Ip Man - Donnie Yen

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Coges, Jan 9, 2009.

1. Coges

Coges Valued Member

Please let me know if there is already a thread of this but I couldn't find one (which is surprising).

Has anyone else seen this film?

I watched it the other night and have to admit I am in two minds with it. The action was quite good (not as flashy as your standard Donnie film) and Donnie puts in a good performance as Ip Man. The overall film left me feeling a bit blank though, or maybe it's cause I watched it at 2am.

I would like to hear others opinions on it.

Cheers.

2. g-bells

g-bells Don't look up!

i just got a copy of it, will reply when i watch it

3. kensei1984

kensei1984 Panda Power!

It was one of the best martial arts movies that I had seen. Everything was structured well and the fight scenes were amazing while kept a bit more down to earth, with a couple of exceptions. Donnie Yen was awesome, and the lady that portrayed his wife was equally good, I chuckled everytime she glared at him for ignoring his family responsibilities.

Highly recommended film.

4. g-bells

g-bells Don't look up!

still waiting for my copy with english subtitles:bang:

5. kswflip

kswflip Valued Member

sorry for my ignorance can you pls tell me the title

6. kensei1984

kensei1984 Panda Power!

Its actually on Youtube at the moment.

7. In English?

8. kensei1984

kensei1984 Panda Power!

English SUBS. It's in Cantonese. No dub out yet.

9. Cool - I meant subs anyway - any chance of a PM for the link?

10. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

Anyone know the release date for the UK ?

11. EmptyHandGuy

EmptyHandGuy Valued Member

You can buy it from ebay on a multiregion disk.

12. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

Thanks, but I think it would be kinda cool to go see it at the movie theatre.

I can just imagine everybody breaking out into kung fu fighting all 70's style, outside after the flick, with the soundtrack ringing in my ears..

aahh.. Just like the stories my dad used to tell.

13. kensei1984

kensei1984 Panda Power!

[ame="http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=2U5IfZSnj3E&feature=PlayList&p=814405FE1C710548&playnext=1&index=1"]YouTube - Ip Man - Part 2 of 11 [Cantonese][/ame]

14. Chim3r6

Chim3r6 New Member

totally the best martial arts movie i've seen in a LONG time, the directing and action are supreme, much better than western "fight scenes" that switch angles too much and too quickly (i.e. Bourne Identity)

anyone know what martial art the Japanese General was repping? somewhere said it was karate... but i thought it was something else?

15. Looked like Karate to me to - not sure what style.
    The Japanese actor who fights Ip Man at the end of the is a Judoka

16. Chim3r6

Chim3r6 New Member

yeah, looks definitely like Karate, apparently they taught the Japanese actor more simple clean cut moves rather than some of the more complex moves other actors seems to have pulled off.

17. kensei1984

kensei1984 Panda Power!

It's really hapkido I reckon anyway, I dunno if anyone involved knew karate at all, but it was done with a karate flavor. The actor only knew judo. Sammo Hung was the one that helped teach the moves to him, as he was the choreographer of the film.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2009
  18. Wizwar31

Wizwar31 Valued Member

Overally, i thought the movie was pretty good. Cool fight scenes, and what can i say... donnie yen did a good job IMO

19. Chim3r6

Chim3r6 New Member

i also really liked him in Flashpoint, Donnie Yeung is able to pull off alot of various martial arts, and i think that makes him a very incredible martial artist/actor