inverted row form

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by flaming, Feb 12, 2012.

1. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

again, though, what stops you from putting on a vest with 100kg on it and grinding out some hard to do reps if you don't like the bodyweight version?

2. seiken steve

seiken steve golden member

Right, but you that sometimes doing a less challenging movement has merrit?

i can do 5x10 BW rows while benching on tuesday and still be fresh for heavy deads, BB rows and DB rows by thursday. the extra volume has added some while taking nothing.

going at things like that may sound hardcore but its a good way to get injured, i intend to be lifting hard well into the future.

3. Cail

Cail Valued Member

Nothing, of course, but why bother if i can row weights?

But i admit that it would be good if i couldn't. For example if i had access to something where i could do inverted rows and a vest/backpack, but no access to weights, i would certainly do that for a horizontal pull.

4. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

variety, maybe? fun? i myself do some exercises because i enjoy them, as well as for the benefits they bring (working on back levers on the rings, in the long term want to do an iron cross on them as well, and i do kettlebell bent presses, and kettlebell snatches with overhead squats to help reinforce an injured glenohumeral joint and put some extra work into my general leg flexibility)

5. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

if theres little use in a inverted row, theres little use in a push up

6. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

I can't believe this is even in question but whatever... let's take a look at at Cail's original questions and break them down shall we.

Uh because the muscle groups and recruitment patterns are different? An inverted row isn't a pull up. A simple look at the muscle recruited should tell you that. So why blame an apple for not being an orange? :confused:

If you're doing inverted rows you are recruiting more through your rhomboids than you are through your lats. So if your middle back was the focus and not your lats then the inverted row is going to be the move you'd invest a bit of time in.

What does this even mean? More elaborate technically? huh? You are at no greater risk of injury than with a chin up or pull up. Why would you be? Furthermore why would it have to give the same benefits as a pull up. The comparison is pointless as they are two similar yet different drills. They aren't the same movement and don't recruit the same muscle groups.... so why would you expect them to have the same benefits?

Define 'properly'. For someone who runs on about how risky they are and how technically elaborate they are you seem to know very little about the movement. :rolleyes:

Jeebus... you're kidding right? You do realize it's courses for horses here. It all depends on what type of program your on - and your program depends on your goal. So if your goal is to climb multi-pitch overhanging technical sports routes in the world or rock climbing why would you be going for maximal strength on a pulling movement over a strength endurance regimen. You wouldn't.... if your view on the issue wasn't so myopic you might be able to see that.

You haven't got a clue. If you're going to be willfully ignorant of all the factors involved why would you even bother to chime in?:rolleyes:

Last edited: Apr 30, 2012