Is Boxing a Martial Art?

Discussion in 'Boxing' started by Dirk Dagger, Feb 5, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

What part are you having trouble understanding? Boxing IS a martial art. No better, no worse than most others. maybe they don't like it - ever think of that? I don't enjoy wu-shu, but I respect the skill level of the performers. Open your mind - there is more out there when you do.

2. toothpaste100

toothpaste100 Banned In 60 Seconds

From the Oxford Paperback Dictionary:

martial (mar-shăl) adjective of war, warlike

art any practical skill, a knack; the art of sailing

"Traditional Martial Arts" don't teach you how to fight in a realistic warzone, does that mean it is not a martial art? Tai Ji Quan, TKD or Karate would not teach you how to drive an appache or fire an assault rifle and boxing wouldn't either, but they are all practical and involve training to defend yourself and hurt others, so I'll say TMA are martial arts if you will say boxing is too :D

Last edited: Feb 12, 2004
  3. Timmy Boy

Timmy Boy Man on a Mission

I make a distinction between boxing and "martial arts" only to make my argument more clear - my opinion on the issue is that boxing IS a martial art. I am not closed minded. I just don't get why so many people are saying boxing is better than other martial arts when THEY DO other martial arts. I'm not the first one to make the comparison, I'm questioning a comparison already made by others.

4. Timmy Boy

Timmy Boy Man on a Mission

To demonstrate my point, if I thought I'd be a more effective fighter if I studied boxing as opposed to tang sou dao, then why would I do tang sou dao?

5. shootodog

shootodog restless native

why would anybody crosstrain? the answer is simple: to be well rouded. to be ready for where the fight takes you.

6. Dirk Dagger

Dirk Dagger I Love Kelly Hu

I wouldn't make that bet. But he sure packs a very powerful wallop. That Barera guys really took the beating of his life. If you observe the way he punches, where he gets the leverage from those punches, it's quite similar how a Karateka punches. From the hips! Cool huh?

Hey, I'm not implying anything.

7. Lanakin

Lanakin It's all about discipline

Well.. Here's my mere argument..

A martial art= A martial art = a martial art!

Do you see a pattern here!?
    Boxing is a martial arts BECAUSE it is a specific form of FIGHTING that is PRACTICED as an ART. If boxing isn't an MA, what would you call it?

And please.. Let's not have arguments inside of arguments here..

:woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo:

8. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

I don't know enough about Manny to know for sure. But his footwork resembles the triangular patterns I was taught. And the effect of filipino fighters on boxing is relatively well documented. Mostly "Lucky" Lucaylucay if memory serves.

I think if you could freeze frame many boxers, you'd see something resembling a front (or bow and arrow) stance as they land the cross.

9. Guy Mendiola

Guy Mendiola New Member

Boxing Indeed is a Martial Art but it's just that in the boxing curriculam they only punch but learn how to bob,weave, and slip and those are some key factors in Boxing but all of those asian arts and others have kick strikes.

10. nicolo

nicolo Valued Member

Well when you say martial art, most people think of the Asian variety because that's been so dominant in terms of unarmed combat. Boxing is DEFINITELY a martial art. Compared to other hand techniques, boxing still reigns supreme in terms of simplicity, technique and effectiveness and it should be a cornerstone in your foundation no matter what you study.

11. Dirk Dagger

Dirk Dagger I Love Kelly Hu

Yeah, I guess it's a Filipino Boxers' Trademark.

12. Linguo

Linguo Valued Member

Quality not quantity.

Is Muay Thai any less of a martial art because it might have fewer techniques than BJJ/JJJ? While it's true that boxing has a limited set of techniques, they can be devastating ones, especially if performed by a well-trained and conditioned fighter.

To answer the question, yes, I think boxing is a martial art. The reasons why have been repeated several times over the course of this thread: footwork, strategy, training methods, blocking, parrying, positioning and so forth. I think many martial artists who dismiss boxing, ignore so many great characterisitcs that could augment their skills as a fighter.

And I'd hate to get into a fight with someone who knows how to throw good jabs.

13. Guy Mendiola

Guy Mendiola New Member

Majority of the kids in my school is mostly Boxers ot train in Boxing but I think i'm the only one that does Tae Kwon Do in my school and the others can't fight or even learn how to defend themselves in a real life street situation. :)

14. Kenpo Kicker

Kenpo Kicker New Member

boxing is considered a sport. Does it matter if it is considered a ma? It's good for maist to train in or anyone imo. Kickboxing, and muay thai are also considered sports. They are all good for training in along with any ma really. I supose anything without a kata/patter/form or belts/sashes is not considered ma /shrug. I don't think it matters. I wouldn't mind recognizing these sports as ma.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2004
  15. blessed_samurai

blessed_samurai Valued Member

So, if boxing added kata and wore a sash, it'd be a martial art then? Boxing has certain drills that are a pre-set series of movements...that sounds a lot like kata to me, just a variation. And the last time I checked, boxers get to wear belts...at least the competing ones do, if they happen to win. I mean, here's two guys slugging it out over a belt and a purse...all I'm gonna say is that belt and purse better match.

Also, if by putting on a belt and doing kata, makes the training a martial art, does that mean if I don't wear my belt that day in class and I don't do kata that day in class I am not practicing martial arts? Similarly, does that mean once I stop doing kata and I take off my belt, I cease to be a martial artist?

16. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

I don't do kata and I don't wear a belt - guess I'm not a martial artist after all.

17. Cain

Cain New Member

Yeesh! Does'nt matter weher boxing is a martial art or not, all that matters is that it's got some great hand techs and footwork combined with good dodging techs. And that you will learn a hell of a lot in it.

I usually sigh when people argue over definitions.....

|Cain|

18. Andy Murray

Andy Murray Sadly passed away. Rest In Peace.

Ooh, you fibber. :p

I've seen you do both. ;)

19. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

In the past yes - maybe. As recent as last spring even.

You won't again.

20. shootodog

shootodog restless native

omg! neither am i!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.