introduction

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Demain, Mar 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

When I went to school we finished a sentence before starting a new line or paragraph, is that still the case?

Damn them typo's.

Two kinds of martial artists. Martial fighters, oh yeah and martial artists. Doh.
    So two kinds of martial artists and one of them is a martial artist.

2. Demain

Demain Valued Member

I don't only train in forms.
    Forms are one way to approach training.
    I also use several other ways.
    When you train by yourself you use forms. That is one way.
    When you train with others you work on applications, and many other things.
    That does'nt mean you can not do both.
    Everyone has there own curricullum.

3. Simon

The actual spelling is doesn't.

Their own curriculum (single l).

Happy to help.

Dear oh dear. How are you going to pass your exams at this rate?

4. Demain

Demain Valued Member

Why are you so concerned with spelling and typos?

5. Simon

One has to have standards don't you know.

If it wasn't for standards we would all be saying, "yeah man, I does forms innit, dey is like well wikkid, cos you can learn to hit people and everyfink."*

*Or something like that.

Edit. And I am over 14.

6. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

i'd rather know 5 techniques and be able to apply them well for a variety of scenarios than know 1000 techniques, that i could hardly apply for 1 scenario.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2012
  7. Seventh

Seventh Super Sexy Sushi Time

Verbal language is the most popular way we as humans use to communicate with each other. In the case of an internet forum however, the use of words is the primary form of communication. If you can't spell or utilize grammar properly, you then fail to communicate properly. The main point of a forum is to communicate ideas, theory's, and all that other fun stuff. Anyone who can't grasp the concept of spelling and grammar obviously has not passed Grade 3.

I'm guilty as well when it comes to typo's, and I'll admit it, but I always try to make a conscious effort to make sure my message is conveyed properly in a comprehensible manner.

To be frank, your posts look like someone experiencing a seizure whilst humping a lamp post typed them out.

8. Demain

Demain Valued Member

That is why when you look at techniques more as concepts you see that they are really the same, only slightly different applications.
    This is master key techniques and master key movements.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2012
  9. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

I thought Hicks law was a Hillbilly or Southern USA way to say "I can do what I please":rolleyes:

10. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

Welcome Demain,

I was wondering;

How many years training you had with;

Shaolin Grandmaster Sin Kwang The

Shaolin Master Matt Small

Shao-lin Master Steven Baugh ( student of Ark Wong )

Kenpo Master Al Farnsworth (a senior BB under Ed Parker)

Kenpo BB under Skip Hancock- (a senior BB under Ed Parker) --John Monserrat

David Masters - has 4 Black Belts & student of David German

Marvin Beastman Eastman - The king of the cage -- trained 1 time (what to you mean?)

Andreas Spang MMA & Boxing -- trained 1 time (what to you mean?)

and more...(what to you mean?)

11. Demain

Demain Valued Member

I will PM you.

12. kurupt2020

kurupt2020 Valued Member

Interesting thread , one word kept popping in my mind Fiction

13. Seventh

Seventh Super Sexy Sushi Time

I'd like to know as well please. I think a lot of people actually, would probably like to know. You should just post it in this thread perhaps, instead of PMing everyone?

14. Demain

Demain Valued Member

No, only the FACTS.

15. Martial novice

Martial novice Valued Member

Excellent. Welcome to Map. Out of interest, what have you learned works on the street? Map doesn't encourage street fighting, but if you've had to defend yourself a few times it would be interesting to hear what happened and if any of the styles or forms has proved more useful.

Of course, some may say that if you've needed to use your MA enough to know what does and doesn't work, something in your training isn't right and you should focus on self protection skills such as awareness and de escalation.

16. Demain

Demain Valued Member

Real Fights are Deadly and your life is on the line! They are no game!
    If a martial artist has never been in any then they shouldn't pretend to know and they can't possibly teach you how to defend yourself.
    That is like someone trying to teach you how to swim who has never been in the water. I have had to defend myself many
    times. I am not talking about only a street fight. I am talking about 5 guys hell bent on
    destroying you. When you have 5 multiple attackers swinging at you from every direction, one trying to throw dirt in your eyes, 2 guys swinging belts at you and 2 guys trying to hold you all at the same time, your techniques have to adapt, to be fast,
    multi-directional and there is no set pattern way! That doesn't mean flail, they have to
    hit the targets in a way that stops the compound effects of mass attacks and stops them from killing you.
    5 guys is like a deadly weapon. They could have done all kinds of life-altering damage
    to me if I didn't know kung fu. If any of the belt buckles would have hit me even
    a few inches lower on my head, they could have blinded me for life!
    My Kung fu has saved my life many times. I know many of the most effective ways to defend against many of these types of attacks.
    The same exact concepts that I have discovered are not taught in any dojo because unless they have the same exact experience, they have no way of knowing how to deal with those same exact attacks. They only have theories. I am not talking about one on one. I am talking about 5.
    Sparring with multiple attackers is not even REAL. Don't fall into the trap that it is fully preparing you and giving you 100% guarantee.
    I am not saying nobody should train it. I just feel too many instructors don't go beyond
    that to be open-minded enough to see that these are like comparing machine guns
    to nuclear bombs. You can't learn or teach something if you only have a tiny piece.
    Most martial artists have no real life applications, only what someone else has shown them. They only have bits and pieces of a much larger puzzle.
    Many people think they have what it takes to defend REAL ATTACKS because they have a black belt. They may have some or many but no one has them all.
    I have even heard some black belts say- once you are a black belt that means you
    will be able to beat anybody up and defend yourself against any kind of attack. NO
    That is a serious false sense of security that I don't want any part of!
    That is why all the greatest martial artist in the world teach that it is about experiences
    not only techniques. The reason something is not right is that they only have some of
    what works. Yes many techniques work. But when you put them into an unfamiliar
    real life situation they are like deer in headlights! Because how could you possibly
    come out of a life or death situation without the right way. Are you going to rely on only what they have shown you or luck?
    Too many martial artists try to compartmentalize everything into neat little boxes of techniques and other fancy words.
    You can't teach, train or defend that way, it won't work trust me, it makes no sense.
    You can't always think - if he does this- I am going to do this.
    It doesn't 100% work that way. What if you are waiting for something that never comes?
    Awareness and de-escalation is good, but if you don't have the right back-up plan, you could be dead.
    The way is in the training.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2012
  17. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

How did this five on one happen?

What led up to it?

How did you extricate yourself from the situation?

18. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Rather than deadly that sounds hilarious and ever so slightly playground and/or S&M.
    Some people pay for that sort of treatment.

19. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Simon said...
    This is incorrect as anyone that has done Ninjutsu and passed the Sakki test will tell you.*

*This is sarcasm.

20. Simon

Demain, shut up, you are making yourself sound stupid.

Since you are so fond of PM's, please note my last one to you.

You have been warned

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.