Is boxfit worth doing?

Discussion in 'Boxing' started by Maryreade1234, Oct 6, 2019.

1. Maryreade1234

Maryreade1234 Member

Hello so I mainly train MMA at crossface when im in london. However I sometimes go to bristol and in bristol there is a cheap boxing gym (35/mo).

They offer technique and proper boxing classes. Which im thinking of going to, however they also offer boxfit all through the day.

When I train mma I like to chain classes one after another, eg sometimes ill do mma straight after csw, Muay thai straight after bjj. 3 hour sessions.

Would chaining technique or proper boxing after boxfit be worth doing or is boxfit a waste of time for someone who wants to fight as an anatuer eventually. Id be doing 3 hour sessions like when im in london but some of it would be boxfit.

I know I could sign up to the MMA gym in bristol but don’t really wanna spend nearly £200 a month on 2 subscriptions when the boxing gym is a lot cheaper. Also my mma gym is very grappling and kick based, would be nice to work specifically on my punching.

Grond likes this.
  2. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

I'm a little confused by your question. Are you asking if having a subscription to a boxing gym would be good? Or do you mean boxing fitness classes specifically or...?

Grond likes this.
  3. Maryreade1234

Maryreade1234 Member

There is a boxing gym. They do subscription for £35 a month. Some of the classes are “boxfit” some are amateur boxing or technical boxing classes.

The subscription includes both fitness and non fitness.

My question is are the boxing fitness classes any use? In addition to the main classes?

Bristol Boxing Gym Timetable

Grond likes this.
  4. Grond

Grond Valued Member

So I'm someone who nowadays does more "boxfit" training than I used to, solely for maintenance. Here in the states we often use the term "boxercise" but it sounds similar. Cardio kickboxing is a related thing, and here in the US you can find all sorts of franchises that offer these to people as an alternative to actually boxing.

For someone training to fight, as long as you're also doing actual boxing training, I don't see any problem doing both. What's more important is to make sure that you're not just boxercising, which sometimes happens. Untrained people can't spot the difference, sign up for boxercise, and do what they think is the real deal ( it isn't) and then try real boxing and get a wake up call within the first round.

5. Pretty In Pink

Yeah, I call it boxercise too. I'd say it's good exercise. Personally I find it can be dull but it depends on how motivated you are. You seem very motivated. I'm sure you'd get a lot out of it.

Grond likes this.
  6. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

A lot of boxing gyms do boxfit in the side it's a good money maker, but generally aimed at mom's and dad's who aren't very fit, but that's a massive generalisation.

I'd personally rather be fresh for the technical coached classes and sparring, But YMMV.

If you want to do boxing do boxing, but if your only doing it now and again, you'd be better of using the time your in Bristol to either deload and rest, or work on your fitness in a fitness gym.

I've seen a lot of people take up combat sports, start doing it 15 plus hours a week for a few months, and then give up due to injuries / being burnt out.

Side note: does crossface MMA have any gyms with the same lineage in Bristol, if so they may let your train for free or just PAYG when your there.

Monkey_Magic and Grond like this.
  7. Pretty In Pink

Or even a few years. Very few make it at the technical level of purple belt. Most people in the 8 years of consistent training I've done have burnt out and stopped. Out of the countless amounts of people who started at the same time as me there is maybe 5 people who stuck it out. I know one guy who trains once or twice a week and he's still a white belt but he hasn't quit.

There have been multiple acquaintances of mine from high school who heard about me fighting, trained for 6 months, fought, lost, never trained again. Most of them even have the gall to say they used to train when in reality they never put the work in.

Martial arts is a life long pursuit or at least if it's done correctly you have the minimum skills available to defend yourself. I know If I never train a day in my life from now until whenever I still have the skillls to beat an average sized male without the experience I do.

Grond and Dead_pool like this.
  8. hewho

hewho Valued Member

As long as the people teaching it stress good technique there's nothing wrong with it. Decent way of improving your fitness as long as (as the others have said) you're able to recover well enough for your 'proper' sessions :)

Grond and Dead_pool like this.
  9. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

Who teaches the boxfit class? There's going to be a big difference on the potential of what you can get out of them if it's a seasoned amateur or professional boxer, not so much if it's some numpty with a personal training degree.

If you just focus on the technical boxing skills for a few months to where you get a grasp on the basic punches, footwork, and defensive techniques, it wont matter who teaches the boxercise class. The class will just become a structured format to work on your skillset with the additional benefit of conditioning.

The boxercise classes are probably going to be geared to people having a big interest in getting in shape, and a secondary interest in learning to box. The gym I went to ran a class that was basically 3/4 boxercise, 1/4 technical training. I was in far better shape than anyone there for the boxercise, but I would do classes here and there. When they did planks, I did harder plank variations. When they did burpees, I did burpees with pushups and a jump. Bagwork and rope work were also way more intense compared to the general pop. of the class.

Overall, depending on who is teaching the classes and if you gain a grasp on the basics, it'll be an overall benefit for sure. Even just the conditioning for something like boxing, as I'm sure you know from muay thai, is completely different than grappling so it's always good to be working on that type of conditioning.

hewho and Pretty In Pink like this.
  10. hewho

hewho Valued Member

I take that very personally!! :D

@Ero-Sennin is right though, sometimes something like that is just a good revenue source for a gym, so they'll pop anyone who has done a weekend (or even online) course in pad holding on it! If you know what you're doing, it's a decent supplement to proper sessions

Grond and Mushroom like this.
  11. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

Them dodgy PTs are everywhere..

Grond and hewho like this.
  12. Pretty In Pink

I used to work in a sports retail store. I got quote a few guys come in who would buy gloves and pads and I'd ask where they were training and they'd be like "away, nah, it's just for a client".

Like do you even know how to hold them properly?

Grond and hewho like this.
  13. hewho

hewho Valued Member

I've seen some appalling padholding in the leisure industry, it's even worse when they let class goers pad for each other! My two favourites are 'backwards hand uppercut' and the surprisingly common response to a '1-2' command 'Super Double Punch!'

Grond likes this.
  14. Mushroom

There's a person I know. Unfortunately although probably a good PT, looks like they need a PT themselves. Then called me up, asking to do some padwork.

So I'm like...yeah. Any excuse. Turns out it was Boxercise where I would hold the pad up for a jab...but end up with a chain punching scenario.

No Boxing tech at all...just arm flailing.

Grond likes this.
  15. Grond

Grond Valued Member

You want to talk about appalling, I have accidentally hurt some friends when they hold pads wrong, including long-time players. People get distracted, or tired, or lazy holding pads. Then I try to bite my tongue about why it's their own damn fault I tagged their head with a pad. I'm successful less often than I'd like. The most important job the pad holder has aside from helping their partner is not getting KO'd. Hold those pads away from your face!

16. Mushroom

There was that FB video ages ago...you see some terrible padholding , spinning elbows and knees, all done in a park. It could be a mate helping another mate and they thought "yeh I can borrow some gloves". Or its someone who'se getting paid £20 a session. Irks me.

Grond likes this.