Introduce Yourself

Discussion in 'Brazilian Jiu Jitsu' started by Ghost Frog, Oct 12, 2006.

1. Vince Millett

Vince Millett Haec manus inimica tyrannis MAP 2017 Gold Award

You can compete in BJJ within a few months of starting. I started BJJ at age 52 and have competed several times. Got some medals and lost a lot too. All worth doing, though, and age should not stop you.

2. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

Hey,

Did a Gi class Saturday morning - first in a long time. Have done a little Gi in the past but I've always gravitated more to No Gi. There's a relatively new class not far from home - IOW this feels like a class I can keep returning to regularly once a week. Haven't had that for a while, it's a nice feeling and what I've been looking for really. Things went pretty well, it's a beginners class and I managed to catch an armbar, but rolling with the instructor I got caught couple of times with Gi chokes, not that surprising as I know next to nothing about them. At least I was corrected on the right way to lead with my head lol...... and... then he got me in an armbar, ha.

axelb and Vince Millett like this.
  3. nasd90

nasd90 New Member

Hey guys. I am 47 yrs old and took a few BJJ classes about 5 years ago. I got hurt, and really didn't have my mind in it so I quit. Fast forward to now, I recently quit drinking for good and have been working out everyday for 5 months, and actually running a 10k tomorrow morning so I'm in a lot better shape and about 20lbs lighter. But I'm still nervous.

I got up the courage today to call the gym where I trained with a master black belt in BJJ, he answered. He is precisely the same age as me and I was nervous as hell! He was very encouraging and told me all about their new facility.

I don't want to give up again, and I don't think I will. I read this book called "Can't Hurt Me" by David Goggins; it's about realizing your full potential, and a lot more if you know of the guy. I heard him about 5 months ago, and haven't stopped working out since. The message infected me like no other... I'm hoping I can stick with it this time; there's nothing in my way but me.

Anyway, could use any encouragement .... I especially enjoyed Vince Millett's post about being 52 and kicking ass. Thanks Vince. You actually gave me the courage to post on here.

TALLAHASSEE, FL if anyone is near. Thanks!

Mitch, Frodocious, axelb and 2 others like this.
  4. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

Welcome to MAP!:)

5. Ahmed Altay

Ahmed Altay New Member

Hi guy's my name is Ahmed Altay and i live in the Netherlands. I am 33 years old an have practised different martial arts. I did some Kickboxing, Sibpalki and Shotokan Karate.

Eventually i wanted to start the CMA Chinese Martial Arts so i founded the Long Juan Feng school in Apeldoorn. My martial arts teacher is Sifu Patrick van Steen and he is teaching Southern Chinese Ng Ying Kungfu also known as Five Animal Kung Fu.

The style is very effective and realistic and i find that important because much of the CMA are too flashy. I am a white sash and in practise the art for one year. We have a nice group and and we motivate eachother to become the best we can be out our individual levels.

I came to MAP to learn from fellow martial artists and research effective styles like Kickboxing, MMA and BJJ and others.

Grond and Dead_pool like this.
  6. Kori The Grappler

Kori The Grappler New Member

Time for my proper intro!

My name is Corey (or Kori on here). I am a martial arts coach and professional grappler. I cross-train and hold a purple belt in BJJ, a brown belt in SAW and I am a Phase One JKD instructor.

I've fought as an amateur in MMA, Kickboxing and Boxing. These days I focus on training, teaching and the semi regular pro superfight or tourney.

My day job is working with SPED students in PE. I love old martial arts movies, single malt scotch and I live the carnivore lifestyle.

Looking forward to meeting other awesome grapplers and MAers.

Pretty In Pink likes this.
  7. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

That's cool man! I had to look up SAW and it looked interesting. Can you tell us a little more about it? Maybe even make a thread for it?

Kori The Grappler likes this.
  8. Kori The Grappler

Most definitely! Can I make it here in the BJJ forum since it is a grappling style?

9. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Your choice but either here or the wrestling forum. The wrestling forum also includes Catch so it would be alright there too.

Kori The Grappler likes this.
  10. Kori The Grappler

I made an entire thread with videos and all. Enjoy!

11. Michael Egley

Michael Egley New Member

Hello,

My name is Michael Egley.

I am the head instructor at:
    Egley Train Boise Jiu Jitsu - HQ

(Contact info deleted)

Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2022
    Dylan9d and axelb like this.
  12. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

Mod Note: Welcome to MAP jiujitsuindonesia and Michael Egley. Please be aware that if we don't allow personal information (phone #'s) to be posted. This is a safety issue. We also ask that if you advertise on MAP you contact listowners Mitch or Simon to help with the costs of keeping MAP running. You can find our Terms of service by cliking on the "terms and rules" button on the lower right hand corner of every page.