Intro recommendations

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Steel Accord, Nov 23, 2015.

1. ShogunGall

ShogunGall Valued Member

Also some of you may be annoyed by this, but another one that's close to my heart is The Forbidden Kingdom. It was the first martial arts movie I ever watched and was sort of an amalgamation of all the typical kung fu stuff - that kung fu exists in everything etc. Sure it isn't the best out there but I certainly love it for the meaning in it.

Also Jackie Chan fighting Jet Li is like a battle of the gods!

2. Steel Accord

Steel Accord Valued Member

I've never seen it, but that's actually a good point. Especially since it has an audience surrogate character that can sort of act as the stand in for whoever I'm introducing the genre to.

3. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

Swordsman
    Iron Monkey
    Legend of Fong Sai Yuk
    Drunken Master
    Chinese Ghost Story
    Police Story
    Sha Po Lang

4. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

Oh, nearly forgot Pedicab Driver.

5. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

I agree. But these are all martial arts movies.

6. Steel Accord

Right, that's what I'm asking for and got a good selection. Just wanted to know what was considered by some to be a good "entry point" film for someone who had not seen them and doesn't do them in real life.

My first one was Enter the Dragon but I don't think that was a good first film to see because I didn't really appreciate it until I re-watched it later as both a martial artist myself and a more refined film buff. (I watched it originally when I was like 14 or something.)

7. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

I couldn't even guess at the first one I saw. It certainly wasn't Enter the Dragon. :)

8. Steel Accord

As I said, film buff, and I have almost perfect recall for everything I simultaneously hear and see. (As in I can recite the majority of Disney films and others from start to finish from memory alone along with visual cues.) So remembering when I saw what is just as easy.