Inter-Gender mma fight

Discussion in 'MMA' started by Dan Bian, Nov 4, 2021.

1. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

Sigh *Quick note of clarification: The racism, sexism, homophobia overall was just me saying where I am coming from mindset wise. Hence why I said "so you all know where I am coming from." Because understanding brings about better communication? Maybe not.

It is talking about the rude awakening that my country - indeed the world - is far from as advanced in these issues as I thought it was. I have been very disheartened. Living through the emboldening of hatred that the Trump era has brought about, the threat of civil rights advances being revoked, the racial unrest brought to light by the George Floyd murder. I am discouraged, weary, and depressed over it. Many of us in the USA are.

I look to MAP to escape this environment. I just hope to come on here and talk martial arts. I am not equivalating what anyone says here as saying they are like the outright "isms" going on. I am saying the roots run deep and I feel we all must do our part to recognize it's deeply ingrained nature if we are to weed it out. There are cultural norms that subconsciously contribute to these issues that need to be rooted out. Introspection and room for growth among allies is a part of that process. It is a multi-faceted multi-layered issue.

I don't swipe backhandedly. I speak out directly. Hopefully, tactfully, but directly. Good lord, I would have thought you all know that about me by now? Maybe not. Again, David represented my position well in his post just above this.

Final clarification: All I said was I disagreed with the one line about hand positions, in an otherwise excellent video. I was not "offended" by it by any means. It certainly surprised me to see one quick throwaway mention compared to the issue here as this is a serious matter and the other is not.

There now, I keep trying to let this go back to the original topic, but things keep getting mentioned I need to address. I am available by PM if anyone wants. I am more than happy to let this be the end of it.

I agree that the skill level in that clip is awful.

I tend to think that if women and men want to fight, they are adults, let them. But then that opens up the whole issue of exploitation. Would promoters take advantage of poor fighters desperate for money and willing to take unnecessary risks? Heck, here in San Diego a couple of years back, we had an issue of some person offering incentives for homeless people to fight on the streets for Internet clips. He ended up being charged with something, but it goes to show how there are always those who will take advantage of those in need of money. That had to be what happened in the clip shown. They were both so terrible. Neither belonged in a ring.

Overall, Men are stronger physically. It is what it is. On a professional level, men fighting women is not going to be more than a rare match for an attention grab. There is too much of this going on in MMA lately in all sorts of ways. The loud mouthed people who aren't very good getting matches with established fighters WAY past their prime seems to be a trend lately. Exhibition fights for all the wrong reasons. It is part of why I have lost interest in MMA.

Sadly yes. It is not a well regulated industry at all. I agree there needs to be a fighters union, but I don't see it happening anytime soon.

But then again, would I watch Amanda Nunes fight some loudmouth fight some male fighter in a MMA style match similar to the Tennis match I referenced? (Billie Jean King vs Bobby Riggs) Yes, yes I would absolutely watch it.

axelb, Grond, Travess and 1 other person like this.
  2. Grond

Grond Valued Member

Thanks for this insight, but I still doth protest. Hopefully we can work this out just between us, no need for Don Quixotes. :)

The reason I was not patronizing you is I was sincerely asking you to ponder my words. I was not being condescending, but trying to explain that "do you still beat your wife" is not a sexist joke. As I said, if anything it's a master class idiom in breaking down male rhetoric. What Simon said was also not a sexist joke. If anything it made fun at the expense of dense men, not women. It's a matter of perspective, so I believe you're offended by it simply because of the fact that you didn't look at it from a different point of view. Based on what you said, a lot of things are offending you. And that's your right. And I see your point of view, I just don't think it's complete.

But I don't believe for a second Simon would intentionally be sexist or even unintentionally. Neither would I, I'm a respectful person in general.

But what you just stated to me here, "mansplaining" was itself sexist. As if because you are a female, you own the right to judge what is or isn't sexist. Otherwise I should be able to say things like you are "just being emotional", "womansplaining", whatever. I don't think these are right to say to anyone, because everyone has feelings that deserve to be heard, as you pointed out.

David and Dan did indeed leap to your defense, and I think that must be incredibly ingrained in them, as it is with most people who consider themselves "gentlemen". I expected that.

So let's just drop the whole affair and agree that men and women never quite seem to see each others POV except when stars align. .

David of course we can reset. I'm not a grudge holding individual by any measure.

Dan, I really am not a patronizing person. I hope my posting history shows that I rarely get judgemental or talk down to anyone, even as easy as that trap is to fall into, online.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2021
  3. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

We've hit that wall, so rather than bang my head against it, I'll just say this:

I post in agreement with men all the time. If someone doesn't get an argument made by a man, I will reiterate, paraphrase, reframe and directly quote it if someone disagrees with it.

Not once have I been told I am leaping to the defence of men out of some kind of chivalric reflex, or that I am being sexist towards men because I don't think they can defend their own arguments. Yet this happens with some regularity when I do the same for women, especially when sexism is part of the conversation.

Funny that.

hewho, axelb, Dan Bian and 2 others like this.
  4. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

Discussing the video.

2 consenting adults in a monitored environment. Is it in bad taste? Yes.
    Skill level. Non existant.

Is it the 1st inter gender match? No.

In Russia there was a red headed MMA female fighter that beat a very overweight male youtuber. She got signed to Bellator.

She won. No one really batted an eye. No discussion of domestic violence etc.

Amanda Nunes. Previous NHB vids of her beating men. No issues.

Thailand - mixed gendered / trans fights are pretty much the norm.

Craig Jones vs Gabbi has been hyped (semi jokingly) for a while.

So the question is, why is this match doing the rounds as it is?
    Personally I like to think it is because of the ridiculousness of flash in the pan freak fights which need to stop ruining our combat sports.

5. David Harrison

6. Dan Bian

Dan Bian Neither Dan, nor Brian

See, as I don't actually follow MMA/combat sports, I didn't know that this format is already common around the world. I only heard about this fight from a fuss on social media.

7. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

It's not common at all, and I'm glad it's not.
    It completely negates the idea behind weight classes and banning the use of PEDS.

In an individual level people have the freedom to choose to do it, but in a systematic level it's a good thing it's not common or popular.

We have combat sports seperated by sex and weight classes for a reason.

Mushroom, Dan Bian and David Harrison like this.
  8. David Harrison

Out of interest, how did you feel about the lack of weight classes in the first UFC'S?

9. Dead_pool

As a sport it was terrible for the athletes longevity, on an individual level as long as they gave informed consent it was up to them, but there's a reason why they instagated weight classes, brought in brain scans, stopped people fighting more then once a night, standardised rules etc, same reason why poor match making can be good for the spectacle, but bad for the buisness long term.

It's good it's no longer NHB, although it was an exciting time to be watching, the Brain injuries just weren't worth it, especially considering the low amount of pay the fighters get.

The Fighter Who Stayed Too Long

Grond, Dan Bian, axelb and 1 other person like this.
  10. Mushroom

And I 100% whole heartedly agree with you.

But as soon as someone (looking at you Joe) mentions Fallon Fox....

@Dan Bian its not common at all, just saying its not the 1st time. (Probably not the last) but it has garnered a lot of attention.

Here is the Russian M v F fight i mentioned. FYI its all in Russian so if there is any swearing NSFW language.....I wouldnt know
    Again though, spoiler. She won. But should this fight have happened? No. But its Russia.
    Are both aware of the consequences? Yes.
    Do I personally condone it? No.

My main point, that is that theyre 2 consenting adults, without any vulnerability issues understanding theyre going into a fight, with rules and are monitored (we presume by professionals)

Grond, Dead_pool and Dan Bian like this.
  11. Dead_pool

I'm sure only the most upstanding professionals get involved with (checks notes) russian and polish MMA events known for their freak show match ups! (Your point is definitely true though)

It's like the group MMA or obstacle course MMA that was popular a few years ago

Or even bare Knuckle events:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/metro....ut-at-bare-knuckle-boxing-event-15373678/amp/

Whilst people want to do these, people are also pretty stupid as a whole, (remember people voted for Hitler and buy a lot of Coldplay albums), not individually, but as a group we are just not that clever.

I'm not actually sure what my point is.

New Triller direction, boxing/MMA-ish mashup, could mess with Dana White and UFC - The Ring

Triangle ring anyone?

axelb and Grond like this.
  12. Tom bayley

Tom bayley Valued Member

Ramsy do-dah has posted that he is in favour of doing away with the rounds in mma. i.e it is just one round that goes on until somebody wins or a time limit is passed when the fight is over. Would this benefit female fighters ? Would the heavily muscled guys gas and/ or fatigue quicker, if they had no time to refresh their blood oxygen between rounds?

13. Grond

Grond Valued Member

I think it would fundamentally change the entire sport and make it a little more entertaining like it was in early UFC. A lot of the rules like rounds and scoring (gloves) were added in to make UFC a little more standardized (I believe for television audiences who were used to that in boxing). The "old school" UFC way was a fighter either won in seconds because they were superior, or after an insane amount of time watching his opponents helpless in Gracie's closed guard. What would probably happen without rounds would be something similar to if everyone knew BJJ in the beginning, and no clock or bell to worry about in the middle of a fight. Things would last a certain number of minutes, and what would be on display more than anything would be endurance, ultimately. Two people rolling on the ground who know how to grapple, one is going to tap or gas out first and that's the loser. Two people on their feet, it's just going to be a matter of time before somebody's bell is rung, also the loser. Makes sense to me. Only in very equalized matches would there be a need to check scorecards at the end.

On the other hand, WBC Boxing has 12 rounds today rather than 15 because someone died after 14 in 1982. So there's got to be some sort of common sense limit.

Whether or not it helps female UFC fighters as always will come down to individuals, not genders as a whole. After watching that spunky Russian (who had great form and footwork, considering the weight outclass) I'm more convinced than ever that training right is what matters in a fight, rather than your genitalia at birth.

Speaking of WBC rounds, mens are 3 minutes and women's 2 minutes. Never, ever understood this rule, because I never met a female boxer who couldn't last a 3 minute round.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2021
  14. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

And the jury's still out on which one is worse....

axelb and Mushroom like this.
  15. Mushroom

I liked the obstacle course MMA, that double leg off the 10 foot post was outstanding.

However that should not happen again

axelb, Dead_pool and Grond like this.
  16. Tom bayley

Tom bayley Valued Member

their are distinct physiological differences between men and women that make women worse at doing some things and possibly better at others. take road cycling for example. Most average people would literally die if they attempted to complete a mountain stage of a tour. the sustained level of energy output is mind boggling. the daily training regime is punishing. as a result most professional cyclists have extremely low body fat. it has recently been discovered that fat is an organ. it produces hormones that impact on the behaviour of other organs within the body. hormone regulation in men is different from that in women. women's endocrine systems are far more sensitive to loss of fat. as a result extreme endurance training is more harmful to a female body than a male body.

I have heard it said that women are better suited than men to mid to high energy activity than men (rather than extremely high like cycling) . although I do not recall any specifics. te rules of contact sports have been developed to provide a good spectacle to the paying public with men as the fighters. In my opinion it should be possible to tweak the rules to make it farrier in terms of balancing the advantages of male and female physiology without dumbing down the sport.

17. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

That's because Ramsey doo-dah doesn't run an MMA organisation with TV rights and exposure (afaik).
    There's no way doing away with rounds would make MMA more entertaining.
    You would get a lot of gassing out and a lot of stalling and stalemates.
    You'd probably also get some really tentative starts as people adjust to having to pace themselves without a break in 5 minutes.
    You'd also get no indicator on who was winning until the end or time for corners to give advice and adjust game-plans mid fight.
    You would also (more importantly for the people who control such things) get less time for breaks and adverts and sponsors logo being on screen.

The "no time limit" approach has always bothered me too. Gracies are terrible for this.
    Sure it's a "pure" way of fighting I suppose but there are pretty much no fights in the real world that have endless time to play out (there are some of course).
    Give it enough time and mates, bystanders, witnesses, the rozzers or some sort of security will turn up to complicate matters.

Grond and David Harrison like this.
  18. Mushroom

Old school Pride FC
    Round 1 - 10mins
    Round 2 and 3 - 5min

Sometimes that 10min is a loooooooong 10 and it favoured the wrestlers and grapplers initially. So sometimes you end up with 9.5mins of hard core, edge of your seat, white knuckle causing.....er.. full mount.

I still love that format though.

Famously in regards to no time limit. Royce v Sakuraba. Its a fun watch if you know what youre looking at, but 90mins is a long time for a match. And that didnt even end dynamically.

So for modern audiences and as a sport...rounds and time limits. Lets leave the "theres no timer in streets" talk for another thread....

axelb and Grond like this.
  19. Grond

Grond Valued Member

I'm sorry, but who is Ramsey doo-dah? Ramsey Nijem?

20. David Harrison

Ramsey Dewey. An American who runs an MMA gym in China. He's got a popular martial arts YouTube channel.

Grond likes this.