Irish cane fighting compared to FMA???

Discussion in 'Filipino Martial Arts' started by moe389, Aug 17, 2004.

1. moe389

moe389 Valued Member

I was talking to some fellow students and one of them brought up ICF but seemed to know no real info on it. So I thought I would bring it up here and see if any one has any info on this and how it compares to Kali or any other FMA styles?

thanx moe389

2. nunchukpaul

nunchukpaul Banned Banned

Irish you say. pretty simple they get ****ed pick up a stick and hit each other with it!!!

3. moe389

moe389 Valued Member

Whats wrong with that!!! :rolleyes: I was just interested if their was an actual fighting system.

thanx moe389

4. ptkali778

ptkali778 Valued Member

5. Diego_Vega

Diego_Vega Frustrated pacifist

A close family friend, Glen was actually the best man to my brother's wedding. Glen is actually much more known for his kung fu than he is for his "whiskey stick dancing." Glen was Canadian champion many times over for his hung gar and became known internationally for his "bench form". He was also the trainer for a while of Elvis Stoiko, world champion figure skater. I know that he's done some side by side promotion of his Irish stick fighting with Dr. Jopet Laraya's Abanico Arnis style. I do recall telling me that many of the techniques were similar, though, the stick is definitely just a stick.

6. Louie

Louie STUNT DAD Supporter

Bata

Hi Moe,

Ken Pfrenger, one of the top US researchers/teachers in Irish stick (Bata) is also a MAP member and can be found through the WMA forum of MAP.

Unlike FMA, the Irish stick has a club-like head and is usually made of blackthorn. The weapon is held in the central area of the stick with both club and butt being used to hit and parry.

Like the FMA V ______ (fill in the blank) thread, it's the fighter's ability, not the style...!

Louie

7. Crucible

Crucible Valued Member

Is this the same weapon used in "gangs of new york"?

8. teacher

teacher Valued Member

Could be Crucible but they did use a whole lot of weapons in gangs of New York. I seem to remember a large Irish man with a stick at one point and if my memory is correct then that was probably Hollywood's attempt at irish stickfighting. Dont know how historically accurate that was though.

9. moe389

moe389 Valued Member

The sticks made from a tree called blackthorn. The stick looked pretty thin with a fat knot on one end. From what i could tell any way from the picture.

thanx moe389

10. kenpfrenger

kenpfrenger sportin' a Broughton

Howdie Louie, Moe and the rest of you FMA folks!

Good to see some interest in Irishs tick play.....one of the biggest differences you will see betweent he Irishs tyle and just about every other indigenous stick fighting styles is that the Irish stick is not a substitute for a bladed weapon. It is not a training weapon or a safety weapon in any way. Therefore it is usually not used like a sword but like a cudgel which is just what it is. Of course there is the singlestick which was fought with in Ireland as well as in many areas of the world which is indeed a substitue for a broad/backsword....many variations.

11. moe389

moe389 Valued Member

I would like to see irish stick fighting for myself if anyone knows of a video i can purchase or a class i can watch I would appriciate it.

thanx moe389

12. Jonni

Jonni New Member

are those Irish fighting sticks called shaleighly's?

13. rebecca kane

rebecca kane Valued Member

yes i believe they are!! nasty things they are too when your irish mother hits you over the head with one!!lol!! I do irish dancing as well as fma and other martial arts i believe that irish dancing itself is a martial art!! you can see this from some of the obvious and not so obvious footwork. it would make sense to have a stick in your hand when executing some of the movements!!
    if anyone else has any information in the history of the shaleighly i would certainly be interested in hearing it.
    best regards bexter

14. Shadow_of_Evil

Shadow_of_Evil wants to go climbing...

Irish martial arts?
    You mean drunken boxing yeah?
    ;)
    Ah...the joys of being Irish.

15. rebecca kane

rebecca kane Valued Member

the weapon would not necesarily be held in the middle!! just as an esrima stickwould not necessarily only be held at one end. as with all weapons there are various ways of using it. I have found that the chunky end provides weight and power to strikes if you hit with that part and it can also be used to hook the opponents hand , arm, etc. if holding it near the chunky end it is great to do butt or punio strikes with. Just as the eskrima stick is most widely used for fma as it grows in the philippines, so is the shaleighly to the irish. I dont think there is overly much difference between irish stickfighting and fma as there is only so many ways that your body can move!!

best regards
    rebecca

16. ats

ats Valued Member

17. Helena Handbask

Helena Handbask New Member

Hi Diego, I currently train with Sifu Doyle at his school in Milton. His reason for promoting his family's stick fighting style more outwardly now is to honour the memory of his father who passed away (as you know it was his father who taught him Uisce). We still train in the Hung Gar heavily, and in fact three of Sifu's students made the WKA Team Canada this year in the kung fu divisions. Sifu himself has been made head coach for the kung fu stylists on the team.

18. Diego_Vega

Diego_Vega Frustrated pacifist

Please tell Sifu Glen that Roland Isla says hello from the Philippines. I have the autographed copy of his book displayed prominently on my book shelf and read it often for insight.

About time. Glen was one of the very few guys I know who was both a great performer and a great teacher. Glad to hear he is doing so well.

19. shootodog

shootodog restless native

laraya...batanggas.

maybe also due to the fact that there are only so many ways that a body can move. also, maybe due to the fact that most fights in the philippines and in ireland happen when people are drunk. :D

20. Helena Handbask

Helena Handbask New Member

:eek: Ouch!