Internal power in karate

Discussion in 'Karate' started by davidp123, Jun 28, 2013.

1. davidp123

davidp123 Valued Member

Yes one could call it internalizing power, i agree.

2. GaryWado

GaryWado Tired

Do you train in Karate David?

3. Tom bayley

Tom bayley Valued Member

This very similar to progression in kung fu. In our style of Hung kyun we stress the importance of relaxation from the start. But otherwise it is the same. It starts with bigger movements which become progressively smaller as the practitioner begins to feel and understand how the body moves.

This is particularly important for coordinated movement throughout the body. e.g a long punch gives more time for the movement of the legs, hip, back etc to come together and deliver power. Over time your ability to coordinate the body improves so that punches can be done over shorter and shorter distances.

4. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Internal power could be proven to exist even if it isn't explained.
    As I've said before...if internal power (as in "chi" or some other manifestation of power beyond what a physically coordinated person can achieve) existed then China would be winning every medal at the olympics.
    The fact that they aren't would suggest they are as limited to using their bodies as the rest of the people the world, with no notion of chi, are.

5. davidp123

davidp123 Valued Member

No Gary i train in yang style taiji but i am curious about karate.

6. davidp123

davidp123 Valued Member

I'm not talking about this kind of thing

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJr2BdUTYkU"]The Wondrous World of Chi Power - YouTube[/ame]

more like this kind

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNQ1gd9hoXI"]Fighting concepts from tai chi 24 form. Part 1. - YouTube[/ame]

7. Tom bayley

Tom bayley Valued Member

This assumes that competitors other than Chinese would not be benefiting from internal power. But this is not necessarily so. Take for example someone who is naturally good at boxing. They might just be naturally in tune with their bodies and able to access their internal power with having to work at it.

This ability might be rare but the potential pool of competitors for the Olympics numbers in the hundreds of millions. In all the high level sports i can think of, first you need the natural talent, then you get the training. Very few people reach the top levels of sport with average abilities.

Martial arts are for the average person not the super athlete, average people may be able to benefit from exercises that develop internal energy or help the to focus chi in techniques.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2013
  8. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

So you're "hai curious."

I am so sorry.

9. GaryWado

GaryWado Tired

Karate - as in Kicking and Punching? Or,

Karate as in - budo? Or,

Karate as a set of principles rather than a collection of techniques?

Or do you just like our Keiko-gi? ;)

Gary

10. davidp123

davidp123 Valued Member

probably all Gary

11. davidp123

davidp123 Valued Member

yes i am :p

12. GaryWado

GaryWado Tired

Gotta be honest the second vid wasn't that much cop either.

13. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

No...it shows that coming from a culture that believes in "internal power", and has the facilities to harness that power if it existed, makes no improvement to how well you can physically perform an activity.

50 year old chinese men aren't winning the weight lifting.
    5 foot tall chinese men aren't out sprinting Usain Bolt.

I conclude that either it doesn't exist or makes no difference to human performance beyond using regular old muscle and skill.
    Because if it did the chinese would harness it AND also the regular training that other people do. And win everything.

14. davidp123

davidp123 Valued Member

Got to disagree with u there Gary.

for me Ian Sinclair utilizes internalizing power,but i wont derail the topic,since its about Karate.

15. davidp123

davidp123 Valued Member

Is this your style Gary?

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHhgOFPiqfE"]Takagi Arakawa Wado Kai Kihon Kumite 1 - YouTube[/ame]

looks interesting

16. GaryWado

GaryWado Tired

Originally Posted by davidp123
    Is this your style Gary?

Takagi Arakawa Wado Kai Kihon Kumite 1 - YouTube

looks interesting
    It's the Wado group I belong to yes.

[edit] My group is affiliated to the JKF Wado-kai (of which Takagi sensei was (at the time) head of the technical committee).

17. GaryWado

GaryWado Tired

OK let's see where this goes.

Combatively, there are loads of red flags in that vid imo.

Gary

18. Tom bayley

Tom bayley Valued Member

I accidently did that pip squeezing thing little too well the other day. I sent my senior student 40ft towards the end of the hall before he bailed out and deliberately fell over.

Nothing to do with mystical energy though - As you squeeze down the opponent must chose to go to the floor or step backwards out of the press. However if their balance is already broken before they step they have to back pedal to stay upright. Effectively they run backwards while falling over. The power to keep them moving comes from their legs. If they stop peddling they just fall over (which is what my student did).

It was not intentional. It was the result of dumb luck. I seriously doubt weather I could intentionally repeat it. But it did look cool. :cool:

19. davidp123

davidp123 Valued Member

would u like to give an example?

20. Tom bayley

Tom bayley Valued Member

Personally I would not say that any of the techniques in this vid show internal power. They show a good sensitivity to the balance of the attacker and a good understanding body mechanics’ for breaking the opponents balance. But internal power. No

But i like the techniques - there are more on youtube

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEtXGC-ZdXQ"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEtXGC-ZdXQ[/ame]