internet download manager alternative

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by tang_sou_dao, Feb 2, 2004.

1. tang_sou_dao

tang_sou_dao YoU cAnT sEe Me!

is their a free alternative to download manager as my downloads using IE are slow for a cable modem. On my old PC it would generally stay around 30 kb/s but now it is much lower. Internet download manager speeds them up but u cant use it after the trial. i am running on windows XP.

2. shipto

shipto Atkin's for life

3. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

4. Overmind1984

Overmind1984 Master of 0 and 1

I second Yoda's vote for Download Accelerator. GetRight is also another popular download manager, I have never tried it so can't say if it is good or not.

www.getright.com

5. shipto

shipto Atkin's for life

never used download accelerator but did use getright for a while cant remember why i got rid of it now???

6. Cain

Cain New Member

7. Mordred

Mordred New Member

FlashGet is incredible. The best I've had - and since it goes through port 80 the firewall is none the wiser :D

8. booksie_girl

booksie_girl Lucy the Terrible

I've never used a download accelerator/manager. What does it do? How does it work? And don't tell me to do a google, I'm too lazy :D

9. Mordred

Mordred New Member

FlashGet (to name one) will split a download into parts, then open separate downloads for each part. So you download large files in a fraction of the time. It will also allow you to resume downloads, you can pause a download and continue at a later stage.

Some download tools are only nice GUI's for downloading, others help you by increasing the speed at which you download (like I described above)

If you access internet from work, like I do, and you have to get past a firewall then use something like FlashGet, which will allow you to do large downloads from behind a firewall :D

Whats also nice is that they keep a history of what you downloaded so you can find items easily.

Hope that helps

10. Sauron9949

Sauron9949 New Member

I would also recommend FlashGet, i have been using it for years and never had any problems. havn't had any experience with the others so i can't make any recommendations there.

Sauron