Is 5G Harmful?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Pretty In Pink, Jun 14, 2019.

1. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

It's been all over my facebook recently. Few conspiracy theorists that I know wouldn't believe the sky was blue even if they saw it themselves.

5G I would imagine is just harmless radio waves like everything else, no? I've seen a few things and I'm like "I'm pretty sure physics doesn't work like that".

So just wondering if anyone has unbiased sources over 5G.

2. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

5G health risks are the the internet's new favourite conspiracy theory | WIRED UK

pgsmith, Dead_pool and Pretty In Pink like this.
  3. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

It's russian propaganda,

5G - Wikipedia

"in 2018, RT America, a propaganda outlet for the Russian government,[75][76][77] began airing programming linking 5G to harmful health effects without scientific support. Attempts to damage 5G's reputation increased in 2019. Several RT stories have warned of health impacts such as "brain cancer, infertility, autism, heart tumors and Alzheimer’s disease" and have spread to hundreds of blogs and websites.[78] Meanwhile, Russian president Vladimir Putin ordered the launch of Russian 5G network in February 2019. Ryan Fox, an executive of a technology firm that tracks disinformation, said, “Russia doesn’t have a good 5G play, so it tries to undermine and discredit ours.” Molly McKew, the head a U.S.-based firm that seeks to counter Russian disinformation, said the Russian government “would really enjoy getting democratic governments tied up in fights over 5G’s environmental and health hazards.”"

David Harrison likes this.
  4. Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng All weight is underside

Well, other than the impotency issue and the whole causing your brain to implode thing..... it is not a problem at all :D

Harmful how?

Physically, likely no more harmful that 3G and 4G.
    Security wise, based on one of the main providers (Huawei) potentially.

pgsmith and axelb like this.
  5. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

Seems to me that China having my information is less of a risk to me than my own government having it.

pgsmith likes this.
  6. Dead_pool

The huwawawai, thing is just trump trying to damage China too, so it's really not worth taking that seriously.

7. Xue Sheng

Speaking as an IT professional that also works in IT security, I don't care about your information, and neither do the Chinese, depending on whou you work for. It is corporate/enterprise and government information that is the concern

Actually no, not a Trump thing, he's just capitalizing and politicizing it. Again with the IT security hat on, looking at enterprise level and government level, and knowing all business in China are ultimately controlled, and or owned, in one way or another by the government. And looking at China's history of of technological theft. Like I said, It might be an issue.

pgsmith and axelb like this.
  8. Dead_pool

I get not letting them work on national security, but banning them from the country and banning them from using android, seems a tad overkill.

How long do you think it'll be before trump caves in?

9. Xue Sheng

Another concern is stealing tech from US companies, but agreed, it is a tad bit overkill

10. CrowZer0

CrowZer0 Assume formlessness.

Not sure what all the conspiracies are based on or what would be considered "harmful" but WiFi, 3g and 4g all have harmful effects on brainwaves and peoples sleep.

11. Dead_pool

Got any science to back that up?

pgsmith likes this.
  12. Dead_pool

13. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

axelb and Dead_pool like this.
  14. Xue Sheng

15. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Mitch and axelb like this.
  16. Dead_pool

Boss town dynamics!

What a company!

I watched this yesterday, and thought something was a little off...... And then they started shooting it, and thought, yea the company name is wrong!

Haha!

17. Dead_pool

18. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

I say Wi-Fi and 4g are harmful....as I sit commenting with a Wi-Fi and 4g enabled phone in my hand. Lol.

Dead_pool likes this.
  19. pgsmith

pgsmith Valued dismemberer

That's more of a click bait headline than anything else. The company is a UK company whose parent company is Chinese owned, and they only produce bare PCBs. It's the electronics equivalent of getting worried that the wire in your cable is made with Chinese copper. :)
    Still and all though, Lockheed will probably get fined for it as it's standard industry practice to vet all of your subcontractors.

Dead_pool likes this.
  20. Grond

Grond Valued Member

Anyone here ever hear of Betteridge's Law? I think it applies to things like this. We live in the tabloid news era of course, so anything new is fresh meat. Technology is scary! Meanwhile I probably have a lot more to fear from my love of BBQ than anything my phone is capable of.

Dead_pool and pgsmith like this.