Interesting question for y'all

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by TheCount, Apr 13, 2007.

1. TheCount

TheCount Happiness is a mindset

I'm gonna be doign bodyweights for quite a while, the whol pressups/situps/chins etc type of thing. However, how often!?

Chins I could realistically do max effort every second day - I don't get DOMs. I can do about 8 overgrasp at a time, it wwould be sets of 8, 7, 4 most probably.

Situps are similar... pressups I do get DOMs on though.

Would it be feasible jsut to do that lot as much as possible...It seems pretty appropriate for bodyweights.

2. blessed_samurai

blessed_samurai Valued Member

Wellll...it depends on the intensity. Just go by feel. You could easily do bodyweight stuff EOD just like you could with resistance training.

You can always do the grease the groove method

3. pauli

pauli mr guillotine

look up the armstrong pull up program.

i'd just link it, but i think if you google it yourself, you'll find pages with some commentary and other helpful info that may also help you.

4. narcsarge

narcsarge Masticated Whey

When I took gymnastics, we did BW exercises daily. Pushups, situps, pullups, hand stand pushups. Every day we tried to add one more rep to our sets. Now, we would probably have benefited from a day off in between full body workouts but almost everything we did required some sort of BW exercising.

Gymnasts now use BW exercise on a routine basis and they also hit the weights (at least, once the get into the mid to late teenage years). DOMS will diminish over time with any exercise routine and most exercises. Don't judge your progress on DOMS. As long as you are improving you are doing fine. Play around with the routine and see what works best for you.

5. Knight_Errant

Knight_Errant Banned Banned

Personally, I do bodyweight exercises after weights and before I go running. so that makes a good 5-6 times a week. 'ladders' are always good.

6. Hiroji

Hiroji laugh often, love much

I do bodyweight every other day. I seem to make better progress that way.

I tried doing everyday but i didnt feel as good when doing them.

Also, when i do bodyweight; pushups, pull-ups dips, squats, burpees...i never count how many i do. I just do them till i can’t go on any more. ;)

The whole idea of counting just de-motivates me! Plus it’s only in those last 2-3 reps when you struggle that you make any real significant improvements.

Thats just what works best for me though.

7. gornex

gornex Valued Member

what does DOMs mean?

8. TheCount

TheCount Happiness is a mindset

Delayed onset of Muscle Soreness. Basically you train, feel tired etc, then the next day you are like, ouch.

9. Incredible Bulk

Incredible Bulk Eat-Lift-Eat-Sleep-Grow

never base a workout by the soreness you have the next day, i rarely get sore now but the measurments are going up in a nice curve.

if i did however, 15 sets of pushups and 20 reps of benching i'm sure i'd be sore as hell the next day, its just not as productive as my normal workout.

narc's hit the nail on the head here... you learn well grass hopper :p :D