Is £30 per hour expensive for private WC tuition?

Discussion in 'Kung Fu' started by Rakim, Feb 25, 2007.

1. Rakim

Rakim Valued Member

I can't go to a weekly class because of my shift pattern, but I inquired as to how much private sessions were and the instructor said it was £30 per hour, at his home which is properly kitted out with the wooden dummy, matted floor etc. Here's a link to the instructor's details (Steve Hazell). I need a little advice and I thought you guys might be able to help. Thanks in advance. :)

http://www.kentwingchun.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/instructors.htm

2. forever young

forever young Valued Member

yes especially from him!!!! who does he think he is with those prices Yip man?

3. cowzerp

cowzerp Valued Member

im a personal trainer and boxing coach and charge 20 pound a half hour for private boxing sessions-this is intensive, but thats normal personal training rates-is he a personal trainer? i doubt it, most kung fu teachers are screwing there students for training that is questionable at best-hope this helps

4. Rakim

Rakim Valued Member

Thanks a lot for your input lads, I'll let him know that unless he can do me a deal with the prices, I won't bother having private tuition. I suppose I could just go along to the normal lessons whenever I'm off work. There's just nowhere else close to me that teaches WC :bang:

5. prowla

prowla Valued Member

I guess there are two sides to it...
    Student perspective: If you train in a class for an hour for £5 (eg.), then is an hour's private tuition for £30 going to be 6 times better?
    Instructor's perspective: £30 for an hour of their time, including provision of facilities, and probably stretching out to an extra half hour for hellos, goodbyes and questions. Doesn't seem a lot, really.
    So I'd say it seems a lot, but it isn't a rip-off.

6. Rakim

Rakim Valued Member

OK cheers prowla. I think it would definitely be worth seeing if I could do some kind of package deal with him, i.e. I guarantee to have 10 private lessons if he does the lot for 200-250 quid. Would it be worth attending the normal class a few times first? I've got no experience of Wing Chun and I wouldn't want to pay that sort of money only to find out that I'd rather do something else.

7. watts

watts Valued Member

Instucters from my Wing Chun organisation charge £20 per hour, which I think is reasonable. Sifu charges £30, which is steep, but he is a very good teacher. So it depends on the quality of tuition really, same with anything. But instead of spending loads, just pay a few quid and go to some lessons first would seem the most common sense way.

Classes have the advantage of you being able to test yourself aginst a variety of different people who have varying approaches.

8. koyo

koyo Passed away, but always remembered. RIP.

Any martial art takes time, many hours, to even begin to approach the basics. I would wait until I had a good foundation to work from before considering private classes.
    Personally I have little time for private classes. There is nothing I could show a student in a private class that cannot be shown in a regular (much cheaper) class.

regards koyo

9. Rakim

Rakim Valued Member

Thanks very much for your replies 'watts' and 'koyo'. As you say, the sensible thing is to attend the classes whenever I can, to get a feel for it and to have a foundation to build from. :)

10. Ciar2001

Ciar2001 New Member Supporter

my sifu charged £25 for a private lesson that is 2 hours long, the normal weekly lessons are intense, so i know full well i would get 2 hours of seriously intense training, i mean i probably wouldnt be walking talking after a private lesson :)

11. Gong_Sau_Rick

Gong_Sau_Rick ultimate WSL nutrider

Just from looking at the pictures I can tell you it's not good quality Wing Chun. Or at least not up to my personal standards... :D

12. Pinoro

Pinoro Valued Member

Of course, the private training is the best form of learning an art! But I don't think it's recommended if you are a beginner - you will feel that you advance too slow and that you throw money out the window. I think a few months in the class is better. Anyway, you should go for a few times to watch and to train with the others: maybe it doesn't suits you, maybe you don't like the teacher or the athmosphere.
    And...yes, I think 30 GBP it's too much ( 50 euros!!!!), especially after I've seen his videos. Since June 2006 I learn only private and I pay 20 euros for a training session ( 2,5 - 3 hours). Worths every cent!!

13. Fishbone.

Fishbone. Banned Banned

30 pounds an hour is a RIP off no matter who's teaching you. It's only Wing chun ffs.

No deal!

14. RobP

RobP Valued Member

Why is it a rip -off? How much do you pay for a session with a chiropractor, personal trainer, accountant, or similar professional? Even when I take my car in to the garage the labour charge is £25 per hour.

If the teaching is professional and good quality why shouldnt you pay the same rate? I know of people who charge a lot more, £150 an hour in some cases (for actually not very much).

cheers
    Rob

15. Fishbone.

Fishbone. Banned Banned

That's like $90 AUD an hour, I can't afford that type of money, Nor can my parents. I get 2 hour lessons of BJJ for $4 AUD lol. That's like £1.5

And there's only like 6 people in the group, total.

Great fun too ;)

16. tpyeon

tpyeon Valued Member

agree with the posts about it not being brilliant for beginners. my teacher flat refused to give private lessons to me until i had done enough in class.

regardless of this teachers ability....

why try and devalue your art? £30 pound an hour seems expensive but you are asking for your teacher to concentrate his/her years of knowledge only on one person.

i tutor science and charge £20 pound an hour. no one would ever think to ask for £5 an hour. the respect for years of work and education is acknowledged. why should this be any different?

buyer beware and all that, but if you want personal tuition from someone who has worked and sweated for their skills, for someone who has to make a living. expect to pay.

peace,

timo

17. 7thlevel

7thlevel Valued Member

Hi Rakim, as most people have said on here u should try some class lessons first, or at least watch a class so u can see the standard of the students. £30 an hour for private tutition in the UK isnt too over the top if the instructor is good, 10 years ago when i began wt i was paying £20 an hour, it aint cheap but ur takin up instructors personal time and as others hav said how much are services in general these days , £40+ for car mechanic labour per hour, sparky's, plumbers etc all similar rates.
    Anway besides all that u would do well to check out someother schools/instructors aswel since although theres a lot of wing chun out there theres very few good wing chun classes,
    look at that guy u mention ,steve hazels chi sau -

http://www.kentwingchun.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/video/sept06/Doug & Andy Chi Sau.3GP

now compare it too these guys with just 2 years practice !

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CuhArrQxUiU"]wing chun kung fu (chi sao) - YouTube[/ame]

And decide which seems more realistic?

reguards,
    7th

18. cowzerp

cowzerp Valued Member

Private tuitions are best for beginners as they can work on you before you pick up bad habits-if your brand new there is so much they can go through with you-i always prefer starting with beginners as they can see rapid progress-standards should be high though, dont pay for privates if the trainer is not good enough...

19. BlindClown

BlindClown tinit

erm no that is not expensive at all .

I think i pay this much for private tutution with sifu agar but it is well worth it , im not sure about your sifu though ,suppose u should know wether or not its worth it.

20. boards

boards Its all in the reflexes!

I agree, my tennis lessons from a full time coach are about $30 for 30-45 mins. My MA's lessons are $7 for 2 hours but then that is a sideline for my instructor not his full time job. I dont see a problem for that cost.