Is 5 foot 7 too short for Sport Tkd??

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by SoTkd, Jan 19, 2017.

1. SoTkd

SoTkd New Member

Every time I compete. I have to spar people taller than me. I am only average height .. 5 foot 7. Can I go far competing in Tkd ?

2. Guitar Nado

Guitar Nado Valued Member

I am 5' 8" I suggest to use the angles. Move to 45% or 90 % angle and attack. Don't try to go straight in - against a taller person you will lose. I try to use the fastest and most reliable methods of attack. use fast strikes, move fast, use angles.

Of course to be honest I don't do TKD - only karate and Muay Thai, but I suspects the methods I mention above will be useful.

3. liero

liero Valued Member

How old are you?
    What's your weight division?
    There's a lot of successful fighters who are short, just that the scoring system currently favours the tall lanky fighters at the moment.
    2 point body kicks which have just been introduced will help you I imagine.
    As with most striking arts, you have to adapt your style of fighting to your attributes against your opponents. You might be shorter, but you can be faster, more agile, more powerful, more technical, etc.

4. SoTkd

SoTkd New Member

I'm -63kg trying to drop my weight class to -59kg. I'm 17 years old and still competing in junior division. I'm starting the senior division next year. Yeah I believe body shots are still 2 points but when I'm facing guys with long legs I have problems because their cut kicks are long.

5. gapjumper

gapjumper Intentionally left blank

Not if you are fighting hobbits. :)

6. SoTkd

SoTkd New Member

What do you mean

7. Earl Weiss

Earl Weiss Valued Member

Most sparring rules favor fighters with greater reach. More so where there are no Kicks allowed below the waist. Even more so where no punches to the head are allowed. This does not mean you can't do well. However, at the upper echelons you will find people freakishly tall = long reach for their weight

8. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Not at all. I'm a little over 5'3 and I've had success in sport TKD and karate in the 58-64 kg weight range. I made up for my short stature by focusing on flexibility and being able to kick opponents in the head from clinching range.