Internal power in karate

Discussion in 'Karate' started by davidp123, Jun 28, 2013.

1. Rebel Wado

Rebel Wado Valued Member

I gave an answer, I thought.

2. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

It's all kicking off!!!1!1!! :D

It's an interesting thread guys, let's get back to it eh? :)

Mitch

Last edited: Jun 28, 2013
  3. GaryWado

GaryWado Tired

There are too many folk with the word Wado in their name

David - apologies if I came over abrupt.

I’m about to eat my dinner, however I will try to reply more completely afterward.

Gary

4. matveimediaarts

matveimediaarts Underappreciated genius

Yes, you'll find these things in karate. My style (****o-ryu) borrows heavily from the "soft" techniques of kung-fu, so it could be called "hard"/"external" and "soft"/"internal" at once. Really, like others have said, the internal/external labels are pretty arbitrary and ill-defined.

5. davidp123

davidp123 Valued Member

No bother Gary,i didn't see the detail of your original post,i was just wondering if the Nairiki no Gyo etc are still practiced in the Wado system independently of the karate kata and kihon.

6. Mitch

Damn confusing.

WadoMitchWado

7. Rebel Wado

Rebel Wado Valued Member

Can't beat them... join em. :Angel:

8. Mitch

Hey! Who did my avatar?

WadoMitchWado?

9. Mitch

Siiiiiiimooooooooon!

WadoMitchWado

10. GaryWado

GaryWado Tired

Actually - another way to say Wado is "Wa-no Michi"

11. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

:whistle:

Been nice knowing you guys. I expect next time you see me I will appear slightly differently.

12. stuckTKD

stuckTKD Valued Member

Brilliant, just brilliant!

13. davidp123

davidp123 Valued Member

interesting clip

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrjiVwGHN14"]Punch in Taijiquan - YouTube[/ame]

14. Mitch

15. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Standard party trick. In this case the absolutely terrible form of the attacker collapses itself making the "push off" appear more impressive. I would venture that his wrist hurt too and made him jump right back

16. Tom bayley

Tom bayley Valued Member

I feel that you are being a over critical of the video. The video seams to be a slowed down fairly unscripted introduction to some of the underlying principles of how to unbalance an opponent. This does not necessarily indicate that the instructor didn't know how to apply things under pressure.

In fact looking back at it now I notice that it is titled “fighting concepts from the tie chi form”. I don’t think it claims to demonstrate fighting technique.

I really disagree about this point. In many arts that combine boxing, grappling, and throwing, unbalancing the opponent is a vital part of neutralising their ability both to strike and evade while presenting opportunities to strike, grapple, or throw.

17. davidp123

davidp123 Valued Member

Interesting in the sense that Chen Zhoughua only applies seemingly minimal movment in applying his punch.

18. davidp123

davidp123 Valued Member

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZf4taeqht0"]Master Chen Xiaowang - YouTube[/ame]

19. Mitch

I thought Chen received the punch?

Just to be sure we're talking about the same thing.

What he delivers at the end is hardly a punch. Nor is what he receives, and watching his movement before it speaks volumes.

Mitch

Last edited: Jun 28, 2013
  20. gapjumper

gapjumper Intentionally left blank