Iowa - first day of practice

Discussion in 'Other Styles' started by slipthejab, Nov 8, 2012.

1. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

2. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Scary stuff. Those kids are conditioned better than most people I know.

3. m1k3jobs

m1k3jobs Dudeist Priest

Thanks man, that was awesome. Takes me back to my high school wrestling days.

4. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

Last edited: Nov 8, 2012
  5. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

This is what sunday church service looks like in Iowa. Bunch of round shouldered apes!

6. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

coincidence - im wearing a hawkeyes sweater!

7. Gripfighter

Gripfighter Sub Seeker

8. Pretty In Pink

9. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

The rule may be different but wrestling is still wrestling.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2012
  10. icefield

icefield Valued Member

ive seen your grappling....take it off now lol :)

11. Mangosteen

That's what mushroom said too!

12. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

ROTFLMAO! ahhahahahaha.... Zaad... when you get to HK we work on your stuff to move you up so you can proudly wear that sweater without people layin' into you! :D :eek:

13. icefield

icefield Valued Member

lol when i first started grappling it was Iowa all the way, saw the videos got the t-shirt (literally) and the poster (dan gable is the man) and some of us thought we were wrestling the Iowa way...then a few years later kenny johnson paid us a visit and i realised those youtube clips dont prepare you for what Iowa wresting actually is, and what the training entails

14. Mangosteen

I dont even do the grapple any moar but I'll start working on it

15. icefield

icefield Valued Member

all you need is a partner and some little experience and just have fun

:D

16. Gripfighter

Gripfighter Sub Seeker

do the grapple, is that some kind of dance :p

17. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

Gangnam Wrestling.

Straight away, you see no nonsense easy to do techniques. The first one you see with the run and roll, I was taught that when I was asked "What happens when I clinch your back?". I typically did the sit, 2on1 wrist grab, push down, break the clinch, side step and take their back.

Which works! Got a couple of sneaky kimuras with that too. The coach went, "well that took a bit didnt it?" And then he showed me that move, next think I knew I was pinned.

My wrestling has more or less stopped now, due to my injuries but vids like these just makes me wanna lace my boots again.

18. Late for dinner

Late for dinner Valued Member

Funny, those days wrestling every night after class were one of the few things that kept me in school!! Coach worked our rear ends off and in many ways was a sadist!! Still we had a relatively good crew and later on some of our guys progressed to a very high standard. I don't know enough about BJJ or Judo to know how they compare but the tough constant physical and mental exertion when you were in the middle of a match was a hurdle we all had to climb. I think that it's a great sport for school age people since after you have been through a class you have little desire to be aggressive without a really good reason. Wouldn't hurt with some of the obesity problems either.

Good of you to post the vid Slip, well done!!

LFD

19. Pretty In Pink

Britain needs a wrestling program. GET IT SORTED DAVIE BOY!

20. m1k3jobs

m1k3jobs Dudeist Priest

Back when I was in Jr High and High School wrestling used to be part of gym class. So everyone was exposed to at least some basic wrestling skills.

I think all wrestling coaches are at least somewhat sadistic. I know mine were.