Is 5G Harmful?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Pretty In Pink, Jun 14, 2019.

1. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Mushroom and pgsmith like this.
  2. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

Yeah the "horn" I thought it was just kinda like when people have earlobes or not.

I have seen teenagers tho, who have an elongated neck from literally phone over use and theyre not actually hunched over. Just...chin to chest.
    I keep thinking how the "can opener" would work om them :)

axelb and Dead_pool like this.
  3. Dead_pool

axelb likes this.
  4. Grond

Grond Valued Member

This is a sort of shady way to beat China in the tech trade war. This just allows US companies to sell to and license with Huawei. But they are still blacklisted for purchasing. There is a reason China steals so much US technology. They are not capable of creating it themselves and importing it has been expensive. So now it will be a little cheaper, maybe cheap enough where they will have more incentive to buy than to spy.

5. Mushroom

Thats cos all the tech students run off to America, Canada and Australia mostly (I think theres also a link to South Korea but not sure)
    So the American tech, also probably done by Chinese kids. China still produces some good looking consumer tech (weird as it sounds) in house but in generalisation, wont be suprised if they had a lot of red tape to go through.

Bare in mind their use of it as well. Wechat is crazy over there. Over in the west its a message system with a little bit of social media.

Over there its a full on OS and they were using Q codes for everything before Apple/Samsung pay was a thing. As well as going further more into a cashless society ahead of everyone else.

I asked about the whole Gov spy thing when I was over. And they really dont care.

6. Grond

Grond Valued Member

I'm not going to get too political, but I'll say this one thing. It takes a long, long time to come out from hiding from Communist death squad purges. The US has not suffered that sort of thing, ever, hence the progress in technology we've made since the end of World War II. That said, if China were really a capitalist nation rather than a Communist one trying to act like a capitalist nation, I think the world would much a much grander place.

I love everything about China except its government. Society just can't progress very far under a dictatorship, or any authoritarian regime, because in those places your value to society is reduced to a number, a tag, a designation, a role, a job, a skill, a name.

The Internet was invented in the United States, that's a fact, and it was invented by free love, dope smoking hippies in California with math skills. also a fact. If you doubt that, read "The Soul of a New Machine", Tracy Kidder's Pulitzer winner. Even if "The Man" builds a thinking machine, the little guy with long locks and a dream can build one better, faster, and stronger. Believe it, Steve Jobs made it a reality :D

Dead_pool likes this.
  7. Mushroom

I'm not doubting anything and I agree with you for the most part. Hence the line "Tech students left China went to the West" so I'll elaborate that line...they went to the West (and Australia) to be freely able to create tech as they fear what you're saying above.
    The big old red thumb.

:confused:

I'll stop there as well, as I keep writing and deleting stuff thats getting a bit Political.

Grond and Dead_pool like this.
  8. Dead_pool

axelb likes this.
  9. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

How did you find that out? Is there some sort of network or something you can use to find things out?

Grond likes this.
  10. Mushroom

/laughs in Al Gore

11. Mushroom

Here's a quick little docu on WeChat from a few years ago...

Notice how for it to work, you're not going to have any privacy (really)

Grond and axelb like this.
  12. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

that is an eye opener, I wasn't familiar with WeChat. I can see how other companies are trying to integrate some of those features.

13. Mushroom

Facebook Apple and Instagram have been trying to, but because of privacy restrictions it doesnt work as well.
    WeChat pay was around way longer before Apple pay.

Also in China, a lot of restaurants work on their Q Code (square looking barcode).
    So you go in, scan the code and it automatically connects your phone to the restaurants wifi, menu pops up including advertising any special deals of the day and the option to order via your phone. The code tells the staff which table youre sitting at and then you can pay for it ahead of time. It can even split the bill.

In contrast, I will then walk out, avoid people who are spitting on the floor and watch out for cars running the red light as I cross the road. Lol

axelb likes this.
  14. Grond

Grond Valued Member

The Web isn't the Internet. It existed long before the World Wide Web. There used to be a dozen programs that did what web browsers do today. It just wasn't User Friendly as the saying goes, you had to find the right tool for the right Internet service (like Newsgroups, which was where you went for general info on subjects before the WWW). The WWW is really just one service that kind of exploded because it made looking up information a lot easier, by linking documents together and viewing them using just one tool. And that was years and years before companies like Google came up with the awesome idea to start scanning and tracking web pages.

The Internet as a whole platform (including all the basic technology protocls) was created by the US Government (DARPA, to be specific), in alignment with several American universities and corporations. From: Internet - Wikipedia,

"The origins of the Internet date back to research commissioned by the federal government of the United States in the 1960s to build robust, fault-tolerant communication with computer networks.[1] The primary precursor network, the ARPANET, initially served as a backbone for interconnection of regional academic and military networks in the 1980s. The funding of the National Science Foundation Network as a new backbone in the 1980s, as well as private funding for other commercial extensions, led to worldwide participation in the development of new networking technologies, and the merger of many networks.[2] The linking of commercial networks and enterprises by the early 1990s marked the beginning of the transition to the modern Internet,[3] and generated a sustained exponential growth as generations of institutional, personal, and mobile computers were connected to the network. Although the Internet was widely used by academia since the 1980s, commercialization incorporated its services and technologies into virtually every aspect of modern life. "

Last edited: Jul 1, 2019
  15. Grond

Grond Valued Member

Yeah sorry I hate to get into politics but the one area I don't mind it is discussing Communist oppression. It's funny because if you (and I'm sure you have Mushroom) read about the atrocities that followed the so-called "Cultural Revolution", a great deal of art, creativity, and imagination was quite literally trampled into blood and dust. Religion, art, and even scientific inquiry all had to be squashed by the new government so that everyone would fall in line and there could be no outliers. It's one of the saddest modern histories I think I've ever read. Even martial arts, which existed in China for centuries prior, were eviscerated by the Communist regime.

Pacification is a two sided word, right? It's literal meaning is to make peace, but in the People's Republic it means quelling human emotion and thought until you are a cog. So I applaud those who leave China and come to democratic nations to learn and bring BACK that leaning to the mother country, because boy She needs it more than ever going into the future. In my humble opinion, it's China's only hope for real freedoms of the kind we enjoy (and often take for granted) in the "West". When you think about Wireless communications and how it could break apart autocracies, this is the ticket for the Chinese. The government can block information sent over the wire, but they can't control radio waves. Only the gods and RF engineers can do that ;)

Mushroom likes this.
  16. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

ARPNET was created in the states and was part of the prototype along with SATNET which was largely UK and Norway.

It's not clear cut to say it was the US, this project was part of the birth if the internet, which wasn't international until the internet protocol was developed which was a cumulative effort between the countries.

Even the US company's that worked on the protocol internet research had offices outside of the US, so it's very naive to give the US total credit.

But aside from that, Sir Tim Berness Lee of the United Kingdoms, the WWW which made the internet much more accessible and popular :D:cool:

The country that also brought you earl grey tea, chicken tikka masala, baked potatoes, and jungle music.

17. Grond

Grond Valued Member

It's pretty clear cut that the Internet Protocol (IP) was invented by Vint Cerf and Bob Kahn, in 1974, hence "creation". Later both men also invented TCP, which is what Sir Timothy built the Web on top of. What I think you guys are talking about its later evolution and spread to to Europe and beyond, which of course involved the rest of the world's contributions over a spa n of decades. Like the Matrix, the protocol and the Internet itself has been created 6 times. Most importantly, most of the Internet is not even on the Web. The vast majority of it is termed "dark", including the "dark web". For reference, there are no European authors on this IEEE paper. But of course, this one paper spawned over a thousand excellent papers from across the globe that gave us the Internet of 2019! I'm studying for my Network+ right now so a lot of this material is fresh in my head.

Vinton G. Cerf, Robert E. Kahn, "A Protocol for Packet Network Intercommunication", IEEE Transactions on Communications, Vol. 22, No. 5, May 1974 pp. 637–648

18. Grond

Grond Valued Member

This is like that old myth that Guglielmo Marconi invented radio, when in fact there is a registered US patent decades before his work documenting a theory that electricity ran through the air and could be used to create a telegraphy system. Months later, another US patent proposed a working system of wireless telegraph but without specifics. Almost 30 years later, Marconi would actually use these ideas to create his 1901 patent for a working wireless telegraph: Fahie: Appendix E (1901). The reality is that the birth and evolution are not really the same thing, as is the case with the Internet or for that matter, 5G. I am old enough to remember exactly what "1G" was :D We could never have gotten 5 generations in, or 6 version of Internet in, without the global community of research!!!

Please don't think I intended to make this a silly "America First" chest pounding exercise.

axelb likes this.
  19. Dead_pool

So where does WAP fit into the G scheme?

20. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

American technology boomed post war in all sorts of ways.

One significant way was the rapid advance in rocket technology which led to the space race.

That rapid advance was, of course, led by German rocket scientists shipped in from that now defunct totalitarian regime :D

axelb, Grond and Dead_pool like this.