Introducing myself and Xa-Ryu

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Xa-Ryu, Mar 3, 2012.

1. Xanth

Xanth Valued Member

I had a thought...we've got some real knowledgeable and talented martial art folks here, now I know not all of them are master level. I’m sure not all of them are able to trace their lineage back to this founder or that… What if they started their own art, a good art a legitimate art and wanted to promote it here. We’d most likely tear them up for not having the “chops” that we require in people who come here. I was also thinking, what if a fourth degree had some revelation that led him to form his own style… say a Bruce Lee reincarnation of sorts. Would you, not knowing this person, be a little leery of a new style headed up by a 4th degree? Or would you think he would or should self-promote to master?

2. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

It's all about being honest.

Read the thread and you should see the problems.

3. Aegis

Aegis River Guardian Admin Supporter

My take on it has always been that a style founder shouldn't award themselves rank and other style practitioners shouldn't award rank outside their own systems. That would immediately deal with the vast majority of dubious claims and would allow prospective students and interested parties to see, at a glance, the exact background of the person in question.

For example, if they would currently say "I'm a 9th dan in awesome-fu and have other grades in karate and aikido" they could instead say "after obtaining a 2nd dan in karate and a 3rd dan in aikido, I chose to blend them together into awesome-fu, which I have been training in and teaching for the past 15 years".

The trouble is, that doesn't sound as awesome to potential fee-payers.

4. Hive

Hive Valued Member

Just read through the thread with a grin but am now curious. How often does this type of poop happen?

5. gapjumper

gapjumper Intentionally left blank

Often. Very often.

And that's only the ones that get spotted!

Did you miss the recent "Enhanced Martial Arts" incident?

6. Aegis

Too often, sadly enough. The beauty of martial arts systems is that they are unregulated, so there isn't some nameless bureaucracy telling you what you have to teach. The drawback is that this also means there's no central registry for people's achievements, which makes histories extremely easy to pad out or outright fabricate. On top of that, there are some groups out there with fairly legitimate sounding names (to outsiders at least) which exist solely for awarding new titles and/or ranks to instructors who want a bit of extra publicity without needing to do anything other than writing a cheque.

This is why it's great for beginners to come somewhere like MAP to ask for help with finding a legitimate instructor. We might not all agree on what's good, but most of us agree on what's bad!

7. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

I am going to finish that article in my convalescence....surgery in a week, out if action for 6!

8. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

Good luck! Hope it goes well and you're back in action soon! :)

9. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

Same here.

I hear surgical mankini removal can be a tricky procedure.

10. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

+1 on the good luck & speedy recovery wishes.

11. OwlMAtt

OwlMAtt Armed and Scrupulous

Does anyone have any screencaps from the old Xa-Ryu or Kong Sento sites? Especially pics of Spencer? Some Bullshido guys would love to go after his military claims.

12. Aegis

Sadly I don't, and the usual archive website I use for such websites has trouble rendering the flash that was apparently used to create the page, so no joy there.

Anyone else got anything other than the content in this thread?

13. OwlMAtt

14. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

Sweet earrings. And what kind of sorcery did he use to wrap his hands?

15. shootodog

shootodog restless native

Get well soon Han!

16. OwlMAtt

17. OwlMAtt

Anyone who wants to follow this on Bullshido, check out this thread: http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=120865

Bullshido user Rock Ape has used what contact information we've been able to find for Spencer to try to let him know about the thread, and has posed some questions for Spencer about his military experience in the thread. Needless to say, his military claims are highly suspicious.

18. Hive

Hive Valued Member

I don't see the point. We all all know the guy's claims are a load of rubbish. Surely he's not going to respond to an online interrogation as it would merely highlight the fact.

19. m1k3jobs

m1k3jobs Dudeist Priest

I'm not sure about the UK but in the US there is the Stolen Valor act where someone making false claims could be punished by law. In addition this puts a red flag on his security work and anyone checking on the internet will see that there are misgivings about his military credentials.

There are also vet groups that are good at outing people who claim things like being a commando and oversea's assignments when they are not true. It's ruined several political carriers that I have read of.

20. OwlMAtt

Even if he doesn't, threads like this one and the Bullshido one can still hurt him. From what I can tell on the internet, people really are paying Spencer for his services. From now on, when they put "richard spencer ica" or "richard spencer international combat authority" into Google, both these threads will be on the first page of results.

There's a chance that will hit him right in the wallet, and that's enough for me. But what would be even better is if it causes enough of a problem for him that he has to come forward to try and make us back off.