delivery system, I'd definitely say that boxing is a martial art. And, who says boxers can't be spiritual? That just depends on the person doing the boxing, and what he/she is looking for. I know quite a few traditional martial artists who aren't anywhere NEAR being spiritual. THAT really comes down to the individuals and what they're looking for.

11. Knight_Errant

Spirituality has nothing to do with it. You want spirituality? go to church, or worship your ancestors or whatever. The thing in question is ART.

12. JKogas

JKogas Valued Member

My point exactly!

13. K93200

K93200 Banned Banned

why not? I take it and it has helped my mind and my body just as much as karate, sure i'd call it that

14. C-Fugazi

C-Fugazi New Member

Psst..boxing is classed as a sport and not a martial art.You need a licence to box if your proffesional and that licence can be taken away if you use your fists anywhere but a boxing ring.I'm not sure if you need a licence for Ju Jitsu or any other martial art.

15. senseisknowing

senseisknowing New Member

Boxing is a martial art

Here's a question to C-Fugazi. Could you apply boxing in a situation where you needed to defend yourself? I can train to box and not get a licence. Boxing is the art of the fists. I was in a Tae Kwan Do tournament about a year and a half ago. In my TKD classes all we learned was straight punches. When I fought in the tournament I used hooks to the body like I learned in boxing and my opponents didn't know what to do.
    There's also no training harder than real boxing training and anybody who questions that can come and train with me for two months.

16. cybermonk

cybermonk New Member

I am going to address the main point in a bit, but first I wanted to address this line which sounded a bit out of line for me. Although I am not particularly fond of TKD I think your opponent not knowing what to do is simply bad training, im sure all martial arts have sidestepping, retreating, forcing, etc as a part of their syllabus.

Secondly, no training harder than real boxing training? Have you tried iron monkey? Where part of the training requires the practitioner to jump and land on his/hers shoulder/knees/elbows etc? Have you tried golden bell(thanks for correcting this Xuande)? I can think of a lot of things which are harder than boxing training.

Now to the main question of the post: I believe boxing is a martial art and a very effective one at that, although as many other martial arts its effectiveness has been diminished by it becomming a sport it can still be used very well in a hostile situation. Its not complete-true but neither is aikido or judo and they are both considered martial arts. However, I am not one to think that boxers are better or worse than traditional martial artists, it all depends on the person and who is better prepared mentally. I agree with those who said that a boxer can become a very effective street fighter after only a few months of training but I am also one to hold the oppinion that a person who has been boxing for 30 years would be a less effective fighter than a person who has been doing a traditional, non-sportive martial art for the same ammount of time. In the end I dont understimate nor overstimate boxers or anyone for that matter, the enemy will be the same no matter what you think of him so why waste the time making up your own picture of him?

17. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

Psst... It's ok to be both :rolleyes:

18. C-Fugazi

C-Fugazi New Member

19. nunchukpaul

nunchukpaul Banned Banned

20. Knight_Errant

Actually, I'd argue, that by definition, every martial art is a sport designed for fighting- I've seen 'non sport' material, and never been impressed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.