Interesting Clip: TCC vs Shuai jiao

Discussion in 'Tai chi' started by tccstudent, Feb 23, 2006.

1. tccstudent

tccstudent Valued Member

I got this clip from the emptyflower site... What do you guys think about this clip? The guy in red is supposedly a TCC guy. He looks like he has skillz, but what kind of skillz would you say he has? Sensitivity? Yielding? Neutralizing? Good rooting? Peng Jin? Is it even Tai Chi Chuan? Discuss....

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-7360397892170796596&q=taiji

2. Choices

Choices New Member

I'd say, sensitivity most. He definately seems to move with allot of the opponents attempts to strike the TCC guy down.

Good rooting? I do not know an example of good rooting, but from what i know on rooting is that it is very hard to push someone over who is well rooted. So i would say he definately has that skill, but not too good, but better then the opponent. Neutralizing, well i guess this goes with the rooting really, no?
    Peng Jin? don't know what it is.

is it TCC? Probably be wise not to discuss it, but he sure does use certain things seen in TCC, i guess.

3. liokault

liokault Banned Banned

I thought it was great.

He uses a lot of skill to neutralise the Shuai jiao guy and to remain dominant on the arms and body positioning.

Also he stops to do up his shoe laces.....great TCC.

4. Richard Dunn

Richard Dunn Banned Banned

Wrestling!

5. onyomi

onyomi 差不多先生

I thought it was good for what it was, i.e. a shuaijiao competition. Since I'm pretty sure there's no striking in a wrestling competition, therefore the Taiji guy's arsenal was much more limited than the Shuaijiao guy. The fact that the Taiji guy can beat the Shuaijiao guy in an all-grappling contest, despite the fact that Shuaijiao is the more purely grappling-oriented art proves that the Taiji guy has some skill. I also like the way he kept trying to make contact with the opponent to employ sensitivity. I've seen people much better at nian-jin, but at least he was making some use of the Taiji training rather than just purely wrestling. There are a ton of times where I see huge openings for all kinds of strikes, but I guess that's to be expected in a grappling competition.

He's no Yang Lu-chan, but he's also clearly gotten past the "just flail wildly and let all your training go out the window as soon as you start to free spar" level that so many modern CMAists get stuck in. All told, a pretty nice clip. We need more clips of Taiji guys actually doing some kind of sparring and less "qi manipulation," etc.

6. Taiji Butterfly

Taiji Butterfly Banned Banned

Agree with Onyomi on all points and would add: It ain't pretty, no sparring or fighting is outside the movies, but you can see jin being used in there if you look closely :cool:
    :Angel:

7. Taiji Butterfly

That's the waijia guy dude lol :D (he fell victim to the infamous "shoelace untying jin")
    :Angel: (BTW I have a clip of the "killer wedgie jin" if I ever work out how to take a clip from a DVD and post it here lol)
    Only just had time to watch the whole clip - doesn't it show perfectly that the waijia guy gets knackered and the neijia dude is still bouncing about like a spring lamb? Bless him!

8. Sankaku-jime

Sankaku-jime Banned Banned

good Job they told us who was who otherwise you'd have no idea that it was supposed to be tai chi ?

9. liokault

liokault Banned Banned

It was very sporting of the TCC guy to not just glue the other guy to the floor with his CHI power!

10. piratebrido

piratebrido internet tough guy

A Wudang Tai Chi Chuan dude is the world Shuai Jaoi champion. Paul Mitchell is the guys name, Irish guy.

Get it up them, one for the Tai Chi lads and lassies!

11. joltvolta

joltvolta New Member

At first I was kinda worried that the video was going to be a let down. After the opponent became tired (which seemed odd to me for some reason), the tai chi guy was able to move him arround pretty easily. I'm pretty new to tai chi, so at first, it looked like two lazy high school wrestlers going at it.

-- jolt

12. cullion

cullion Valued Member

Isn't the TCC guy in this clip Replusive Monkey from Bullshido ?

13. liokault

liokault Banned Banned

No.

RM on this clip from emptyflower

14. cullion

cullion Valued Member

Oh well. I'm pretty sure RM posted a clip of him in Shuai Jiao where they had to wear some kind of mortal kombat kimonos with one in red and one in blue.

15. Infrazael

Infrazael Banned Banned

Are you sure it was 100% Nei Gong? It looked a lot of normal Wai Gong to me.

BTW, feel free to speak Mandarin if you know it.

16. Taiji Butterfly

I'm never 100% sure about anything any more tbh (including whether people are being straight or pulling my chain...)
    I see 'red guy' using neijia (neigong is something else imo) but the physical will always creep in in a physical contest anyhow, I defy anyone to escape that. Blue guy is an EMA (waijia) fighter so he gets knackered as the fight goes on, while red guy just gets bouncier... inevitable result really imo
    BTW Feel free to speak serbo-croat if you know it :cool:

17. Infrazael

Infrazael Banned Banned

I'm being perfectly straight TB.

I think I understand where you're coming from.

Oh, with the Nei Jia/Nei Gong issue.

Nei = internal
    Jia = family

Nei Jia is essentially "IMA."

Nei Gong just means Internal Chi Gong.

There's not that much difference as far as language goes. . . one is about "general IMA" the other one about "Internal Practices."

18. Taiji Butterfly

Cool Inf :cool: (sorry for being so defensive btw lol)
    I don't speak much Mandarin and only a little more Cantonese, but I'm learning slowly...
    I do like the "neijia" word tho :)

19. tccstudent

tccstudent Valued Member

I assume the rules of this engagement were no punching/kicking which leaves the two to dance the tango mano-o-mano. I suppose there really is no way to verify 100% that the guy is a TC guy, but something could be there. Although, I wonder why he didn't try to "bounce" the guy out using his whole body power (sort of like shoulder strike). If I were in that sort of engagement I would at least try that..........

20. Taiji Butterfly

It's harder to do under pressure (without over-committing) than it is in theory and push hands. Most of the time he's just wearing the other guy down by neutralizing his attacks, also he's fairly tall which is not an advantage for shoulder bumps...ime
    Once the waijia guy is knackered he just throws him down a lot lol (and helps him up)