Introducing the Post Thanks System!

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Anth, May 17, 2009.

1. Anth

Anth Daft. Supporter

Hi all,

As fans of the Development Journal and those who've read the Suggestions thread will know, we've decided to add a "Post Thanks" system on MAP.

This means that you can now thank someone for a post they've made simply by clicking a button on the post. Its effectively a reputation system with some refinements (thanks are linked to posts rather than being arbitrary, you can't give "neg rep" etc.) :)

Simple enough, but there are some things you should be aware of with the new system:

* Banned users (including temp banned) cannot give or receive thanks.

* You can't thank posts in the following forums: Events, Jokes or Surveys.

* Thanks are removed when a post is deleted.

* There is no daily limit or post count required to thank posts.

* You cant thank your own posts.

I know most of us are adults but please don't abuse the system by posting useless threads with things like "thank me and I'll thank you back!" Posting "If you found this post useful then feel free to thank me," is fine though.

If we deem that you are abusing the system as above you will be warned a maximum of three times and then your thanks count will be reset to zero. As I say though most of us are adults so we shouldn't need to do this :)

Depending on how it goes, we could build the most thanked posts into this years MAP Awards too.

I think thats everything but if you have any questions then get them posted here, or if you want to test thanking posts you can do so in the Testing Area.

Have fun!

MAP Development Team.

2. Aegis

Aegis River Guardian Admin Supporter

We've had a bit of a discussion about how we want to set this up, and we came to the conclusion that we're happy for posts to be thanked all the way back to the very origins of MAP, so if you have some favourites from the past feel free to go and thank that user for their time and effort.

3. Spinmaster

Spinmaster Valued Member

Anth, I'll thank you for this post if you thank me back... :evil:

More seriously though, I think this is a great idea! :cool: (the thanking system, not my above offer :evil:)

4. Arnoo

Arnoo Work in Progress

At first glance the seems like a nice addition to the forum for a sec i thoughed that aswell but at second thought....... Judging from the first few topics we saw this in its just gonna be a huge spamm of

The problem with unlimited thanking is that it'l become somewhat mandatory in the sense of every long post that isnt somewhat extreme will get thanks from someone. In a discussion where people are divided in 2 groups group y is gonna thank everyone from its own group and people from group x are gonna thank everyone from its own group etc etc. As if it somewhat "strenghtens" their arguments. Not only that but all the extra banners are gonna make every topic like 30 cm longer.

If we really want this then make the banner a small icon on like the upper right of the post that just says very small this post was thanked by X people. And upon clicking it you can see who thanked it. So imo either remove it or change it to something less screen consuming.

5. Anth

Anth Daft. Supporter

I'm going to look at making the thanks area below each post collapsable at some point this week.

6. BLURINZ

BLURINZ Valued Member

I would prefer, or also like to see, a "like" button. ie agreement or amusement rather than gratitude,

7. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

That's how it works