Iron Butterfly: Memoir of a female Kuk Sool Won master

Discussion in 'Kuk Sool' started by slipthejab, Jan 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

Attached Files:

2. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

3. unknown-KJN

unknown-KJN Banned Banned

I hafta say, that I'm not surprised in the least that this thread (as well as the one started by Geetarman which was cited by simon s in post #2) have gone belly-up. You see, people who are "in the know" and actually exposed more directly with the dealings of KSW (i.e. WKSA), are acutely aware of the fact that she (i.e. Mrs. master Harmon, 이춘옥) has been hawking her book for nearly a year already.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2012
  4. Osu,

It is unclear at this moment if you guys are recommending the book or not...
    Is it a good read?
    A window opened to some insights? :)

Or is it a no go?

Thanks

Osu!

5. Geetarman

Geetarman Valued Member

I have to say it's an interesting read more in terms of the life Master Harmon has had instead of an insight to KSW though there are some very good KSW sections.

I'm not hugely familiar with all of the WKSA "dealings", I enjoy the art, have great instructors, a fantastic set of fellow students and have only good things to say of my meetings with Kuk Sa Nim and various masters. I don't, however, see a problem with someone trying to promote a book over several years. It's an uphill battle selling books at the best of times but selling a book about a less well know martial art into the mainstream must be exceptionally difficult so any help given by an article like this can't be a bad thing.

My advice, buy the book and see for yourself, if you don't like it then sell it on.

6. unknown-KJN

I'm sorry if my post (#3) confused you, Old_kyokushin, but just so you know, my comment had nothing to do with the book itself (it's a very interesting story BTW, at least IMO). What I was trying to communicate, has to do with an *outsider* (namely, slipthejab) trying to start a thread in the Kuk Sool subforum, whose topic can be discussed at length. Noting a news release about a book (even if it IS a book authored by a kuk-sool practitioner) ought to go in the off-topic subforum, especially seeing as how the content of the book barely scrapes the surface of practicing this particular MA. It's more of an autobiography than anything else (FYI- the co-author was brought in mainly to help with Mrs. Harmon's english - she's fluent, but then WRITING is something completely different).

It's nothing like the thread which discussed her husband's book (I'd have linked it but using the search tool didn't work and the thread history only goes back 5 pages), as that book covered concepts quite common to TKMA. Although I hafta admit that his book hardly qualifies as a good example either, since that work didn't focus on kuk-sool in any sort of specific manner. But seeing as how there's no *generic* TKMA section in MAP, connecting the thread to the author's chosen affiliation makes some sense for his book, as it was about KMA history. I'm sorry but I don't see the same logic working for her book, which as I said is basically an autobiography.

I suspect the reason no sooler or wonnie cares to discuss her book, is because it's *release* is "old news" to them. For anyone connected to kuk-sool or KSW, they were most likely informed of the book's existence quite some time ago, and if they wanted to read it, they would've bought it already. That's all I was was trying to convey, without passing comment on the book itself. :bow1:

EDIT:

Osu! (just for YOUR benefit, Old_kyokushin — LOL)

7. slipthejab

Unknown JKN - get stuffed.

I could care less if you really think it's a topic that can be discussed at length. I could care less that you are whining that it should go in the Off Topic forum. Go cry a river. That I don't practice KSW wasn't the point... but that evaded you (obviously). The point was that it was interesting that KSW made the mainstream media so I thought I'd share it here with those who may not have seen it. I could give a rats ass if your silly elitist snot is ok with it or not.

8. Xanth

Xanth Valued Member

9. SsangKall

SsangKall Valued Member

dude you are intense!!!

10. Geetarman

Geetarman Valued Member

Hmmm and yet another example of a KSW thread that's gone a bit intense, why is it that everyone I've met in the 18+ months I've been in WKSA has been super chilled, friendly and a good laugh but every second post on MAP that's WKSA related seems to get a bit out of hand eventually?

Does this explain why it's alway quiet in here?

11. unknown-KJN

Nope, that links to an article. I could've sworn there was a thread discussing it, but maybe I'm mistaken (it wouldn't be the first time, hehe). No matter, I was merely gonna link it for the sake of niceties. But thanks for trying to help out. :bow1:

The thread history length must've been one of those things where the *default* got changed, after MAP got reconditioned several months back, and I just didn't notice. Sorta like the ability to totally delete a post (which is still possible BTW, it's just that now you gotta jump through a few hoops in order to get it done).

12. And way out of line IMHO! :(
    But hey, Mods set the tone of the whole space!

Thank you for thing the time to reply to my question Unknown-KJN & Geetarman :)

Osu!

13. Obewan

Obewan "Hillbilly Jedi"

The book is a great read actually, and is a very inspirational book for anyone, especially young women. It gives a vivid look at how a young Korean woman struggled with life and getting accepted into a TKMA where mainly men were allowed to train. It also delves into the rigorous training techniques of day's gone by in TKMA, and how these schools interacted with the local communities. The name "Iron Butterfly" should not be taken lightly, as someone who's familiar with Master Harmon, I've seen it first hand. I highly recommend it! :cool:

Last edited: Jan 7, 2012
  14. yusool

yusool Valued Member

It's the main reason I've spent no time contributing & discussing.

But back to the topic, thanks to Slip for taking the time to bring this to the attention of the Kuk Sool members on MAP. It's not everyday martial arts let alone Kuk Sool get featured on a news article. I happened to have seen it on Facebook prior to it being linked here but I'm sure there would've been others who hadn't.

With regards to the book I'd highly recommend it. A truly inspiring woman! I love the sections referring to old school training in Korea :) Whilst not a martial arts book there is enough in there to keep you interested if that's all you're after. However her story is just fascinating that I'm sure most would find it a good read!

A true martial arts master in every aspect!!!

15. slipthejab

Rubbish.

I posted it in the KSW forum because it's directly relevant to the forum. It's a book related to KSW written by a KSW practitioner. It's of note because KSW is by and large doesn't really make the radar of the general public. It's not earth shattering or causing massive paradigm shifts in the thought process of your man on the street... but it's worth taking a look at for a few reasons (which I'm sure most can discern without having to have an 'outsider' spell them out).

So why should everyone have to tolerate yet another thread getting dragged off topic with trolling by Unknown JKN because he doesn't like the fact that it's an 'outsider' who posted it - he then proceeds to finger wag about how it should go in the Off Topic forum. Don't expect to post on MAP and act like an asshat and get away with it. Fact.

Now back on topic. Please don't further derail the thread.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2012
  16. SsangKall

SsangKall Valued Member

1)there are a plenty of discussions worth chiming in for. whether or not you choose to contribute to the side comments or ignore them and stay on topic has a great effect on the discussion. what i see is a handfull of contributers, and although good(i get plenty of insights from the unknown, the pugilistica, the jayhawk, the jedi, etc.), but the potential is much greater. for instance: the 'yu' in yu weon hua can be interpreted by many a masters differently, but in my teacher's heart and mind it refers to a hanja character that represents flowing water. as a concept, you can 'yu' dialogue on this subforum with well thought posts.

2) totally! not only a master of technique, but also of dedication. does she talk about the san francisco days at london fish and chips in daly city? those were the days... i wish i could have been there!

17. In your own words:

Got that?

Osu!

18. JTMS

JTMS Valued Member

Wow Slip! Tell us how you really feel..... you are SUCH a bully! What is with you? You respond to peoples objections like a manic-depressive with a severe case of PMS! You sir are the "ASS HAT". You sound like the kind of person that has self esteem issues and bullies people online. What an ASS HAT you are!

19. CosmicFish

CosmicFish Aleprechaunist

OK, another potentially good thread in KSW derailed by silliness and petty sniping. :rolleyes:

Thread locked.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.